Leg Spinning

welliemaf

Leg Spinning

l am a 18year old keen bigginer with a very good leg spin turn. l have never received any professional bowling coaching and l struggle with finding a good attacking line and controlling my bowling. May you please help me with advise on which line l should bowl, how to control it and find consistance. l also need to know how l can lure batsmen into getting them out.

Re: Leg Spinning

Hi Welliemaf and welcome to the board.

I'll be able to offer some help later on this evening (have to pop out for a bit right now) but I'm sure that in the meantime some others will be able to offer some help and advice.

welliemaf said:
l am a 18year old keen bigginer with a very good leg spin turn. l have never received any professional bowling coaching and l struggle with finding a good attacking line and controlling my bowling. May you please help me with advise on which line l should bowl, how to control it and find consistance. l also need to know how l can lure batsmen into getting them out.

I am by no means a professional coach, but I suggest that you bowl on an off stump line and at a length at which the batsman must step forward as far as possible to play it. If anything, bowl fuller than this length if you cannot bowl at this length exactly.

I have no precise tips about pace, but you should look to be bowling at a pace greater than a one in which the batsman can safely step back to all but a half volley.

The general line for leg spin is to aim for the leg stump or just outside it to allow for the turn. You will also have to be prepared to alter this slightly, depending on the batsman\pitch and the amount of turn. However, you may get just as much success by aiming for middle or even off, experiment and see what works.

The ideal delivery is one which is flighted above the batsman eye line and then lands in an area which is inviting him to drive the ball.

To help practice, mark out an area that is roughly where a batsman will be tempted to drive, then practice flighting the ball so it goes above the batsman eye line but lands in this area.

It's not vital to hit the same area on the pitch every time (as doing so would make you very easy to hit) but you do need to be able to hit an area with consistency.

Since u r a beginner in Leg spin.I would suggest that while bowling watch the batsmen toes.
He will be taking a leg or middle stump guard.So watching at his toes while bowling will get u the perfect pitching for leg spin.

Also here is a post of Warne Master Class for your further knowledge:
http://video.msn.com/?mkt=en-au&bra...w:ns:MSNVideo_Top_Cat:ps:10:sd:-1:ind:1:ff:8A

Lastly practice and more pratice.
Best of Luck :)

Im new to this game also and i've got a few question as im really keen to become a decent spin bowler.
1st question.Is it true that leg spin can get more turn than off spin?
2nd question.Is offspin easier to play for batsmen than leg spin?
3rd what kind of the strategy should spin bowlers have? like frustrating the batsmen and get him out by his own mistake or be a bit more aggressive.... hopefully you guys know what im trying to say hehehehe :p

Thank you so much guys :)

yeh but jus practice aye
and the leg spinner in our team wen he first started got smashed all around the ground u jus gotta get past that stage
cuz he now is one of them top wicket takers in our comp

Gothim!!! said:
1st question.Is it true that leg spin can get more turn than off spin?

I'd say yes, just because of how leg spin is bowled - with the wrist instead of the fingers. You're able to get more rip on the ball and a bigger turn.

Gothim!!! said:
2nd question.Is offspin easier to play for batsmen than leg spin?

Debatable, depends on a lot of a factors but I guess stats may show that leg spin is slightly harder to play at the top level. This is due to the number of variations of ball, as well as the increased rip and bounce.

Gothim!!! said:
3rd what kind of the strategy should spin bowlers have? like frustrating the batsmen and get him out by his own mistake or be a bit more aggressive.... hopefully you guys know what im trying to say hehehehe :p

Patience is the key. Invite the batsman to drive by putting the ball in that area, use flight, drift and the pace of the ball to trick the batsman out. It really is a game of cat and mouse and you have to be prepared to sometimes give away a few runs before you get your man.

Hi Gothim;Welcome to the Spinner's Club :)
Regarding Ur Q1: Leg spin or Off spin; Both can get adequate amount of spin in their respective skills.
Q2: It depends on the batsmen playing skills and bowler's accuracy.
Q3: from personal experience;I would like to furstate the batsmen with accurate line and length alongwith pace variations.Let the batsmen make a mistake either he will take a chance against u or the other bowler.
Be aggressive but always keep Ur head cool it will help u during match pressure.
Most importantly;make Ur net practice worthy enough.
Observe Ur line & length alongwith chances of not bowling any "no-ball's".
Consider the net session's as match situation and drive the batsmen mad with Ur accuracy even if he is Ur best friend.Then as Ur confidence grows so will Ur skills and variations.
Something to encourage u :D ; Remember the leading Test wicket takers are spinners: Murali,Warne and Kumble.

Sweet thanks heaps guys :)
Thats quite comforting to hear that at the start spinners get bash around a bit :) cause at the moment im facing that situation hahaha
and another question..... When ever i tried to give the ball a bit of a flight the batsmen would step up and smash it, and thats made me so frustrated. I know that i built their confidences up by doing this and lure them to take riskier shots but it seem to me that i couldnt take advantage of this. so the question is how can i take advantge of this and get the batsmen out?

Cheers
:laugh:

Gothim!!! said:
Sweet thanks heaps guys :)
Thats quite comforting to hear that at the start spinners get bash around a bit :) cause at the moment im facing that situation hahaha
and another question..... When ever i tried to give the ball a bit of a flight the batsmen would step up and smash it, and thats made me so frustrated. I know that i built their confidences up by doing this and lure them to take riskier shots but it seem to me that i couldnt take advantage of this. so the question is how can i take advantge of this and get the batsmen out?

Cheers
:laugh:
It is OK to get furstated but u have hold ur emotions and do the thinking part.
For more details;read my above mentioned post.Most of the basic things are covered.The rest is on ur hardwork and dedication.

Gothim!!! said:
When ever i tried to give the ball a bit of a flight the batsmen would step up and smash it, and thats made me so frustrated. I know that i built their confidences up by doing this and lure them to take riskier shots but it seem to me that i couldnt take advantage of this. so the question is how can i take advantge of this and get the batsmen out?

When you flight a ball, you need to get it above the batsman eyeline, this is where curve\dip comes into play to make sure that the ball drops and pitches where you want it.

welliemaf

You said -

There's loads of posts in the main leg spin thread that relate to this have a look in there.

Thank you very much guys, your advise proved to be of great help, but l have another question.
Q1:Should one bowl close to stumps or away from them if you are having a lot of turn or little turn.
Q2: Which line l should bowl if the batsman is taking a middle stump guard and opening his stunt such that its dificult to bowl him out from around, again l needed to know whether l should bowl close to the stumps or away for such a batsman.

Back