my leg spin bowling - slow motion video analysis

Re: my leg spin bowling - slow motion video analysis

shrek;398627 said:
Sorry to rake up an old post, but I've noticed something in the ultra slow-mo video

In both leg break and over spun leg break, the ball leaves the hand after it rotates over the ring finger, but doesn't even come into contact with little finger.
I've always thought that all the fingers should help spin the ball, so ball should come out from behind the little finger.

I felt that when it comes out of the ring finger, ball tends to slide a lot more than spin. Perhaps I'm mistaken, but would love to hear your thoughts

my little finger is never really in contact with anything during the action, if anything i try to keep it out of the way. ive never really paid attention to what its doing. my ring finger is the one that does the most work and it seems to work for me, it definitely imparts spin rather than letting the ball slide out. the only time the ball ever slides out is if my hands get really dried out with a dry ball and i cant grip it.

Jim2109;398635 said:
my little finger is never really in contact with anything during the action, if anything i try to keep it out of the way. ive never really paid attention to what its doing. my ring finger is the one that does the most work and it seems to work for me, it definitely imparts spin rather than letting the ball slide out. the only time the ball ever slides out is if my hands get really dried out with a dry ball and i cant grip it.

You get a nice amount of tweak. Enough revs to play a few tricks in the breeze and deviate off the deck. Probably go best on a hard track so hope they cover the wicket nice and tight for the match if that threatened rain happens.

Good luck anyway mate. Sounds like yer gonna stick it up em if you get a chance.

Jim2109;398635 said:

That explains a lot! I've got decent sized hand and fingers yet many times I feel the ball sliding out of my hand. I take great pains about wrist, grip and hip position, still end up with inconsistent spin. A couple of times, I've got a wet ball on my hands, I got loads of spin.

Any ideas on keeping the hand wet? Just sweat? ( I know quite a few internationals use spit, but it just feels a little yucky)

my hands get pretty dried out through work, so ive started using a hand moisturiser several times a day to try and make them softer. prior to a match il rub a load of it into my hands and fingers, but once youre on the pitch you cant do anything but add sweat or saliva!

i find sweat actually works better, you want your hands to be clammy (e.g. sweaty palms, rather than wiping sweat off your forehead), but not actually wet. if you arent working hard enough to get up a sweat then spit is the next best thing. as gross as it may be, spitting on your hands and then rubbing it in works better than not at all. if the ball is beaten up and dry then adding saliva/sweat to the ball works even better. make sure you only add it to the "shiny" side though if you dont want to upset the quicks. it also weights the ball to one side as well which helps all types of bowler out.

the only problem i find is that over a prolonged period of time (say a net session) the spitting/sweating on your hands method actually results in the hands drying out more than if you just left them alone. in a match situation sweat and saliva are helpful, but in nets i just leave my hands alone.

Here's the first batch of videos of my new bowling action for this season. If you have a look at the previous videos on youtube you'll see the old action with the 'Skip'. Then if you look at the videos shot last Sept and October you'll see the intermediate stage where I worked with the stand start and developed a 'Walk in' approach which was a big improvement over the 'Skip' approach. But over the 4 years that I've bowled Wrist Spin I've often been told that I'm too slow and that in order to get the speed up I need a bound and for my bowling to be more energetic and faster. Well, this is the starting point..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gqn3VxJ2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hKvq1cKtD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1S_nsR7Hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n59nGECwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldF3nMUKO8 This final one features the conventional Back-Spinning Flipper and it's interesting to compare them to the Leg Breaks which are featured in the other clips. (1) They appear to be faster (2) Look how little they bounce, instead the skid through nice and low. Looks promising I reckon this new bound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUk43mSVvdg This is the last one - a closer look at the action from the front. I'm now wondering if I get side on enough?

Here's the first batch of videos of my new bowling action for this season. If you have a look at the previous videos on youtube you'll see the old action with the 'Skip'. Then if you look at the videos shot last Sept and October you'll see the intermediate stage where I worked with the stand start and developed a 'Walk in' approach which was a big improvement over the 'Skip' approach. But over the 4 years that I've bowled Wrist Spin I've often been told that I'm too slow and that in order to get the speed up I need a bound and for my bowling to be more energetic and faster. Well, this is the starting point..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9gqn3VxJ2c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hKvq1cKtD0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1S_nsR7Hw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n59nGECwg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aldF3nMUKO8 This final one features the conventional Back-Spinning Flipper and it's interesting to compare them to the Leg Breaks which are featured in the other clips. (1) They appear to be faster (2) Look how little they bounce, instead the skid through nice and low. Looks promising I reckon this new bound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUk43mSVvdg This is the last one - a closer look at the action from the front. I'm now wondering if I get side on enough?

Some nice work there Dave. I think that stand start drill has given you a lot more power through the crease. When you line up those lines on the ground with your action it all looks aligned too. The first video showed you bowling a good length too with a few dipping at the end. Those flippers look very good and Im amazed with your control. I don't think I'll be bowling the flipper anytime soon.

If you think gobbing on your hands is icky, perhaps I shouldn't point out that in a match the ball you're trying to grip will have been shined up using virtually everyone else's saliva...

My current bowling action - its a bit slow, but its accurate and gets the ball to turn a bit. How's it looking? Liz had said to me that when I'm rotating I should go up on to the toes and twist, I think I'm doing this okay now.
Standard%2Bbowling%2Baction%2BApril%2B22nd.jpg

I reckon if the weather holds out tomorrow which I think it's expected to, I'll practice with the bound as much as I can and try and video it from a range of angles. I do a fairly close up series from front on. More like this from behind, but with the bound and from the side as well and some really high ones from the front. I'm aware from a series I shot recently, that when I step forward onto the pivot foot out of the bound I step right across myself and the right foot kicks up and round, but comes across, so I'll try and rectify that.

only thing I'll say is that your hips and shoulders are still quite seperated. your upper body is rushing through whilst your lower body plays catch up.

if you've shot that sequence from the stand start drill then maybe momentum from a run up will rectify that a bit. you'll probably find that you need to drive from the hip and legs more though to properly sort it. your leading arm will play a huge role too. your leading arm starts strong but as it comes down it looks like it becomes more gentle, whereas it should feel as though your front hand is grabbing hold of a rope and pulling your whole body forwards, thats how much of a role it needs to have. in conjunction with a strong back leg drive (you cant actually force yourself to do this, it just comes naturally) which will come with a hip drive (this you can force, you have to think as though you want your hips to be the most forward part of your body, but without actually sliding them forwards) and that will get your whole body through the action in a more synchronised manner, and you'll get your weight up over your pivot foot earlier.

you're getting up on to your toes, but its as if your trailing leg has been flung backwards to achieve it. you'll find when its working that you feel as if your right knee gets ahead of the rest of your body at the point of release. I found it quite strange initially but once it comes together you'll notice huge immediate improvements in the whole action.

only thing I'll say is that your hips and shoulders are still quite seperated. your upper body is rushing through whilst your lower body plays catch up.

if you've shot that sequence from the stand start drill then maybe momentum from a run up will rectify that a bit. you'll probably find that you need to drive from the hip and legs more though to properly sort it. your leading arm will play a huge role too. your leading arm starts strong but as it comes down it looks like it becomes more gentle, whereas it should feel as though your front hand is grabbing hold of a rope and pulling your whole body forwards, thats how much of a role it needs to have. in conjunction with a strong back leg drive (you cant actually force yourself to do this, it just comes naturally) which will come with a hip drive (this you can force, you have to think as though you want your hips to be the most forward part of your body, but without actually sliding them forwards) and that will get your whole body through the action in a more synchronised manner, and you'll get your weight up over your pivot foot earlier.

you're getting up on to your toes, but its as if your trailing leg has been flung backwards to achieve it. you'll find when its working that you feel as if your right knee gets ahead of the rest of your body at the point of release. I found it quite strange initially but once it comes together you'll notice huge immediate improvements in the whole action.

Yeah, it's only off of a couple of steps. If I get time today as I said I'll try and shoot some video using the much longer run and bound. Yeah the point about the leading arm is valid and you're right, I'll put more oomph into that as well then. I'll leave the hips thing for the moment other-wise my brain will overheat, but I'll look at that another day, cheers.

My current bowling action - its a bit slow, but its accurate and gets the ball to turn a bit. How's it looking? Liz had said to me that when I'm rotating I should go up on to the toes and twist, I think I'm doing this okay now.
Standard%2Bbowling%2Baction%2BApril%2B22nd.jpg

I reckon if the weather holds out tomorrow which I think it's expected to, I'll practice with the bound as much as I can and try and video it from a range of angles. I do a fairly close up series from front on. More like this from behind, but with the bound and from the side as well and some really high ones from the front. I'm aware from a series I shot recently, that when I step forward onto the pivot foot out of the bound I step right across myself and the right foot kicks up and round, but comes across, so I'll try and rectify that.

Thats a clever way to show the action Dave. Ive been going on youtube and trying to compare my action to parts of Warnes and having to try and pause them both at the same time. How did you do it.

Thats a clever way to show the action Dave. Ive been going on youtube and trying to compare my action to parts of Warnes and having to try and pause them both at the same time. How did you do it.

Photoshop version 7 or any other version. But the key part is the virtual dub software which is free from the internet. That allows you to freeze the action frame by frame off your video capture. Then use ctrl + printscreen on the keyboard whilts in virtual dub and then open a new file in photo-shop. Then ctrl + v which pastes the image into photoshop. Then crop the image setting the crop tool to a pre-determined size. Then in 'Image' extend the 'Canvas' size to paste the rest of the screen grabs. It'll make sense if you're a photo-shop user and you can use layers, but if you're not, it'll take a bit of learning and obviously the Photoshop software.

Photoshop version 7 or any other version. But the key part is the virtual dub software which is free from the internet. That allows you to freeze the action frame by frame off your video capture. Then use ctrl + printscreen on the keyboard whilts in virtual dub and then open a new file in photo-shop. Then ctrl + v which pastes the image into photoshop. Then crop the image setting the crop tool to a pre-determined size. Then in 'Image' extend the 'Canvas' size to paste the rest of the screen grabs. It'll make sense if you're a photo-shop user and you can use layers, but if you're not, it'll take a bit of learning and obviously the Photoshop software.

Thanks Dave, I'll have to have a look into that. It would be handy to edit my videos on the computer rather than on the camera which is pretty limited in what I can do.

Thanks Dave, I'll have to have a look into that. It would be handy to edit my videos on the computer rather than on the camera which is pretty limited in what I can do.

If your photoshop skills are a bit ropey or don't extend to layers or canvas sizes and re-sizing files, go over to youtube and have a look on there, the resources on there are astounding. If you need to be directed to anything in particualr and want me to point one out to you I will do.

Back