Money Shield 2013/2014

Because Ali Anwar is bored of the ball topic:

Eltham v Bundoora United
In what appeared unlikely a few weeks ago, these two sit 3rd vs 4th and the winner could see themselves hosting a semi-final with all top 4 spots up for grabs. Bundoora are in blistering form with the stick, while Eltham have taken 2 massive scalps two games in a row. With an injury cloud over Curtin, and the bigger ground, I’ll take Eltham in what could be game of the year.

Hurstbridge v Greensborough
Another of the finals defining games. Greensborough seem to have got the jitters a bit at the moment (Is Meekins the real key to their side?), losing the last two games while their opposition have won their last two. Hurstbridge away is always a tough game, so I don’t see this as a walk in the park for Greensborough, but will the pressure of a home final get to them? I’ll take Hurstbridge in a major upset.

Lower Plenty v Heidleberg
This game is an interesting one. Will Heidelberg roll over, after their disappointing end to their season over, while Lower want to keep teaching the kids to win. Both sides are batting strong, so it could be a fair run fest. Old man Kelsey is playing like he is 25 again, and is really teaching not only the kids but the whole comp on how to bat. I see him with another big innings to finish the year. Take your pick of the Heidleberg batsmen to also get amongst them. Heidleberg to have too many bats and to get the chocolates.

Camrea v Lalor Stars
Lalor will be wanting to fine tune their side before finals, but also need to be very careful not to drop the game. Lose, and the could drop to 3rd and lose the home final. In saying that, I can’t see it happening. Volpe back massively strengthens an already strong unit, and Jamie Scott in the best form of his career (Probably due to him getting rid of the rats tail) makes them very hard to beat. I see Lalor winning this one reasonably easy.

Montmorency v South Morang & Banyule v North Eltham
Relegation battle between the bottom four sides (NEW are safe). Its very very simple equation. The two sides that wants it more, and really grit their teeth will get the win.

Monty are in the box seat with a game percentage up on the other two, and I see this as the cornerstone to them staying up, but they will want to make sure of it. South Morang on the other hand have been in pretty good nick the last few games, and will again finish strongly.With Monty's batting to appear stronger and being at home, i'll take them. Just.

NEW v Banyule could really go either way. Banyule at home, but their bowling is obviously their weakness, but they are facing the side that has lost the most wickets. Banyule had the opportunity last week with the bat to almost cement their safety and lost 5/17 to lose by 6 runs. NEW on the other hand knocked off Monty the week before. Based on that, I see NEW getting the win, and thus causing Banyule to go down. (No offence to Banyule, but I have to pick one side and its never nice for any side to go down)

Because Ali Anwar is bored of the ball topic:

Eltham v Bundoora United
In what appeared unlikely a few weeks ago, these two sit 3rd vs 4th and the winner could see themselves hosting a semi-final with all top 4 spots up for grabs. Bundoora are in blistering form with the stick, while Eltham have taken 2 massive scalps two games in a row. With an injury cloud over Curtin, and the bigger ground, I’ll take Eltham in what could be game of the year.

Hurstbridge v Greensborough
Another of the finals defining games. Greensborough seem to have got the jitters a bit at the moment (Is Meekins the real key to their side?), losing the last two games while their opposition have won their last two. Hurstbridge away is always a tough game, so I don’t see this as a walk in the park for Greensborough, but will the pressure of a home final get to them? I’ll take Hurstbridge in a major upset.

Lower Plenty v Heidleberg
This game is an interesting one. Will Heidelberg roll over, after their disappointing end to their season over, while Lower want to keep teaching the kids to win. Both sides are batting strong, so it could be a fair run fest. Old man Kelsey is playing like he is 25 again, and is really teaching not only the kids but the whole comp on how to bat. I see him with another big innings to finish the year. Take your pick of the Heidleberg batsmen to also get amongst them. Heidleberg to have too many bats and to get the chocolates.

Camrea v Lalor Stars
Lalor will be wanting to fine tune their side before finals, but also need to be very careful not to drop the game. Lose, and the could drop to 3rd and lose the home final. In saying that, I can’t see it happening. Volpe back massively strengthens an already strong unit, and Jamie Scott in the best form of his career (Probably due to him getting rid of the rats tail) makes them very hard to beat. I see Lalor winning this one reasonably easy.

Montmorency v South Morang & Banyule v North Eltham
Relegation battle between the bottom four sides (NEW are safe). Its very very simple equation. The two sides that wants it more, and really grit their teeth will get the win.

Monty are in the box seat with a game percentage up on the other two, and I see this as the cornerstone to them staying up, but they will want to make sure of it. South Morang on the other hand have been in pretty good nick the last few games, and will again finish strongly.With Monty's batting to appear stronger and being at home, i'll take them. Just.

NEW v Banyule could really go either way. Banyule at home, but their bowling is obviously their weakness, but they are facing the side that has lost the most wickets. Banyule had the opportunity last week with the bat to almost cement their safety and lost 5/17 to lose by 6 runs. NEW on the other hand knocked off Monty the week before. Based on that, I see NEW getting the win, and thus causing Banyule to go down. (No offence to Banyule, but I have to pick one side and its never nice for any side to go down)

Nice review Tongs, unfortunately, you got the first one wrong, but hindsight is always easier.

Huge bowling effort from our lads, has put us in a great position.

I can see Banyule getting the job done, been unlucky a couple of times this year, and now looks like Morang will be headed down. Disappointing for such a big club with a great set up off field, interesting to see how they respond......or can they perform a miracle with the bat this week.
Banyule % will be boosted if they get the runs 1 or 2 down, (or bat on) and if Morang can chase 300 and only lose a few wickets, could the unthinkable happen and Mont go down.....(not going to happen)

Are the finals sorted, or can Ranatunga get another huge chase happening.

Nice review Tongs, unfortunately, you got the first one wrong, but hindsight is always easier.

Huge bowling effort from our lads, has put us in a great position.

I can see Banyule getting the job done, been unlucky a couple of times this year, and now looks like Morang will be headed down. Disappointing for such a big club with a great set up off field, interesting to see how they respond......or can they perform a miracle with the bat this week.
Banyule % will be boosted if they get the runs 1 or 2 down, (or bat on) and if Morang can chase 300 and only lose a few wickets, could the unthinkable happen and Mont go down.....(not going to happen)

Are the finals sorted, or can Ranatunga get another huge chase happening.

South Morang might yet be saved. NEW a big chance to go down in Barclay. Mernda and Plenty are good chances to defend their totals. Dunno how the DVCA would do it, I personally think it should be a double relegation but who knows.

South Morang might yet be saved. NEW a big chance to go down in Barclay. Mernda and Plenty are good chances to defend their totals. Dunno how the DVCA would do it, I personally think it should be a double relegation but who knows.
I think they were meeting last week to discuss that scenario.

Doesn't the rule book say 1 up & 1 down, so who ever finishes last may have a case to fight for but then again the DVCA can refer to the rule that they can do what they want so who knows.

I think if you finish bottom then realistically you should be relegated. If, as in this case NEW get relegated then this should be treated separately. Bringing up 2 sides. Especially since these will be taken up now (in likelihood) by 1st xi sides.

I think if you finish bottom then realistically you should be relegated. If, as in this case NEW get relegated then this should be treated separately. Bringing up 2 sides. Especially since these will be taken up now (in likelihood) by 1st xi sides.
2010/11 Hurstbridge finished bottom, Yarrambat merged with PV and didn't field a MS side.
Hurstbridge still relegated and Riverside and Whittlesea were promoted, fair to say whoever finishes bottom will be relegated no matter what happens.

2010/11 Hurstbridge finished bottom, Yarrambat merged with PV and didn't field a MS side.
Hurstbridge still relegated and Riverside and Whittlesea were promoted, fair to say whoever finishes bottom will be relegated no matter what happens.

Cant see it happening, but maybe DVCA should maybe make a statement and advise all clubs on what will happen for different scenarios

I hate the two up - two down suggestion, as I think that you need to earn your spot in a higher grade, not given a spot. In saying that, if what is suggested occurs, and NEW do finish last in Barclay Shield, they have to be relegated to Money Shield and then their Money shield team also relegated, to B grade. BUT..... Whoever finishes last in Money shield shouldn't get a reprieve, and should also go down and therefore giving the the two teams in the B grade Grand Final the opportnity to go up.

All the talk is about what is happening at the bottom - so I will throw in the possibility of Diamond Creek's seconds making it really interesting and winning the flag and having two 2nd XI's in Money next year.
Upset the apple cart, and would make it 5 1st XI's in B Grade, a huge kick in the guts for Thommo, Mill Park and Whittlesea, with Panton Hill already been knocked out of finals.

What about at the top end.
Looks like being a Stars / Eltham and Boro / BU semi finals.

Prediction time.

Eltham to bounce back from 102 all out to knock off the top of the table Stars??

A couple of points for you Wandering.....

1) You are declaring the finals games now? You haven't won this week yet. Nor have the other 2 sides.
2) We beat Lalor two games ago.
3) Lets be honest, you're more bringing it up because he said that your beloved boys will be knocked off by Greensborough in the semi.

A couple of points for you Wandering.....

1) You are declaring the finals games now? You haven't won this week yet. Nor have the other 2 sides.
2) We beat Lalor two games ago.
3) Lets be honest, you're more bringing it up because he said that your beloved boys will be knocked off by Greensborough in the semi.

Not taking anything for granted Tongs, game is not won yet, we know that a job is still to be done, and we would also love a home final, IF we get the runs, and IF Hurstbridge get the job done this week, but they are big IF's, but anything could happen.

Looks like being a great couple of weekends of cricket.

Not taking anything for granted Tongs, game is not won yet, we know that a job is still to be done, and we would also love a home final, IF we get the runs, and IF Hurstbridge get the job done this week, but they are big IF's, but anything could happen.

Looks like being a great couple of weekends of cricket.
Send a couple of Barrels up to Ben Frilay WU, might make it interesting.

What a weekend of cricket coming up. Top 4 teams separated by just 10 points, no clear standout during the year, great games played between the top 4 during the home and away round.

I'll take Stars to make too many runs against Eltham, has been their strength all year.

Any other tips??

Back