Netherlands v Bermuda Tri-Series 3rd ODI

C

cleazer

Netherlands v Bermuda Tri-Series 3rd ODI

Netherlands won their first match, Bermuda lost their first match.
Can Netherlands jump to an advantage at the halfway point of the tri-series, or will Bermuda even things up and create a 3-way tie?

Bermuda won the toss and will bat.

Re: Netherlands v Bermuda Tri-Series 3rd ODI

Bermuda made a couple changes, with Clay Smith coming in for Outerbridge, and Durham coming in for Steede.

Outerbridge did well in the Intercontinental Cup match against Netherlands, but didn't do much in the first ODI here, not in the tour of Kenya.

Netherlands have made three changes.
Tom de Grooth, van Nierop, Stelling, and Seelar are in.
Szwarczynski, Kervezee, Borren, and Kashif are out.

Smith and Minors have started out on fire for Bermuda.
They're up to 49-0 after 7 overs.

Me and my big mouth!
Smith out for 20,
Bermuda 50-1 after 8

Minors gone for 27, and Romaine gone too.
Things have slowed done after that opening burst.

Bermuda 81-3 after 17 overs.
Hemp and Kwame Tucker are the current batsmen.
Can Hemp put in yet another good performance for Bermuda?

Kwame Tucker out, Janeiro Tucker in.

Bermuda 90-4 after 20

Hemp out for 33, Janeiro and Cann gone to.
Bermuda 136-7 after 29.3 overs, they're going to need Mukuddem and other the bowlers to deliver with the bat, or they won't be setting a challenging total at all.

Goodness gracious! this is a total disaster, They'll probably regret batting first. Clay hasn't been doing to good with the bat, this is diappointing to say the least.

Bermuda 160-7 after 40.

Not scoring a ton of runs, but a good job by Mukuddem and Durham to keep the partnership going for more than 10 overs.

cleazer;117677 said:
Bermuda 160-7 after 40.

Not scoring a ton of runs, but a good job by Mukuddem and Durham to keep the partnership going for more than 10 overs.

yeah, i hope they could at least get to 200.

Durham is out on 11, Leverock is in. I wonder if he could duplicate his feat from the Intercontinental cup?

nevermind, Leverock just got out for 2

It's all over. Bermuda all out for 178. Let's see how they will defend this. The bowlers will have to bring their triple A game.

Mukuddem was top scorer with 43, Hemp was next with 33.
Tim de Leede took 3 wickets, and Jonkman, Stelling, and van Bunge took 2 each.

178 really should be a fairly easy target for Netherlands to reach. They even ought to be able to do it in under 40 overs. I have a feeling Bermuda is going to lose two in a row here.

Netherlands 36-1 after 9 overs. They're not exactly flying along here, but they're still scoring at more than enough of a rate to beat Bermuda's total.

Netherlands won easily in the end. They cruised to 2/180 after just 37.5 overs, winning the game by 8 wickets.

Zuiderent finished on 63 not out with van Neirop in support with 31 not out. Ryan ten Doeschate scored 65.

Kelly and Durham got one wicket each for Bermuda.

Bermuda will rue not being able to bat out the 50 overs. This is must in such a high level of cricket and it is a lesson they will soon learn. After such a good start, Bermuda threw their wickets away and if it hadn't of been for some lower order fightback, they could of been bowled out for a much lower score. On the flip side, they could've posted a huge score had they not lost consistent wickets after such a good start.

Another win for the Netherlands who are having a grand tournament so far. Two wins from two starts, they are definitely looking the goods. Playing beautiful cricket and they were simply far too good today for Bermuda after a somewhat shaky start.

Man of the Match was Tim de Leede for his 3/26.

Wow, that's a pretty crushing defeat. I think that was van Neirop's first ever ODI, nice way to make a debut.

Bermuda definitely have some players who can play at this level (especially Mukuddem and Hemp), but half of their players are quickly approaching retirement age. They're going to have a tough time at the next World Cup Qualifier in 2009 if a lot of those players don't stick around.

Netherlands seems to have a few more quality players that are slightly younger too. Most importantly, ten Doeschate should be around for another decade.

If Netherlands can keep this up for their final 2 games of the tournament, we'll see a clear geographic split in the 5 Associate teams, with the 3 UEFA teams on top and the 2 CONCACAF teams on bottom. Okay, I guess my mind is on soccer, but you get the point. The 3 Europe teams on top, and the 2 Americas teams on the bottom.

The only question is where Kenya fits in. We'll find out in January. Hopefully Canada will field a full strength team and move ahead of one or two of the European sides.

This is very disappointing loss indeed.Can't seem to pinpoint what the problem is. It looks like their picking up where Canada left off in terms of losses. Is this their bad period?, we know all teams go through those. They have two more games to go and I'm hoping they could come out of those with at least 1 win.

What doesn't help is the behaviour that has been displayed by two members of the Bermuda team, namely, Leverock and Smith, with both getting a repremand by the match referee. This is totally out of character for Leverock. Smith on the other hand has in the past had problems with his temper locally, but I would have thought he has passed that. Certainly not a good example to the younger players.

cleazer;117794 said:
Bermuda definitely have some players who can play at this level (especially Mukuddem and Hemp), but half of their players are quickly approaching retirement age. They're going to have a tough time at the next World Cup Qualifier in 2009 if a lot of those players don't stick around.

True, Hemp and Mukuddem can certainly hold their own,the others are also capable but have a problem with consistency. With the exception of Kelly, Outerbridge, Trott, Jones and possibly Cann, the majority won't be around for the 2009 qualifer. Currently there are a group of younger players being goomed to take their place. Having said that, Bermuda also have excellent players currently, who, for whatever reason won't make themselves available for team selection, preferring club over country. Others who did have short spells with the team quit because of lack of committment to training, or problems with attitude and fitness e.g. George O'Brien who was axed from the team for this very reason. Since qualify for the WC, it's been a real wake up call of what's required to play at this level. However I aplaud the current members who have made enormous sacrifices to do so.

Having said all that, because of our small population, we don't have a large pool of players to pick from like other countries. However having qualified for the WC for the first time is a feat in itself. I hope by the time that comes around the team will be at their peak.

Finally because they are the highest paid out of all the associate members, a lot is expected of them to perform better than they are at present.

Just thought I'll give some insight into the situation :)

Back