MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

Guru14

MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2010/11

As a guy who has played in the MMVCA for the last couple of years and noticed there is number of better cricketers moving on, how does that effect the comp and will the comp move forward or is it destined to struggle to attract better crickers because of wickets, perception of comp ect. Would be nice to get your thoughts as it's a great comp but can it sustain it self given the aging nature of its players??

Re: MMVCA General Cricket Chat 2009/10

Guru14;402633 said:
As a guy who has played in the MMVCA for the last couple of years and noticed there is number of better cricketers moving on, how does that effect the comp and will the comp move forward or is it destined to struggle to attract better crickers because of wickets, perception of comp ect. Would be nice to get your thoughts as it's a great comp but can it sustain it self given the aging nature of its players??

Totally agree on that topic. Especially last season, our home ground ( Morris Reserve ) used to be the best wicket in the comp... last year it was atrocious. I think we used one wicket for 8 consecutive weeks.... I think until the council hand over the wickets to the club to maintain we are going to be served up some sub standard pitches. They don't have the time to put into them

Guru14;402632 said:
If you are heading on it's a same mate. From my point of view you did an absolute sterling job in tough conditions. i hope you get to enjoy your cricket over the next couple of years, one of the nicest blokes on the MMVCA and a shame to lose you.

Thanks Guru. Much appreciated. I genuinely enjoyed the comp and the players I played with and against.

For me its a shame the people who are willing to put the time into making this comp better get let down by the council who dont seem to share the same vision.

I hope they pull their finger out. I hope to come back in a few years (when I am really too old and the body has totally given way!) and put back into the juniors in this comp and I would only do so if the comp / council was serious about where they wanted to take it. Fingers crossed.

Smoke My Bat;402643 said:
Totally agree on that topic. Especially last season, our home ground ( Morris Reserve ) used to be the best wicket in the comp... last year it was atrocious. I think we used one wicket for 8 consecutive weeks.... I think until the council hand over the wickets to the club to maintain we are going to be served up some sub standard pitches. They don't have the time to put into them

Thats a joke. If they are preparing the same wicket - why not move over 2 feet and do the one next to it?!?

*shakes head....

Dont forget Easts new table was played on maybe 2 months earlier than it should have! Plus when the table was good enough to play on - they left the blades on the mower maybe about 5mm higher than it needed to be......

love playing on rebound ace.....not.

lol

...and then you have the unavailability of Pacco's ground when it was just a pure deck! - except when the finals come around.... :rolleyes:

How very true, how do you expect to play decent cricket on ordinary surfaces?:confused:
No wonder the better players in the competition are moving on.....:(

Same deck 4 weeks on end, typical council laziness.

Not much has changed in wicket preparation 4 years, possibly workers more than time 2 put into them is the cause.

Maybe they could train 4 or 5 of the blokes who stand around watching 1 bloke dig a hole might get them prepared earlier?

Common sense would suggest 2 allow clubs their own preparation, but it would be a big cost factor 2 clubs as I cant c the council decreasing ground fees 2 allow this 2 happen.
They need the the revenue 2 pay the wages of the boys & girls who stand around doing nothing.
Preparation of wickets earlier than friday or sat morn might be an option thus allowing clubs 2 put covers down thursday night if needed. Just a thought.

16cans;402720 said:
Same deck 4 weeks on end, typical council laziness.

Not much has changed in wicket preparation 4 years, possibly workers more than time 2 put into them is the cause.

Maybe they could train 4 or 5 of the blokes who stand around watching 1 bloke dig a hole might get them prepared earlier?

Common sense would suggest 2 allow clubs their own preparation, but it would be a big cost factor 2 clubs as I cant c the council decreasing ground fees 2 allow this 2 happen.
They need the the revenue 2 pay the wages of the boys & girls who stand around doing nothing.
Preparation of wickets earlier than friday or sat morn might be an option thus allowing clubs 2 put covers down thursday night if needed. Just a thought.

Can clubs actually ask councils if they can prepare their own wickets? I know not all clubs will have the funds and ability to do this, but the best thing the council ever said to us was, " if you want a turf wicket, you pay for it and maintain it". Now we have a turf wicket to train on, and we have a massive say in how it's prepared.

For the good of our comp, I suggest if clubs can do it, then do it. It will be the best decision your club will ever make.

mmvca;402734 said:
Can clubs actually ask councils if they can prepare their own wickets? I know not all clubs will have the funds and ability to do this, but the best thing the council ever said to us was, " if you want a turf wicket, you pay for it and maintain it". Now we have a turf wicket to train on, and we have a massive say in how it's prepared.

For the good of our comp, I suggest if clubs can do it, then do it. It will be the best decision your club will ever make.

Do you think the clubs will prepare the wickets the same each week?

Have a think about bowling on a good prepared pitch then batting of a dodgy!! Depending on the scoreboard!! Home team will have to much control over wickets.

Some clubs cannot even follow the rules or advice on the wet weather line but there is nothing done about it.

But I do agree the wickets are very poor and that can contribute to good players leaving the comp. The wickets do not allow the better players to show their class.

It is also wrong that some clubs are allowed to prepare their own wickets and others are not!!

Can't believe blokes complain about our wickets. They may look terrible but they play well. As long as they are hard, then they will be right.
Will get dodgy wickets every now and then, but that will happen in all comps.
Basically, just too many whingers out there who have already talked themselves out of it because they believe the wicket is no good.
Yes, it would great if council put more time into it, but as long as I see a wicket that is hard, then I know there's plenty of runs to be had.

bomber27;402743 said:
Can't believe blokes complain about our wickets. They may look terrible but they play well. As long as they are hard, then they will be right.
Will get dodgy wickets every now and then, but that will happen in all comps.
Basically, just too many whingers out there who have already talked themselves out of it because they believe the wicket is no good.
Yes, it would great if council put more time into it, but as long as I see a wicket that is hard, then I know there's plenty of runs to be had.

Get off the piss!:confused:
The wickets are shite!
Poor conditions = Poor cricket!
Allows ordinary players to compete with the better players.
Obviously you had a good season last year?

While I tend to agree with ya mmvca on some points, the wickets are no where near what they were 10 years ago, at least then you knew that the first ball of the match would actually bounce. Too many times this year balls were shooting through ankle high in the first over. While batting on these decks makes you think alot more about shot selection, you can never be too confident in some of the shots that would be there on a consistant bouncing deck. Hell I am no gun bat, but was able to adjust my game to suit wickets we played on... the pitch never got me out... usually a pooor shot on my behalf, :D but there were games where i wasn't sure if the ball would bounce correctly. When you see what Barkly St, and the 2 Sunshine clubs get to play on you have to be jealous, they are consistant playing wickets. But until the council hand over the wicket prep we will have to play on bowler friendly decks.

Smoke My Bat;402773 said:
While I tend to agree with ya mmvca on some points, the wickets are no where near what they were 10 years ago, at least then you knew that the first ball of the match would actually bounce. Too many times this year balls were shooting through ankle high in the first over. While batting on these decks makes you think alot more about shot selection, you can never be too confident in some of the shots that would be there on a consistant bouncing deck. Hell I am no gun bat, but was able to adjust my game to suit wickets we played on... the pitch never got me out... usually a pooor shot on my behalf, :D but there were games where i wasn't sure if the ball would bounce correctly. When you see what Barkly St, and the 2 Sunshine clubs get to play on you have to be jealous, they are consistant playing wickets. But until the council hand over the wicket prep we will have to play on bowler friendly decks.

Is there reasons why councils aren't allowing clubs to control their own wickets?

mmvca;402802 said:
Is there reasons why councils aren't allowing clubs to control their own wickets?

Guess they feel they still need to employ these blokes, not that sacking them is the answer. But I reckon in the next few years the council won't see it as a viable area and we will probably be forced into maintaining them anyway. Naturally some guidelines need to be set down for clubs if it comes to that. I think those clubs who have their own curators put up great wickets each week.. Who knows though this year we may see some improvement in the decks..... consistancy is all I think most of us are after.

Reggie Jackson;402770 said:
Get off the piss!:confused:
The wickets are shite!
Poor conditions = Poor cricket!
Obviously you had a good season last year?

Totally agree, removes shots from those that have them.

Would it be better to have a guy trying to bounce a batsman out and the batsman taking on the short ball. We don't have that contest.

Some days you cannot drive as the wicket is stick and two paced and the bowler just have to put it there and wait. Doesn't make for good cricket.

old hack;402818 said:

Would it be better to have a guy trying to bounce a batsman out and the batsman taking on the short ball. We don't have that contest.

Some days you cannot drive as the wicket is stick and two paced and the bowler just have to put it there and wait. Doesn't make for good cricket.

what drugs you on mate the wickets are superb hehehehe;)

mmvca;402802 said:

Might come down 2 which council ur under. Has the executive ever put the question 2 the hume council & if so what was the feedback?

I would be very surprised if collectively all turf sides in comp had an average innings over 160/170 last season & some very good scores were seen.
Would this be due 2 wicket preperation, batting talent on the wane or exceptional bowling which i doubt?
Personally, I think lack of concentration & bad shot selection more so than the others.

I still beleive if wickets were prepared by Thursday night (weather permitting & workers) & clubs were told 2 cover them, majority of problem would be solved. How often do either club roll the wicket prior 2 play?

Dont be surprised if this comp is an all hard wicket comp in the not 2 distant future. No maintenance & concentration put in2 the outfield surface.

old hack;402818 said:

Wickets arent the best and could be better, we agree on that.

But mostly the good batsmen get runs and guys who get wickets are the better bowlers.

Yes the wickets can restrict stroke play, we would love a hard fast track, but we have to remember what comp we play in.

Wickets being damp has little to do with actual preparation, more so on covers being down too late and/or rain at the wrong times.

All in all, aint thay bad. Better temas usually win and if you think about it how many times has the bowler/track got someone out rather than a bad shot or a wicket from a build up of pressure. Very rare i would have thought, but then again i always get out cheap regardless of conditions

How many clubs have started pre-season already?

Anyone that keen to shed the winter coats we are carrying? (or is that just me...?)

:D

putabellintheball;402979 said:
How many clubs have started pre-season already?

Anyone that keen to shed the winter coats we are carrying? (or is that just me...?)

:D

Always thought 1st Thursday in October was a good time 2 start pre season.

Back