Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

Re: Melbourne Storm stripped of NRL premierships

I know 5 people that live in the Northen Territory, and another that has just moved to Queensland. 2 in Darwin, 1 in Alice Springs, and the other 3 spread across the state. Bar the 2 living in Darwin, none of them know each other. ALL of them play League and ALL of them live in communities that watch and play league. Very rough lifestyle in some of the schools up there and that crosses over to playing league. Also most of them know of people who have moved to northern Queensland to try out for the Cowboys team, or thereabouts. I used to have relatives that lived there as well, the confirm this. I know of one truckie that drives through the state and lives there at times and he supports AFL, but that's it, and it's not as if I don't know anybody from up there.

The areas that do play AFL are the Aboriginal areas, which is where the numbers come from. They use AFL to educate in poverished towns, they use it as a reward for young indigenous Australian's to go to school. It's a good system and is working. No offence intended out of anything said there.

AFL doesn't stand for much in schools up there, it simply isn't bogan or rough enough to play on the whole. Also no offence intended.

Unless I actually meet someone from NT that follows AFL, I'm hardly going to believe it. Like I said, I have family from there and they have their acquantances. Very few of them say that AFL is as big as it's supposed to be.

I'm not just saying this to bash AFL, but because I know these are true things. The Australian Bureau of Statistics says that my home town is one of the most violent in the country and yet I see little evidence of it.

Have you actual proof behind the statistics? Have you been to the NT?

What do you mean 'proof'? It's the Australian Bureau of Statistics, that's far more reliable than your 5 friends from NT

More proof than sitting at home, looking at your computer and saying "that must be true".

Have you ever been to the NT?

If you haven't then it proves my point. You would notice if you have been there that AFL is far from most people's minds.

Do you seriously not understand how a scientific study works?

*A government funded survey conducted by a qualified statistician proof

*Anecdote from a forums poster using a sample size of 5 people not proof

I see what you are saying and understand it.

But I'm choosing to ignore it.

If you have even been to the NT that statistic is simply rubbish. Wonder who they surveyed? The NT AFL board?

Boris;398357 said:
I know 5 people that live in the Northen Territory, and another that has just moved to Queensland. 2 in Darwin, 1 in Alice Springs, and the other 3 spread across the state. Bar the 2 living in Darwin, none of them know each other. ALL of them play League and ALL of them live in communities that watch and play league. Very rough lifestyle in some of the schools up there and that crosses over to playing league. Also most of them know of people who have moved to northern Queensland to try out for the Cowboys team, or thereabouts. I used to have relatives that lived there as well, the confirm this. I know of one truckie that drives through the state and lives there at times and he supports AFL, but that's it, and it's not as if I don't know anybody from up there.

The areas that do play AFL are the Aboriginal areas, which is where the numbers come from. They use AFL to educate in poverished towns, they use it as a reward for young indigenous Australian's to go to school. It's a good system and is working. No offence intended out of anything said there.

AFL doesn't stand for much in schools up there, it simply isn't bogan or rough enough to play on the whole. Also no offence intended.

Unless I actually meet someone from NT that follows AFL, I'm hardly going to believe it. Like I said, I have family from there and they have their acquantances. Very few of them say that AFL is as big as it's supposed to be.

I'm not just saying this to bash AFL, but because I know these are true things. The Australian Bureau of Statistics says that my home town is one of the most violent in the country and yet I see little evidence of it.

Have you actual proof behind the statistics? Have you been to the NT?

It's a scientific survey conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the figures cover the entire population of Australia aged over 15 years, that's millions of people. Your sample space covers a grand total of five people so I'm pretty sure the ABS is going to be fairly accurate compared with a teenager who's evidence are relatives and close friends (all five of them) who have been brought up with rugby league.

These surveys are done by employees of the Australian government who have vast amounts of expertise in conducting and analysing surveys and statistical information. The proof is in the stats and they've even put them into graphs to make the information easier to interpret. It's quite clear from the information gathered and analysed by the ABS that AFL is a sport of choice in NT with five times as many people attending Australian football matches when compared to rugby league. The participation rates are higher for Australian football as well with 50% more people attending those games than rugby league matches.

Boris;398365 said:

If you have even been to the NT that statistic is simply rubbish. Wonder who they surveyed? The NT AFL board?

No, your statistic is rubbish. Your sample is five friends and family who all play league compared to the ABS' extensive research who covers thousands of people who live in the NT.

Click on the link and read it, AFL is the sport favoured by the majority of Northern Territorians, always has been and always will be.

Just on a new note
AFL is played in 5 states totalling 16-18 million people.

NRL is played in PNG, Pacific Islands, France, Britain, etc etc with a total of I am guessing about 10 times as many as AFL somewhere in the region of 150-200 million.

So if you are judging by popularity NRL wins hands down.

They are 2 very different codes but when AFL is boring, it's really boring as LtD said, but it does occasionally have a very exciting game. NRL has much less variation with the exception of state of origin which is a very exciting game, mainly due to socio-economic factors.

I would say that a good AFL game beats a normal NRL game but a good NRL game is better again.

Just on the note of the Northern Territory. How many people from the NT play each code at a national level? Does your hallowed biased government department tell you that? Scientific is a bit rich for a survey.

Aah yes I lived for 16 years in the area of australia with the most robberies and break ins etc. ie non-violent crimes apart from road crimes and never spoke to one person who has encountered or heard of one happening to someone they know. Not that that proves anything, it's just that just because one is bigger than the other doesn't mean it's big.

Ljp86;398368 said:
It's a scientific survey conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, the figures cover the entire population of Australia aged over 15 years, that's millions of people. Your sample space covers a grand total of five people so I'm pretty sure the ABS is going to be fairly accurate compared with a teenager who's evidence are relatives and close friends (all five of them) who have been brought up with rugby league.

These surveys are done by employees of the Australian government who have vast amounts of expertise in conducting and analysing surveys and statistical information. The proof is in the stats and they've even put them into graphs to make the information easier to interpret. It's quite clear from the information gathered and analysed by the ABS that AFL is a sport of choice in NT with five times as many people attending Australian football matches when compared to rugby league. The participation rates are higher for Australian football as well with 50% more people attending those games than rugby league matches.

No, your statistic is rubbish. Your sample is five friends and family who all play league compared to the ABS' extensive research who covers thousands of people who live in the NT.

Click on the link and read it, AFL is the sport favoured by the majority of Northern Territorians, always has been and always will be.

5 people is not the limit, it's the places that they live within as well. As soon as I wrote it I knew you would say that.

They teach league in schools, not AFL.

Instead Auskick runs around grabbing small societies of people and teaching them how to play.

Most serious players move, though, because you can play professional AFL there and be selected elsewhere, but if you want selection in League you have to be in another state.

As brickwaller said - we are fighting over the absolute max of 215 000 people (population of the NT). Do the other millions not count?

After the Ashes the State of Origin is the longest standing, largest and most 'important' (for want of a better term, it's on the tip of my tongue).

brickwaller99;398369 said:
Just on a new note
AFL is played in 5 states totalling 16-18 million people.

NRL is played in PNG, Pacific Islands, France, Britain, etc etc with a total of I am guessing about 10 times as many as AFL somewhere in the region of 150-200 million.

So if you are judging by popularity NRL wins hands down.

We're talking about Australia here not where the sport is played in the rest of the world.

brickwaller99 said:
They are 2 very different codes but when AFL is boring, it's really boring as LtD said, but it does occasionally have a very exciting game. NRL has much less variation with the exception of state of origin which is a very exciting game, mainly due to socio-economic factors.

I would say that a good AFL game beats a normal NRL game but a good NRL game is better again.

Yeah, nah I don't think so.

brickwaller99 said:
Just on the note of the Northern Territory. How many people from the NT play each code at a national level? Does your hallowed biased government department tell you that? Scientific is a bit rich for a survey.

So you're saying the following article I posted is biased? The government spends a lot of money doing these sorts of things for the benefit of all sporting bodies within the country and that includes Australian football and rugby league. To say this sort of research is biased is a very dumb and uninformed comment. These stats are facts, not made up rubbish.

Boris;398372 said:
5 people is not the limit, it's the places that they live within as well. As soon as I wrote it I knew you would say that.

They teach league in schools, not AFL.

Instead Auskick runs around grabbing small societies of people and teaching them how to play.

Most serious players move, though, because you can play professional AFL there and be selected elsewhere, but if you want selection in League you have to be in another state.

As brickwaller said - we are fighting over the absolute max of 215 000 people (population of the NT). Do the other millions not count?

After the Ashes the State of Origin is the longest standing, largest and most 'important' (for want of a better term, it's on the tip of my tongue).

Yawn. My work is done here, you don't seem to be able to acknowledge nor comprehend how far in front AFL is compared to NRL in the NT. The fact that five times as people attend Australian football events compared to NRL in the top end is a damning statistic and one that fully enforces the fact that AFL is the NT's football code of choice.

Boris;398365 said:

That is absolute gold.

One of the best posts I have read in a long time.

:D:D:D

True but you are talking about popularity and while you get on your high horse about a territory of well less than a million people preferring AFL I'm just putting it into perspective. While you focus your narrow mind on Australia the rest of the world points and laughs at your ignorance and narrow mindedness.

Which is better is personal opinion something that is both objective and subjective but in the end it is completely subjective.

Boris;398557 said:
My point exactly.

Come now boris you may think you have had or made a point through all this but you would be deluding yourself. It does not speak well for you that you have criticised at least two codes of football on the basis that you cannot understand them:confused:... I think the problem is not with the game...;)

Australian football and league wish they were as nuanced and complex as rugby. It is the king of eggball sports.

Caesar;398678 said:
Australian football and league wish they were as nuanced and complex as rugby. It is the king of eggball sports.

You meant "egghead" sports, right?

Caesar;398678 said:

I agree... unplayable as it may be.

Thumbs up;398662 said:
Come now boris you may think you have had or made a point through all this but you would be deluding yourself. It does not speak well for you that you have criticised at least two codes of football on the basis that you cannot understand them... I think the problem is not with the game...

Believe me I have as much idea how to play AFL as I do League.

I haven't grown up in a RL family, just watches the occasional game on TV if it's on and the State of Origin. Then again and Lions games are also normally on in the background all the same, with the same amount of frequency.

Grown up in a very heavily cricket based family and can really not understand any of them :D

I have played all four (including soccer) for both club/school at some stage, and I played AFL first out of all of them. I don't actually remember watching any football on TV until I was quite old.

Perhaps it's just the area I have grown up in (a decent sized AFL area surprisingly, Auskick has come in guns blazing, school visiting and brainwashing :D) but out of all of them, RL makes the most 'sense', for want of a better term.

From my little autobiography I would say as a whole I have grown up pretty neutral.

Soccer has too many idiots running around looking for penalties, blatantly cheating and just being generally arrogant. Opinionised that may be, but it's why I don't play/watch it anymore.

Rugby Union is just downright dirty. Growing up solely on cricket with fairness, honesty and 'spirit of the game' in mind, I pride myself on playing by the rules in all games I play. Even if it puts the other team in front, I play like that. Union is the EXACT opposite of that. Like ice hockey, the dirtiest team wins, the ones they get away with the most cheating wins. Being down in those rucks can damn near kill you (and it's not like I'm a big softy either :D) when you are trying to evade the punches, kicks, tags, spits, bites, gropes etc, and still play 'fair'. I gave it up because it seems to be based around the best player being the one who gets caught by the ref the least.

Then come the two I respect the most. Aussie Rules and Rugby League.

League seems to be much more structured. You have so many turns to score, until then the next team takes there turn. If you are good enough you can end their turn earlier, if you stuff up you can effectively 'miss a turn' like your favourite board game. The guys are big, the hits are hard and the tackles are one on one (that seems to be changing though). It puts more emphasis on individuality and better still the ref can actually control the game.

AFL does seem to be a little everywhere. Despite my trying to understand it, there are some quite zany rules, most of them subjective. But then again cricket is the strange rules capital, and I don't have anything against that. Then there is the endurance thing. Every sport I participate in is a power based sport. Short bursts of maximal energy. That's what I'm good at, I don't participate in many long distance/enduro sports due to that being my natural weakness. That also has influenced my sway away from AFL, a completely personal reason. I don't like watching it if I can't play it. The main problem, though, is that sheer 'everywhereness'. There seems to be people everywhere on a ground that seems to small. Then half of them are in a bunch chasing a ball around wildly. Playing it made me feel a little uneasy when I felt like absolutely smashing the hell out of anyone with the ball, only to find I get penalised for it. It seems a cross between soccer and RL, and can't make it's mind up what it should be.

They are just my opinions though, influenced by many things. It is also me being reasonable. Everyone knows the real reason is because it is played by Victorians... and we know how popular they are :D

Boris;398776 said:
Believe me I have as much idea how to play AFL as I do League.

So that would be none at all. They way you describe AFL smacks of a lack of understanding or deliberate misrepresentation of the game. I am further left to question the veracity of your later statements. You, Boris, paint yourself as the quintessential every man, partaking in all things to the point that you are qualified to make broad sweeping judgements on them. I doubt your judgement and I doubt your intentions.

Boris;398776 said:
Perhaps it's just the area I have grown up in (a decent sized AFL area surprisingly, Auskick has come in guns blazing, school visiting and brainwashing :D) but out of all of them, RL makes the most 'sense', for want of a better term.

No, you will need to come up with a better term in your quest for impartiality in declaring your opinion as fact.

Boris;398776 said:
From my little autobiography I would say as a whole I have grown up pretty neutral.
Really... you’re going to trot out that rubbish.

Boris;398776 said:
League seems to be much more structured. You have so many turns to score, until then the next team takes there turn. If you are good enough you can end their turn earlier, if you stuff up you can effectively 'miss a turn' like your favourite board game.
in what way is this a necessary condition of a "good" sport. Never forget the rampant popularity of board games these days. They have been usurped by generally more complex forms of entertainment. This simply seems to be constructed to fit the agenda of the post, it’s like seeing what you believe not the other way around.

Boris;398776 said:
Despite my trying to understand it, there are some quite zany rules, most of them subjective.
Umpiring gets ridiculed as much in all codes of football and generally the ridicule is aimed at umpiring interpretations and enforcement of rules. It is reasonable to conclude that there is a great deal of subjectivity in the umpiring and hence in the rules of all codes. The rules of both codes a constructed with the intention of objectivity but there will always be subjective elements in their enforcement.

I don't think the personal attacks are needed, I declared throughout the whole thing that it was completely my OPINION and how I came to like RL over AFL.

I wasn't saying RL is definitely better than AFL simply because of my life experiences, just how I managed to think like that.

I very much doubt you live in a region that plays all football codes relatively equally. I also doubt you have played all forms. Plus I gather you don't watch any/much league. So really you have just as little clue as I do.

Back on topic, I think the 'pointless' season for the Storm will mean some very crowd pleasing games. No points or championship to worry about, just winning good games and playing well. No pressure. Look forward to watching them.

Back