Making Starts But Not Converting

Lachy

Hey Guys,

I haven't had a great season with the bat. I've been given the opportunity to bat high up the order for the first time. Before this season I was a ring-in at cricket clubs around Australia, usually batting at number 9,10 or 11. I feel I haven't made the best of this chance. My style of play is to bat time, which in the competition I play in doesn't suit my style. There is only 32 overs a side in one match and I usually have to go after balls I don't feel are good to hit. I've been given the nickname Chris Rogers due to my discipline, not going after balls and waiting for the one to punish towards the boundary. I have been opening the batting and surviving the first 10 or so overs making about 15 odd then getting out. I've found it very frustrating because I feel I should have scored so many more runs this season.

I have been told I have excellent technique at the crease. I have soft hands and a good enough eye to hit squash balls and pebbles with a stick. I train as much as possible, usually going to the nets to bat for a hour before school and other drills after school. but just haven't been able to make the runs I feel I deserve.

If you have anything that you might think will help please respond.

Thanks,
Lachy

Relax and enjoy it. If you are happy with your technique then that isn't an issue, it will be a mentality issue, stop caring about it and just enjoy batting as it really is that simple the majority of the time!

Sounds like you're getting stuck on strike. Opening the batting is difficult at the best of times and limited overs doesn't help as you've got to get on with it. 32 overs is even worse than the one dayers we play at 35 overs and the only real suggestion I have is to swing harder and find a way to score. You're going to be attacked first up with 2 or 3 slips, so you've got to start breaking the field up. Once that happens and sweepers drop back, you've got more chances for singles (after you've smacked a few 4's) and less catching men is good for you as suddenly you snick one and it flies through the open 2nd slip and bingo, 4 runs.

Back