Mackrel!

Dikon

Mackrel!

Can someone give me the low down on mackrel just looked at the packet and it has 600 calories per 100g but i hear it's healthy to eat and good for you.With the amount of calories it has will you put on weight by eating it?What's the difference in say eating a pizza then eating mackrel?I know pizza has the trans fats in but what about the calories in both?

Re: Mackrel!

This sounds a little wierd. Fish is healthy due to the oils and nutriant in it, but nothing can beat a pot of cottage cheese ;)

Sorry, I must learn to act my age ;)

Yes it is very good for you. David eats it before bed [can't remember how I know that!]

I am a happily married man who eats cottage cheese before bed because of the slower acting protein (casein) :p

As to the fish, it's important not to pick one food and label it as bad or good, escpecially based on the number of calories.

First question. What are your goals? Maintain weight? Improve body composition (less fat, more muscle)? Gain muscle? Gain functional strength? Something else?

Each goal leads to a different answer.

Second question is: what is the rest of your diet like? Things to think about are this: Are you eating low amount of protein and veg? Do you balance your saturated fat intake with fish oil, nuts, olive oil and other 'healthy' sources? Do you eat a minimal amount of processed ready meals? Do you save your starchy carbs like potatoes and bread for after exercise?

My point is this: context is everything. In the right situation mackrel is a great choice. In other circumstances it is less so. Look at the whole picture before deciding.

Harrowdrive said:
I am a happily married man who eats cottage cheese before bed because of the slower acting protein (casein) :p

As to the fish, it's important not to pick one food and label it as bad or good, escpecially based on the number of calories.

First question. What are your goals? Maintain weight? Improve body composition (less fat, more muscle)? Gain muscle? Gain functional strength? Something else?

Each goal leads to a different answer.

Second question is: what is the rest of your diet like? Things to think about are this: Are you eating low amount of protein and veg? Do you balance your saturated fat intake with fish oil, nuts, olive oil and other 'healthy' sources? Do you eat a minimal amount of processed ready meals? Do you save your starchy carbs like potatoes and bread for after exercise?

My point is this: context is everything. In the right situation mackrel is a great choice. In other circumstances it is less so. Look at the whole picture before deciding.
Just trying to be more healthy and gain more muscle mass.Eating lots of protein with chicken breast,eggs and promax shakes also eating lots of vegetables.Don't eat ready meals at all i try to cook all my meals from scratch.

From that quick summary it sounds like you would be happy with a portion or 2 of fresh fish a week. It has lot's of lean protein and healthy fat to balance your diet. The benefits outweight the costs and 100g of any fish is a heck of a lot. A normal serving is around 30-40g usually.

Try other varieties of fresh fish too. Salmon, tuna even kippers...

Remember it's all about keeping things in context. If you ate nothing but 300g of fish a day I would be worried!

Back in the day when I was a surf bum, Mackerel was was one of my favourites. It was cheap and had all the Omega 3 oils and protein. I was on a tight budget and was in cold water 4 - 6 hours a day non stop surfing and walking miles across cliffs and dunes carrying bloody great surf boards. Did me okay and besides all that it tastes so good especially in tomato ketchup or brine (Drained off). It's one of my favouites I love it!

Back