Legspinner Practise Issues

big kev

Hey guys

I am a legspinner in year 8
I started getting interested in cricket 2-3 years ago, from watching the Aus v SA series on telly
In my quest of becoming a good bowler, i found a grip where i could get loads of turn (I dont use it now, though). Its basically a paceman's grip with the fingers pointing 90 degrees to the right. Back then, i could not bowl the whole length of the pitch

For a period of time I had incredible accuracy and turn. Since then I've lost a bit of turn, but developed as a few variations, and usually bowl with quite a bit of flight.

I work on my bowling in the nets quite a lot (around 3 times a week).
The problem is, i get frustrated because in some sessions, I bowl really good, but then the next session, whatever I try, its like my body has forgotten how to bowl decent balls. For example, a few days ago, i concentrated on my keeping my body straight in my short run up, strong front arm as well as using my bowling shoulder more, which produced balls which were accurate, and turned. Today I tried bowling, but most of the balls were too short/full and wide.

Please help me
eek.png

my son is 12yrs he is very good legs pinner but some times flight is very high what d to reduce flight ow much flight should be

I think that's just simply a case of bowling faster - faster will be flatter. But flight is also good, you just have to develop faster flatter deliveries whilst also retaining loopy flighted deliveries as well.

my son is 12yrs he is very good legs pinner but some times flight is very high what d to reduce flight ow much flight should be

What someblokecalledave said, a bit faster, let the ball go a bit later.

Sounds like he lobs it too much at times and you see it a lot with young kids trying to spin the ball and go the distance. They can be quite effective bowlers in the lower grades of junior cricket lobbing it way up like that. Standing side on it is obvious when a kid is giving it way too much air and it has to be corrected and it is only a small adjustment usually.

A few ways way to fix it, what you might have to do is face him in the nets and make him bowl at you with less flight but still getting a good length, you should be able too see the ball going too far above your eyeline at the batting end, if it is point it out then try and correct it ball by ball. Then continually check his flight from a good vantage point in the field, out of nets if possible.

Younger players have a habit of leaning back when bowing leg-spin, which is often the biggest reason for the ball going high. Get the player working from a base position with head over the front knee to keep weight forward. This will help him to bowl it flatter whilst still retaining loop.

Hey guys

I am a legspinner in year 8
I started getting interested in cricket 2-3 years ago, from watching the Aus v SA series on telly
In my quest of becoming a good bowler, i found a grip where i could get loads of turn (I dont use it now, though). Its basically a paceman's grip with the fingers pointing 90 degrees to the right. Back then, i could not bowl the whole length of the pitch

For a period of time I had incredible accuracy and turn. Since then I've lost a bit of turn, but developed as a few variations, and usually bowl with quite a bit of flight.

I work on my bowling in the nets quite a lot (around 3 times a week).
The problem is, i get frustrated because in some sessions, I bowl really good, but then the next session, whatever I try, its like my body has forgotten how to bowl decent balls. For example, a few days ago, i concentrated on my keeping my body straight in my short run up, strong front arm as well as using my bowling shoulder more, which produced balls which were accurate, and turned. Today I tried bowling, but most of the balls were too short/full and wide.

Please help me:eek:

This sounds very familiar. Some days your Warne, some days your the worst bowler on the planet. I find now when I am bowling rubbish in the nets its generally from trying too hard. Sometimes its best just to take a deep breath, try and be really relaxed and loose and just bowl a few overs without thinking too much about technical issues. Then hopefully a few come out nice, your confidence builds and you can start trying a few things again. I have been guilty of bowling many a session getting more and more frustrated and basically practicing bad habits and the harder you try the less relaxed you are.

Yeah that's true as well, when you get that tense you have to stop, have a rest - go and have a cup of tea or something and get your head straight and come out loose and relaxed.

flight is directly related to speed and length. the length is constant, there is a specific length you want to land the ball on in order to cause the batsman most problems. the trajectory the ball must take to reach that length is dependent on speed and flight (plus the height of the bowler, taller means a little less flight. and also overspin or backspin and the magnus effect will cause the ball to carry or dip a little too).

if you are short (e.g. a kid) and bowling slowly, then youll have to lob the ball up. if you bowl flat then it will be short. its as simple as that. im 6'1" and bowl reasonably quickly for a club leggie now, and currently im overpitching because im struggling to reduce my flight enough to find a good length.

Back