Mccullum Retires

Wish he was retiring after the T20 World Cup but oh well...

Here's something I wrote earlier about Baz following his retirement:
With the announcement of Brendan McCullum's retirement; I thought I would write a piece about the man. McCullum has been in the Blackcaps ever since I first started loving cricket and supporting the Blackcaps (the one remaining player after Vettori retired). He has been my favourite cricketer for most of that time. To describe my relationship with Baz over the years (gee, that sounds weird...); I've gone from being in awe with his brutal power, skill and athleticism - to thinking 'Oh man...how am I going to justify this wicket???' I have questioned why he is my favourite player - many times as he brought me just as much frustration and pain as he has brought, joy and elation.. To me, that is the beauty of McCullum. He was either the best in the world or the worst and you never knew which McCullum would walk out onto the ground! No other sportsman in NZ or probably, the world...has commanded so much praise and at the same time, so much criticism. His achievements are many; from the NZ record 302 to save the Test and series - to destroying Dale Steyn in the semi-final and leading NZ into the first ever final. But then there have been the lows...some, I don't want to mention but I feel like I should. This is to try capture the essence of what makes up Brendan McCullum. The World Cup Final (still hurts thinking about it!), where McCullum's dancing shoes and brutal swings - resulted in shattered stumps and shattered hearts - here and across the ditch. While that failure could define many a sportsman...I will always remember Baz as the gentlemen who overcame the greatest failure in his career and still came back with a twinkle in his eye and a smile on his face. He constantly reminded me that cricket and sport in general - is just a game. Brendan Barrie McCullum played for the right reasons...

Surprising decision for mine, especially quitting before the World T20. McCullum is still at the top end of his game and probably still has a few more years at international level. I guess the lure of finishing at home, spending more time with family and pursuing other interests proved too good to pass up.

I have no doubt though we'll be seeing plenty of McCullum as a gun T20 player for hire over the coming years.

I wish he scored at least a few runs in the WC final. I reckon Australians love that wicket more that actually winning that game! ******* he'll. Elliott and Taylor put in 100 partnership. Faulkner got mom because he ended that partnership, getting Taylor, Elliott and Anderson, and being the cause of the collapse and snuffing out any chance nz had if a big score. But everyone goes on about McCullum's ******* wicket.

I wish he scored at least a few runs in the WC final. I reckon Australians love that wicket more that actually winning that game! ******* he'll. Elliott and Taylor put in 100 partnership. Faulkner got mom because he ended that partnership, getting Taylor, Elliott and Anderson, and being the cause of the collapse and snuffing out any chance nz had if a big score. But everyone goes on about McCullum's ******* wicket.
He'll always be remembered for that choke hehe.

He had a good career but christ he doesn't deserve to be in the same sentence as those 2 cricketers!

Yes he does... Achieved a staggering number of national and international records and probably the best leader we have ever had.

People from all over the world flock to watch him bat.

*Note words, "superstar" not best cricketer..

Yes he does... Achieved a staggering number of national and international records and probably the best leader we have ever had.

People from all over the world flock to watch him bat.

*Note words, "superstar" not best cricketer..
He probably has collected more fans because of how highly respected he is.
He will make an awesome batting coach somewhere with many people saying wow!

Surprising decision for mine, especially quitting before the World T20. McCullum is still at the top end of his game and probably still has a few more years at international level. I guess the lure of finishing at home, spending more time with family and pursuing other interests proved too good to pass up.

I have no doubt though we'll be seeing plenty of McCullum as a gun T20 player for hire over the coming years.
Think i heard that dan vittori wants him at the brisbane heat.

Back