Low and slow wickets

aussienads

Low and slow wickets

Hi everyone,

Has anyone got any thoughts on how to play really slow, sometimes wet English wickets. I find myself struggling with the low bounce and getting through shots before the ball has arrived.

Any ideas? I can't wait for it to stop raining!

Cheers,

Adam

Re: Low and slow wickets

Welcome to the forums Adam!

I guess the key thing is patience and getting onto the front foot. It also helps to be realistic in your outlook and bat accordingly. The runs are still there, they just need to be taken in quick singles and 2's rather than boundaries (as often the outfield will be green and slow as well).

As for getting through the shot too early, that is something you need to work on, it'll take time to adjust to the slower pace and the best way of doing that is actually getting out there and playing on those types wickets.

The basics of batting still apply but it's about adjusting accordingly.

Yeah, we've the same problem over here in Ireland - for the first few weeks there were loads of guys out bowled playing on the back foot after indoor nets. As Mas said, the important thing is to get forward and down as much as possible. If you hang in there for a while playing defensive shots and pushes for ones and twos you'll get your eye in after a while and you can really start timing your shots. The slower wickets really should be in your favour once you get used to it - just wait for the ball and play it as late as possible.

GET ON THE FRONT FOOT !!

Learnt that the hard way at the weekend, felt good in the middle, timing was good, only managed a single, but then stepped back and across and tried to work the ball on the leg-side and was hit plum infront, so i'll learn from there and start to get completely forward.

Front foot is the only way. If you go back you're gonna find it very difficult to get to the ball.

Practice having a mate give you throw downs and just get that foot going forward.

Back