lower back muscles

marco93

lower back muscles

I am a right arm fast bowler and i was wondering what some good exercises are for increasing lower back muscles and just back muscles in general.

Re: lower back muscles

I like the side raise/plank:

Liz Ward;239830 said:
...Talking of which, after a little rest, you need to work on the core muscles that support your spine, one being the quadratus lumborum [the one causing you problems at the moment] an important lumbar spine stabiliser.

I suggest the side raise. It requires significant levels of co-contraction of most of the trunk muscles and is a very useful exercise for anybody requiring advanced core strength in the standing or running posture.

Research using electromyography has shown that during this exercise, the obliques work very hard to raise the trunk laterally whilst the lower back and abs are working significantly to assist.

Other research has suggested that the side raise is effective for recruiting the qadratus lumborum muscle. The latissimus dorsi muscle helps to stabilise the arm whilst the gluteals stabilise the pelvis...

see http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57430/ for full thread

Or

http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t58341/ for some general stretches.

lie face down with your hands together under your chin. lift your upper body and your legs at the same time and hold for 10 seconds, then rest for 30 seconds and repeat about 5 times

Liz Ward;239722 said:
Sit ups (and crunches) are no way the work of the Devil. They are just not 'functional'.

I still use both, mainly crunches, with some clients. It depends on their fitness level and back strength.

They are quite technical though and I have yet to meet a young chap who has presented these correctly and safely.

I have reduced many a young rugby player to watery eyes as I have corrected their technique and they realise that, actually, they cannot do them 50 times as they lie immobilised on their backs after 10!! :laugh:

It may help you to read the whole thread marco93: http://www.bigcricket.com/forum/t57421-3/ It also explains the correct technique ;)

Possibilities are endless!

If we're talking in season, and you've not done any weight training before, i'd be going down Liz's path of side planks. Throw in some reverse hypers, walking lunges and unweighted overhead squats too. Increasing the strength of your hams and glutes will only have a positive effect on your lower back health... you can leave weight training til next off season.

But as i'm also a little more blase than Liz... If you have done weight training before, for lower back health, i'd be suggesting that you do squats and deadlifts. Both excercises, when done correctly, (especially deadlifting) will greatly benefit your entire posterior chain (legs, butt, back [esp. Lower, but you're upper back won't be spared either!). To hit up your upper back/ shoulders a little more, you could rotate pull/chin ups. Barbell rows are also a useful accessory lift here. I'm also a closet 'face-pull' fan -though you won't see them altogether that often.

Back