Leg Spin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Leg Spin

Simon - the first match I bowled really well and with loads of confidence and this was in the rain on a soaking wet wicket and I was managing to get the ball to turn with my wrong uns. Me and an off-spinner slowed the match right down and caused 2 batsmen that were racking up loads of points to dig in and defend right through our spells and we won the match.

The other 2 games I've played subsequently have been on dry wickets that look as though you'd be able to eat your dinner off of they looked that perfect! On these I've not been able to get the ball to turn. On both ocassions I've had to bowl into the wind and this has knocked my confidence a bit as I'm pretty slow to start off with and then to go into the wind obviously slows me down more. In both those games I've not been that affective. The last game though was a lot better than the 2nd game. I realised that if I bowled down the offside and tried to turn the ball the batsman was consistently hitting the ball out to cover and there was a bloke there but he wasn't agile enough to get the ball and to be honest he needed to be closer as the ball kept falling short of him. I had another ball that should have been caught but was dropped at mid wicket and one that went to deep cover point twice. It's a Sunday 2nd XI so the teams made up of blokes my age and kids and they don't take it quite as seriously as I do with regards practice, warming up and agility, so I can't be too disappointed when they don't quite get there!

I'm quite happy with the way it's going and the team - especially my captain (the left handed off spinner) is more than happy with my improvement over the winter and he's really encouraging in the field when I get it wrong or get hit for 4's and stuff. One of my main objectives was to threaten a bloke in the team called the Wizard for his title of main Leg Spinner in the team. They're already saying I've more than surpassed him because I can get the ball to land on a length, line and get it to turn to off and leg at will (Some of the time).

It might be also after watching the NZ - England match highlights tonight that I'm expecting too much of my own bowling? I noticed that both Panesar and Vettori hardly get the ball to turn, whereas I'm trying to get the ball to turn like Warne's ball of the century against Mike Gatting every time and when it doesn't I'm gutted!

I think I've got to be a bit cleverer, tactical and more thick skinned when I do get hit for 4's. I'm optimistic that by the end of the season I'll be the 2nd most productive spin bowler in the team.

Yes Dave, i think you're expecting 2 foot of spin. You're simply not going to get it. Yesterday i didn't get an inch of spin, due to the wind factor which was difficult.

Also watching the Eng-NZ highlights i've noticed the grip of both Vettori and Panesar is using a lot of thumb, so i may try SLA once again and see how much improvement i can get using the thumb.

Dave, commitment wise, your second-to-none! You have enthusiasm, enjoy bowling and have some self belief.

We can't all achieve to the highest standard, but if you enjoy trying to reach it, then a failed campaign won't be bad! Thats kind of something I try to live by.

Cutting it down, it means that if you strive to be the best, then enjoy trying to do it! Because if you fail, then atleast you've enjoyed your way there!

Good luck!

The gutting thing is in practice situations some days I get ridiculous amounts of spin. But as you say all the time I'm striving to get that in a match situation and enjoying the whole process it can only be a good thing. I think the thing that has left an impression on the blokes that I play for is not only the fact that I've spent all winter practicing (they're avid readers of my main blog) how to bowl length and line, but the fact that I think outside of the box and I'm constantly looking at different ways to bowl. They're all waiting for me to produce my "Gipper" ball in a match situation and see how it works! I don't think they've ever had anyone before that bowls more than 2 variations and is so enthusiastic about spin bowling! As far as I'm concerned this is only the beginning and in the longer term I'm after the crown of top wicket taker - next summer or the one after!!

Mas Cambios has just emailed me and it looks like we're shutting this down as it's got too big. But we're being re-born again in a new form - so look out for the new thead. I think all this is going to be archived somewhere? See you all in the new bit once they get it up and running

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back