Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

a for effort

Member Feedback Poll

Message from BigCricket

All,

We are asking all forum members to give us some feedback about the state of our forums.

We would be grateful if you would take a few moments to vote in the poll, but more importantly post your thoughts about how things are going in this forum.

Anything is fair game - the moderators, the quality of the discussion, the amount of traffic, the forum structure, etc.

Voting is useful, but we are most interested in ways you think BigCricket and specifically this forum can be improved -- what we are doing right or wrong, and your thoughts generally about your use of this forum

Re: Member Feedback Poll

fear of retribution form over zealous egos that moderate too heavily will keep me from voicing my true opinion. the server is too slow though, always slower than other sites that i frequent, and i have a fast connection. and i dont think we should be having gay ads either, as a true red blooded hetrosexual male, i am deeply offended at their attempts to persuade my more than happy sexual preferences. would be good if you could get some first class cricketers on in a live blog every now and then to anser questions for some of the younger guys who want to know everything possible to improve their game. other than that, its all voluntary and im sure you do what is possible with what small budget you have.

crktluva;375224 said:
fear of retribution form over zealous egos that moderate too heavily will keep me from voicing my true opinion.
How subtle. You know the rules. No personal attacks and no obscene language. If you want concrete guidelines, 'shit' and anything less than that is ok, f!@# or anything more offensive than that is a no-go. Obviously any racist, homophobic or discriminatory language (such as spas###, ret### etc) is also not on. If you can get your point across without bad language or insults, be as critical as you want.

crktluva;375224 said:
and i dont think we should be having gay ads either, as a true red blooded hetrosexual male, i am deeply offended at their attempts to persuade my more than happy sexual preferences.
Ironically, the ads are automatically chosen based on words that appear on the page frequently. Ergo, if people stop calling each other poofters and homos, then those ads which you find so deeply offensive would disappear.

crktluva;375224 said:
would be good if you could get some first class cricketers on in a live blog every now and then to anser questions for some of the younger guys who want to know everything possible to improve their game. other than that, its all voluntary and im sure you do what is possible with what small budget you have.
The lions share of the revenue generated from ads goes to server upkeep & bandwidth, and there's not really enough traffic at the moment to be raking in the cash. There have been a few initiatives of that sort though. If you read the front page, there are regular blog entries by AllOutCricket (The English equivalent of Inside Cricket magazine) with English county and test players offering advice. Down the line it would be great to see some of the stuff you suggested, and the key to that is forming partnerships with other groups like AllOutCricket who have those resources available.

The biggest thing we are aiming for at the moment is to get the huge numbers of people who post exclusively in the club forums to branch out into the other areas of the site, such as the coaching and international areas, and discussing cricket outside of their own club or association. If we can build up those areas, then things like having q&a's with first class player like you mentioned could be a possibility.

Thanks for the feedback. I think AfE covered most of what I would have replied with but just to add something to the ad debate.

Would you be prepared to pay a small amount to have the site free of charge? Of course there would be other benefits but the main one would be the removal of ads.

The deal would be that a certain percentage would go back into the game at grass roots level (sponsor players/clubs/tournament etc) the rest back into the site (allowing us to do more in terms of getting county/pro players etc).

Would you be prepared to pay a small amount to have the site free of charge?

Hmmmm, not quite sure what ya mean there:confused:

but yes, i would pay a small fee to have only cricket/sports related ads. as for A4E reply, cutting out the profanities is just no fun at all:D

but its good that you are looking to improve the site.

having a small subscription fee for members might be a way to stop the guys that come on, make one or two comments to stir trouble and you never hear from them again. At least the subscription fee would ensure the people that post have a genuine interest.

That's one of the reasons but those without subscription would still be able to post.

It's just an idea that is being mooted at the moment. We want to improve what we do on Big Cricket but that costs. However, part of the plan would see the site look to give back to the local scene in some capacity.

cheer_cheer;375429 said:
Big Cricket Geelong Region T20 Shield !!

yes dazza, i like it, but ya have to be a paid member to play in it. could have throw off, bowl off, hit off and a match, trophies, free fish n chips from nth valley rd fish shop.

crktluva;375467 said:
yes dazza, i like it, but ya have to be a paid member to play in it. could have throw off, bowl off, hit off and a match, trophies, free fish n chips from nth valley rd fish shop.

you love those fish n chips !!

Have to be a killjoy and ask that we stay on topic in this thread. All to easy to get sidetracked and lose the main focus.

I think the site is good. Just at times you log on and the server is busy and have to try later. This happens too often....I don't know who ya host is but this could be improved so you don't have down time. :D

The main reason for that is that we share hosting with BigFooty, among other websites. Whenever there is a spike in activity on BF (Trade week, grand final, draft day etc), then we start to see those busy messages. Hopefully we don't see them too much throughout the summer while there isn't a huge amount happening on the football front.

Server is being upgraded in December, which should resolve this problem. Hosting issues generally arise from other sites in the Big network rather then Big Cricket itself.

The true test will be the soccer world cup next year - that one will really test the new servers and see if the $100,000 is money well spent!

Going to close this now as I think we've seen all the replies we're going to get. If you have anything to add then please pm me.

Thanks for all the feedback, it has been really helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back