Moving Up In The Order + Help With Problems

Datrandom

Hello everyone.

I am an opening bowler for my school team, and I usually bat last, or tail end, but I know, and have also been told by other coaches I have the potential of a top order batsman, but everyone assumes because I'm a bowler, that I can't bat, I've proven in the nets that my form as a batsman is good, and even my school coach says my technique is good.

But the problem is I can't prove my form in the tail end, I usually have the bat in the last couple overs, and have to try and score runs quickly, but that's not my style of batting, I have to take my time, get my eye in, I have a great front defensive, and my batting coach says I have one of the best driving techniques he's seen in a kid, and he's a former australian player, I can play back foot pulls, but I'm not that confident with playing them, I also have a lot of trouble facing the seaming, and the swinging ball.

So can any of you give me advice to get up the order, and also help me with some of these problems.
Thanks.

Hello everyone.

I am an opening bowler for my school team, and I usually bat last, or tail end, but I know, and have also been told by other coaches I have the potential of a top order batsman, but everyone assumes because I'm a bowler, that I can't bat, I've proven in the nets that my form as a batsman is good, and even my school coach says my technique is good.

But the problem is I can't prove my form in the tail end, I usually have the bat in the last couple overs, and have to try and score runs quickly, but that's not my style of batting, I have to take my time, get my eye in, I have a great front defensive, and my batting coach says I have one of the best driving techniques he's seen in a kid, and he's a former australian player, I can play back foot pulls, but I'm not that confident with playing them, I also have a lot of trouble facing the seaming, and the swinging ball.

So can any of you give me advice to get up the order, and also help me with some of these problems.
Thanks.

As a bowler who focuses 95% of his attention on bowling, there's an inevtiability that I bat like you at No10 or 11. But having done so now for a few years I'm eyeing up the No.9 slot and thinking that I might like to give that a go and see if there's any chance that I could beat my batting PB? Normally there's a reason for a bloke to bat at 10/11 and you've said yourself that you struggle against seam bowling, so that may be the reason? Surely at that stage in the game they'd be bringing on the seamers to clear up the tail-enders and that's where you need to develop your defensive approach so that you can deal with them and secure yourself a good series of 'Not outs' as they're generally seen as a positive? In the last season I moved up to a regular 10 slot, simply off the back of helping to see an opener through to his first century, he was on 88 when I made my way out into the middle and had been there or thereabouts for some time having seen the very quick demise of numbers 10, 9 and 8 who were all dismissed very cheaply. I didn't think I had a dogs hope of getting him through, but working with him and defending solidly and putting the odd poor ball away for the odd one or two I got the bloke to his century. Thereafter I was promoted to 10 and produced a whole sequence of not outs being let down by the number 11's who generally were dismissed unnecessarily, so I reckon I may be given the slot at 9 this season? But in may clubs it's down to merit, so you're going to have to learn to play those seamers and swing bowlers and produce the 'Not outs' till your noticed for doing so.

Back