Money Shield 18/19

Yeah you heard wrong mate.

He was bowled so nothing to do with the LBW.

Just a frustrated captain after one of the worst decisions I have seen in cricket was made.
Really nothing in it, almost like he was reported because the decision was so embarrassingly bad.

Worst decision you have seen...oh you mean Cogan's LBW? That was a shocker. At least he has the integrity to cop it without gobbing off to the umpire. Probably something you blokes could take out of that.

Worst decision you have seen...oh you mean Cogan's LBW? That was a shocker. At least he has the integrity to cop it without gobbing off to the umpire. Probably something you blokes could take out of that.

Made up for Cogans LBW by not giving your import out a few overs later. 3 bad decisions before drinks (all the same umpire).
The DVCA will deal with Trent i'm sure.
However in all honesty what was said could hardly be classified as dissent there was a frustration boil over, but nothing personal was said directly to the umpire other than a disagreement to the decision. A warning would have been sufficient.

Made up for Cogans LBW by not giving your import out a few overs later. 3 bad decisions before drinks (all the same umpire).
The DVCA will deal with Trent i'm sure.
However in all honesty what was said could hardly be classified as dissent there was a frustration boil over, but nothing personal was said directly to the umpire other than a disagreement to the decision. A warning would have been sufficient.

I think he’s had enough warnings in my opinion..
Happy to see that kind of behaviour stomped out of our game.

Brad Gaff stick to eating party pies and sausage rolls while playing with your model aeroplanes. For a bloke who has achieved little to nothing in his whole playing career you should do something yourself before attempting to be little others.

If Research had applied themselves as well as they did to this T20 comp they still might be in Money Shield.
Not that I think T20 has anything to do with Saturday cricket. But it helps when a couple of young blokes start gaining confidence ie, 18yo Ben Davies 48 and 18yo Jack Fitzpatrick 4 wkts and start performing as their talent says they can. And then of course there’s Shannon Malone helping them out;) By the way, how’d Connor go?

Brad Gaff stick to eating party pies and sausage rolls while playing with your model aeroplanes. For a bloke who has achieved little to nothing in his whole playing career you should do something yourself before attempting to be little others.

LOL, triggered one of the slime did I? You blokes just stick to choking in 1s grand finals. I did have a look at your batting line up though and briefly considered coming down for a 1's spot, should be a walk in start considering the line up. The only problem is I'd have to commit ritual suicide in shame for having played for Greensborough, the filth would never come off.

Last edited:
Not that I think T20 has anything to do with Saturday cricket. But it helps when a couple of young blokes start gaining confidence ie, 18yo Ben Davies 48 and 18yo Jack Fitzpatrick 4 wkts and start performing as their talent says they can. And then of course there’s Shannon Malone helping them out;) By the way, how’d Connor go?

T20 is a complete joke. 3 forfeits yesterday. What does it say when an ENTIRE club can't get 11 blokes on the field? Then there's plenty of other of clubs that have to make up their side with kids and 2nds players.

I know plenty of people at clubs that say "We'll take it seriously next season"; and they never do. Then it becomes a chore to have to play the remaining games.

I give the T20 comp 2 more years, then it will fold, just like the lightning premiership. I'm surprised its gone on this long.

T20 is a complete joke. 3 forfeits yesterday. What does it say when an ENTIRE club can't get 11 blokes on the field? Then there's plenty of other of clubs that have to make up their side with kids and 2nds players.

I know plenty of people at clubs that say "We'll take it seriously next season"; and they never do. Then it becomes a chore to have to play the remaining games.

I give the T20 comp 2 more years, then it will fold, just like the lightning premiership. I'm surprised its gone on this long.

It’s a rubbish comp because if you lose the first round, you’re as good as cooked. So clubs are now not bothering playing the next two rounds knowing that they can’t go any further.

It needs to be totally revamped to give incentive to want to play. Maybe making it a total knock out format, meaning all clubs still in have something to play for and will play full strength sides.

I don't think it's a case of not being able to field a team, it's a case of not wanting to field a team. Last years format was better where you still had a good chance to make it if you lost a game due to the 3 teams in a division, 4 was just too many and yeh, teams who lost one or two just gave up the last game.

I don't mind the T20 comp, we had a pretty good game against Preston YCW yesterday, winning by 1 run, although I think the knock out from the start comp as Tongs suggests would be the way to go.

Also, would be nice if the DVCA appointed umpire could turn up. Has been absent the last two games for us.

Blokes and clubs who whinge and moan about the T20 comp would the first to say 'why don't the comp try something different'. Fair dinkum, I might be Old, but at least I'm prepared to move with the times.

Blokes and clubs who whinge and moan about the T20 comp would the first to say 'why don't the comp try something different'. Fair dinkum, I might be Old, but at least I'm prepared to move with the times.

The idea and thought is great, the execution is terrible. The format is rubbish, for the above mentioned reasoning. Round 3 and to an extent Roumd 2 are total junk time.

Playing on a Tuesday night at 5:30 makes it very difficult for so many people to play also - not everyone can leave their jobs early, or get there in time to start at 5:30. I’ve heard many clubs are struggling just to find 11 players who are able to get there and play. Let alone worrying about the standard of players.

I don’t know what the answer/best format is, maybe as mentioned a total knockout comp, played on a Sunday? I know that’ll cause other issues, but would make more guys available.

I don't think we need to try something different. Saturday arvo cricket works just fine. I think we may have too many clubs in close proximity to each other and some may struggle from time to time, but other than that, I don't see whats wrong.

T20 is purely a spectator sport. If the professionals weren't getting paid, they wouldn't play. Now we have T10 cricket. Seriously? 11 blokes in a team, a few get a hit and 5 blokes get to bowl 2/4 overs. Why bother.

For cricket to succeed, all players need to participate. Get a bat and a bowl. T20 doesn't offer that and T10 even less so.

The idea and thought is great, the execution is terrible. The format is rubbish, for the above mentioned reasoning. Round 3 and to an extent Roumd 2 are total junk time.

Playing on a Tuesday night at 5:30 makes it very difficult for so many people to play also - not everyone can leave their jobs early, or get there in time to start at 5:30. I’ve heard many clubs are struggling just to find 11 players who are able to get there and play. Let alone worrying about the standard of players.

I don’t know what the answer/best format is, maybe as mentioned a total knockout comp, played on a Sunday? I know that’ll cause other issues, but would make more guys available.

- I don't mind the idea of Sunday fixtures. Round robin kind of feel to it, clubs maybe play 2 fixtures on the first day, then the winners of the groups progress to the next Sunday, perhaps a month later, so that it's not a complete wipe out of weekends, play another 2 games to sort out the eventual granny match up.

- Granny to be played after Christmas on a Sunday when the big bash is front and centre on the screens so the T20 game is a bit more appealing so hopefully juniors come down and it's a big day...

- Utilise the areas with multiple grounds and then put the clubs that are in that area at those grounds for at least the first round of matches..
Lalor, Diamond Creek, Banyule, Mernda, South Morang, Monty/Lower, Old Paradians, Riverside all have grounds which could accommodate simultaneous games of cricket.

- There is obviously something missing from my plan, that is NMCA involvement, with only 2 clubs making it this year I think we cut ties and make it a strong DVCA event. Im sure the boys that do the great job of broadcasting the DVCA cricket show could even run some sort of broadcast which is played around the grounds at some stage maybe during the finals.

- For mine, there is a major opportunity to cash in on the success of T20 and have our own unique comp. Obviously a sh*t load of work that would need to be done, but in the current situation the way local cricket is it at this stage, it's the reality of the situation and something like this could be a good spark that the DVCA needs. I don't think there is much appeal in heading to to Preston YCW on a Tuesday arvo anymore (no disrespect to that club just the one that came to mind).

If participation and numbers is a concern, what about lowering the players per side to say, 9? It would cut out those couple of blokes that get thrown in to make up the side, opens up more gaps in the field for more runs too.

I assume you're a batsman.

I do a reasonable impersonation of one. That has nothing to do with the idea though, plus I'm not likely to be out on the field in the T20 games. However lowing numbers has worked for Rugby 7s, there's Fast5 netball too. Why not try it for cricket?

I think a lot of you folk are missing some important things re T20. Granted it’s not perfect, but consider this. If you promote it properly within your club, get the necessary buy in from players and use it as a way to generate income, it is extremely worthwhile. When we made the final against Bundoora United a few years back, over the course of the tournament we generated 15k including prize money by promoting it as an event for the community to come along and enjoy. Now call me old fashioned, but in a time when dollars are hard to come by, clubs and people who continue to write it off and not make the effort are seriously “cutting off your nose, to spite your face”!

Last edited:
Now call me old fashioned, but in a time when dollars are hard to come by, clubs and people who continue to write it off and not make the effort are seriously “cutting off their nose, despite their face”!
Nice little update of a well-known expression Stu, it's quite made my night thinking about the possibilities for what your version might mean.

Back