Need Help!

Repl

I know a lot of people on this forum are leg spinners but if there are any offies out there please help! When at representative cricket, the coaches expect us to bowl variations which I do but just changing my speeds and flight but he wants me to bowl a top spinner every now and then.

I hold the ball like videos have told me, but I find I always get the seem to come out perfectly straight but at a 45 degree angle which I now use as my big turning delivery compared to my usual ball that doesn't spin a lot.

Any help as to why this happens? Or maybe another delivery I can use as a toppy?

Ask the coaches why they need you to bowl the top-spinner. If it's only that they think you need a straight ball, then you can try loads of things like holding the ball seam up and using your normal off spin action, the ball will come out scrambled seam and, unless it's on a complete dustbowl, this will go straight on if it lands on the leather part of the ball. You can also try just letting the ball roll off the end of your middle finger at the point of delivery, it'll come out rotating towards mid-off (RHB) with a scrambled seam and should go straight on.

As for the actual top-spinner, I wont be much help as I'm a leggie.:)

I know a lot of people on this forum are leg spinners but if there are any offies out there please help! When at representative cricket, the coaches expect us to bowl variations which I do but just changing my speeds and flight but he wants me to bowl a top spinner every now and then.

I hold the ball like videos have told me, but I find I always get the seem to come out perfectly straight but at a 45 degree angle which I now use as my big turning delivery compared to my usual ball that doesn't spin a lot.

Any help as to why this happens? Or maybe another delivery I can use as a toppy?

The top spinner isn't the best variation under the sun to have! If I were an offy with control over my stock ball I would rather work on a carrom ball, undercutter, backspinner, doosra, leg cutter or something like that.

An offspinner's topspinner (along with the doosra) is probably the single hardest ball to bowl of any spin delivery. There are many, many international finger spinners who can't bowl one. Its unrealistic to expect you to be able to, obviously you can give it a go, but there are plenty of other deliveries you can use for variation.

Personal milestone: 100 messages up:D Plenty more to come!

Listen to what Menno Gazendam says here on the pitchvision academy show -

http://www.pitchvision.com/files/PitchVision Academy - PitchVision Academy Cricket Show 242.mp3

You don't need clean top spin so urgently. As long as your taking wickets! Top spin is a bonus and I would encourage you to try and achieve it, but don't get obsessed with it and forget that your side spin and backspin is just as effective.

Hey there Repl,

If you've got to 45 degrees, you are halfway there!

The grip stays the same, but instead of palm facing the batsman (or gully-ish for your 45 deg) you need to get your wrist around further so the little-finger edge of your hand is at the batsman. It takes practise.

Other straight-ball options would be an arm ball, or the 'square' spinner (or flying saucer). These two are better for hitting the stumps, top spinners will get more bounce (good for getting a drive to go up in the air).

Back