Medium Pace Bowling

ChrisP

Hi I'm 14 and I am an all rounder, I open the batting and I bowl anywhere fro 3rd to 6th (Depending on the pitch). So I'm a medium pacer and I have a few questions.
I don't have enough different types of balls, so if the batsman gets his eye in he can read me and whack me around, the balls in my arsenal are: Standard Delivery, Slower Ball, Faster Ball and the Off Cutter (I can also bowl a leg cutter, but I can't control it so I don't use it much). I want to learn how to swing the ball and control the leg cutter. So...
1) How do you bowl an inswinger and an outswinger?
2) How do I control my leg cutter?

And then the thing is I never bowl the same, in one match I bowl my 5 overs (we play 25 overs) all in one spel, and sometimes I don't take wickets and I don't give away a lot of runs and other times I take loads of wickets and I give away loads of runs, how can I become a more consistent bowler? How long should my run-up be? Any other tips would help?!

Leg cutters are hard to bowl, i control mine my delaying my right arm a little as i bring it over when the arms parrallel to the floor it gets my body slightly more through the action so my fingers drag down the ball causing a leg cutter BUT its just a ball you've got to dedicate a net to and just work on it its always good over here about first 3 weeks of season people have been "practicing" all types of weird and wonderful balls but in reality they bowled a leg cutter in doors, got 1 right and land roughly were it should and now there pro at it and get out side and it goes for 6 byes over keepers head, same old story isn't it "an amateur practices until he gets it right, a pro practices until he doesn't get it wrong" , what kind of leg cutter do you bowl? Mines only slightly slower then my normal pace and i use it when its not swinging but most people i know use it as a proper slower ball.
Swings got too many variables for anyone in here to give you the miracle cure, as godlike as some of the people are in here they can't control the climate you live in but usually the simple one is to make sure your wrist is fixed and cocked behind the ball to maximise the "rudder" effect of the seam and to keep it upright, to naturally let the ball roll of the fingers to impart back spin (watch some of zaheer khans balls and you'll get what i mean) to keep the seam straight, and make sure you go completely through your action and follow through deep, bowling arm goes outside (presuming right handed) your left leg for outswing, inside left leg for inswing etc etc etc. Could just be you don't have an action that swings a ball well. Who knows, Video maybe?
Find out what role your captain wants you to do, perhaps when your not going for runs and not get wickets your bowlign to the field the captains set you and he's happy, but when you go for wickets they start being able to find gaps in the field playing shots but you get more chances. Talk to your captain.
Run-ups what feels right if your only bowlign medium pace you don't need to be shifting from the sightscreens.
At the format you play and age you don't need a load of good balls, you need to be able bowl a good controlled stock ball, a pace variation, and a yorker. Leg cutters, swing etc etc are nice but if you don't know what type of bowler you are or the role your playing in the side there a bit pointless.

The best bet would be, to hold the ball with the seam and angle the ball towards you or away from you when bowling. I was(am) a leftie, and when I bowled the delivery with my arm leaving my body, then the delivery swung, and/or seamed away. One has to learn to bowl with the new ball, before he can grip the ball, for the inswinger and outswinger. If you can bowl with a new ball, on grass strewn pitch, then you will be amazed with how your deliveries shape.

Yeah, with inswing for right handers to right handers, I hold the seam across my three fingered grip. The seam will go across my index and middle finger, with the seam on the side that has the other two fingers on it

If u r a allrounder........
u have to bowl well and score the runs too.

even giving ur best.....

I think u should try the run-up pf just 13yd
or if u want longer u can try 21 or 23yds
to bowl inswinger u have to just push ur bowling hand down to the same side of ur leg............
and for the outswinger u have to just push ur hand to across ...........

Hi I'm 14 and I am an all rounder, I open the batting and I bowl anywhere fro 3rd to 6th (Depending on the pitch). So I'm a medium pacer and I have a few questions.
I don't have enough different types of balls, so if the batsman gets his eye in he can read me and whack me around, the balls in my arsenal are: Standard Delivery, Slower Ball, Faster Ball and the Off Cutter (I can also bowl a leg cutter, but I can't control it so I don't use it much). I want to learn how to swing the ball and control the leg cutter. So...
1) How do you bowl an inswinger and an outswinger?
2) How do I control my leg cutter?

And then the thing is I never bowl the same, in one match I bowl my 5 overs (we play 25 overs) all in one spel, and sometimes I don't take wickets and I don't give away a lot of runs and other times I take loads of wickets and I give away loads of runs, how can I become a more consistent bowler? How long should my run-up be? Any other tips would help?!

If u r a allrounder........
u have to bowl well and score the runs too.

even giving ur best.....

I think u should try the run-up pf just 13yd
or if u want longer u can try 21 or 23yds
to bowl inswinger u have to just push ur bowling hand down to the same side of ur leg............
and for the outswinger u have to just push ur hand to across ...........

I think the clues are in your question.

You talk about not having enough types of balls, then you say you are not consistent. That gives me the clue that you are trying lots of different things and not working on mastering they key elements:
  1. Get your accuracy of a good length ball on off stump up as high as possible.
  2. Have 1 variation you bowl really well. A yorker is your best bet, but whatever you like.
This may be a bit dull but if I see a 14 year old who puts the ball on the spot for 4-5 overs I would have him in my side in a flash. Sure, really really good batsmen (or lucky sloggers) will take you apart, but the average batsman will struggle to do much with 6 balls an over on the spot.
So lay down a target (cone, hankie, anything) and bowl at it until you can hit it almost every time. Then bowl at it some more because you can never achieve perfection. Plain, simple, dull and VERY effective.

I think the clues are in your question.

You talk about not having enough types of balls, then you say you are not consistent. That gives me the clue that you are trying lots of different things and not working on mastering they key elements:
  1. Get your accuracy of a good length ball on off stump up as high as possible.
  2. Have 1 variation you bowl really well. A yorker is your best bet, but whatever you like.
This may be a bit dull but if I see a 14 year old who puts the ball on the spot for 4-5 overs I would have him in my side in a flash. Sure, really really good batsmen (or lucky sloggers) will take you apart, but the average batsman will struggle to do much with 6 balls an over on the spot.

So lay down a target (cone, hankie, anything) and bowl at it until you can hit it almost every time. Then bowl at it some more because you can never achieve perfection. Plain, simple, dull and VERY effective.

I saw a bloke do this a couple months back. A bloke who looked as though he had nothing about him, short run up, weird when I took a closer look - funny little skip and zig zag run in and slow bowling, thought he was a spin bowler at first as he took 2 wickets in quick succession. But then walked round behind him and watched - he was bowling seam up, but accurate, it was a classic case of 'You miss I hit' bowling it on a length that batsmen were indecisive about, he changed the speed and flight. He bowled 22 overs took 8 wickets for next to nothing. Dreary as hell in some respects, but won the game for the opposition.

Leg cutter is a very handy variation for a medium bowler, takes extra care to control and a fraction slower so usually use it sparingly to catch the batsman by surprise.

im currently second best bowler in league i bowl medium pace swing or bouncers. i have got 12 maidens and 36 wickets (90% of the teams wickets). i get most of the wickets from immense swing. i can bowl a wide leg side and it will clip leg-middle stump. i have it coked down in my wrist, i take a 12-16 step run up just before i let go i pull my wrist up and flick to the side facing right. but if i bowl off side i can only swing in from leg side so i bowl bouncers for clips and maidens on off. i bowl either on middle. heaps of swing requires good pitch length not too full and leg side. bouncers require early-good pitch length and lots of force, also make sure it hits seam. btw im right handed

actualy just to say when i bowl like this it swings more than any leg spin that ive faced, plus the pace its a huge advantage. but its a bowl that requires focus and practice one wrong one on off side ends up 6 or 4.
Good Luck

and it dosnt matter if ur swing it as much as leg spin against a right hander it dosnt matter. if u dont swing it much it will be almost always smashed

im currently second best bowler in league i bowl medium pace swing or bouncers. i have got 12 maidens and 36 wickets (90% of the teams wickets). i get most of the wickets from immense swing. i can bowl a wide leg side and it will clip leg-middle stump. i have it coked down in my wrist, i take a 12-16 step run up just before i let go i pull my wrist up and flick to the side facing right. but if i bowl off side i can only swing in from leg side so i bowl bouncers for clips and maidens on off. i bowl either on middle. heaps of swing requires good pitch length not too full and leg side. bouncers require early-good pitch length and lots of force, also make sure it hits seam. btw im right handed

Are you related to jacques by any chance?

Back