Need Help ( New Legspin Video )

Maybe try to be more smooth in your follow through, bring you arm through fully? Or try to have more drive with front shoulder helps with spin.

Hello again everyone, nice to see you back "LSIML" :) In terms of getting more side-on I have a couple of suggestions for you to try out:

1. Bowl with a more diagonal run-up. This is very controversial, some (such as Grimmett) will say on no account should a bowler do this as it means not all you momentum is focused down the wicket. On the other hand, Philpott says that if it helps you get more side-on, and you can still bowl a good ball, why not? It's something to try, although you need to watch for two things: a) that you're not bowling back-foot No Balls and b) that your follow through doesn't land you on the protected area of the pitch. My run-up is pretty diagonal and always has been, it's the only way I've found so far to get properly side-on.

2. Mailey's run-up. I saw a video of Arthur Mailey bowling (the only one I've ever seen, sadly I can't remember where I found it) where instead of moving into a side on position as he entered his delivery stride he gets side-on two steps before, then sort of hops/crabs sideways into his delivery stride. When our nets are back up in the spring I'm going to try that myself as it seems worth trying.

As Liz said you do seem to have problems with confidence, and perhaps this is your greatest problem. I imagine when you're bowling you are constantly thinking about your action, and that's never a good way to bowl. When I'm bowling my best my mind is a total blank from the start of my delivery to when I release the ball - I'm sure something is going on but I'm in a very relaxed state of mind and everything takes care of itself. I recently finished reading a very interesting book called "Bounce" by Matthew Syed, which is about sport psychology and the way the brain develops in sportsmen, and I really think you would benefit from reading it. His main thrust is that in an skill-dependent activity where there is no over-riding need for particular physical attributes the idea of natural talent is a bit of a myth, and that any reasonably average person can develop impressive skills if they are prepared to practise in the right way and for long enough periods of time, and that sportsmen perform best when the subconscious parts of the brain is controlling everything, with the conscious part being dormant. You really should read it, if you can't find a copy let me know your address (private message) and I'll send it to you.

idea of natural talent is a bit of a myth, and that any reasonably average person can develop impressive skills if they are prepared to practise in the right way and for long enough periods of time, and that sportsmen perform best when the subconscious parts of the brain is controlling everything, with the conscious part being dormant.

I pretty much agree with both those propositions.

Hey guys. Haven't been on for a long while! Very keen to start looking at actions again as the summer gets underway again in Oz.

Something about the weather, and perhaps Australia not choking is getting me going!

Btw my input on this action.

I sort of clicked through it. No side on? Side on shot is VERY important. Tells you a lot about about stride length, stability of front leg, and a lot of balance issues. Get onto it!

I think a lazy action. Left arm does nothing. Your right arm doesn't have the right co-ordination -- needs to be a bit later.

I'm working on a shane warne video tutorial. Check out the leg spin forums. Might have something soon.

Back