New Dvca Grading Structure

Just putting it out there... which clubs could we see join the DVCA in the near future...?

Remembering for clubs to be eligible to join DVCA must reside within the 3 council zones, unless we change our comp rules...

Only some of the HDCA clubs that didnt join could have the option of coming in under these current rules. Heid West, Ivanhoe.. West Ivanhoe?
NMCA - Rivergum, Lalor...? anyone else fit the bill..?
Fair call ex Prez, as of the clubs you list only Rivergum and West Ivanhoe United meet the DVCA criteria being within the 3 council zones AND having juniors. From what I can see none of the others do.
You would think that West Ivanhoe is better located in NMCA, so that leaves Rivergum.
So are we changing the current structure to maybe accommodate one side ?

Another point, the proposal says grades of 10/10/8 where they play 9 two day games. Works fine for the grades of 10 but in the grade of 8 that would mean you play 5 sides once and 2 sides twice. You would like your chances of playing finals getting Plenty Valley twice :D

Another point, the proposal says grades of 10/10/8 where they play 9 two day games. Works fine for the grades of 10 but in the grade of 8 that would mean you play 5 sides once and 2 sides twice. You would like your chances of playing finals getting Plenty Valley twice :D

Should we be thinking further north?? Everyone says Plenty Valley are not up to scratch, but they have a great junior program incorporating all of Laurimar, with 2 U/12's, 1 U/14's and 1 U /16's - a very quickly growing young area. Are they the GWS of the DVCA in 2 - 5 years.
Doreen could have their own club in a few years.....

Should we be thinking further north?? Everyone says Plenty Valley are not up to scratch, but they have a great junior program incorporating all of Laurimar, with 2 U/12's, 1 U/14's and 1 U /16's - a very quickly growing young area. Are they the GWS of the DVCA in 2 - 5 years.

There may well be another club up their in the future. Problem with Plenty Valley is they're a subbies club, and consequently will prioritise that comp, so the talented juniors would play that comp. Their DVCA sides, because of the way the standards line up, will never be competitive with the 1s sides in the DVCA.

They are already a power house. In another competition. Using players that they have stolen from us. They have their token one side in the comp just so that they can say that they are apart of the DVCA and they are a feeder to bigger and better things. Luring youngsters into believing they are good enough to take the step, thus taking them out of DVCA clubs, and then having them play a rubbish standard filling up numbers in the lower grades.

They are already a power house. In another competition. Using players that they have stolen from us. They have their token one side in the comp just so that they can say that they are apart of the DVCA and they are a feeder to bigger and better things. Luring youngsters into believing they are good enough to take the step, thus taking them out of DVCA clubs, and then having them play a rubbish standard filling up numbers in the lower grades.

Watsonia, anyone?
Quite right, Tongs, it happened then, and it was always going to happen again.
People who forget the mistakes of history are doomed to repeat them.

First time on this season and just been through reading all the posts about the proposed changes.
Not one person on here has brought up what I believe is the single most important flaw in the whole proposal,

Why are we playing less cricket ? 9 bloody games would be a disgrace over a 6 month period for anyone who is serious about playing at a reasonably competitive level. regardless of 8 teams or 10 teams or what ever the number finally is, 9 games is a joke. and to say throw in a comp game or a few T20's is laughable. We have a good T20 comp already and the comp games died off because most of the quality players don't give a stuff about them.
Cricket is a sport that needs its players Batting more and bowling more in my opinion to retain player numbers. 7 one dayers and 7 two dayers is perfect in my opinion, If the draws a bit uneven then so be it. At the end of the day guys just want to play and enjoy it. Why have 9 hits a season when you can have 14 and bowlers can bowl a little more often.
My cricketing career is at the backend of its time, but if 9 games a season was brought in 15 years ago I would've gone and played in a comp where I would've got more opportunity to bat and bowl.

Think about it 9 hits in 6 months, and that's only guaranteed if your an opening batsmen. but if you bat on the second day of a game and that's washed out then there not even guaranteed that.

Im actually all for leaving Barclay as it is and then playing all other grades as 8 team comps, with relegation and promotion throughout with 2 up and 2 down.

Thoughts anyone?

Don't throw that dreaded word around. Equalisation. Its not the AFL, and besides. They're a billion dollar organisation, and they cannot get equalisation right. What will you be wanting next, a salary cap to ensure that its fair right across the board (I'd suggest that you boys would eb over any salary cap installed :D)

Teams should not ever be put into a grade based on them being that clubs 1s. All teams in the top 2 or 3 Shields should be the best 30 teams (Or whatever it ends up) in the comp. Non negotiable. If a club is not good enough in Money Shield and gets relegated to B grade (The new Shield) so be it. Allowing weak teams to play higher because they're not allowed to be relegated is what will cheapen/weaken the comp.

And I remember us having the same recruiting debate about getting players to your club if you're in Money Shield. You only need to look in your own backyard to know that if your club is in good order off field and you can promote your club well, you can recruit well. As you boys did.

Nice dig Tongs, but as you mention, getting the culture right off field drives recruiting far more easily than throwing around big bucks. I would be very surprised if we forked out any more than any of the top 4 MS sides from last year.

Q - if Thom Utd / Whitt / Mill Park and to a lesser extent Panton Hill had a game against North Eltham's 2's, do you seriously think that they would all get rolled. Just because a team goes up, and 4 teams go down in one season, (which is a massive anomaly) does not necessarily reflect a true indication of teams ability.

The more I read and think about it the more I'm thinking this isn't a great idea. The only good thing about this proposal (in it's current suggest form) was the ability to grow, but if it's true what leggie says about few other clubs able to meet the criteria for joining the comp then there goes my point (and I really was trying hard to find good things about it). That isn't to say I'm opposed to a little change and what Draught says is actually pretty good. Break it down more, play more cricket (7 one day, 7 two day) and keep the relegation/promotion system going. Bring in another shield too and just regrade everyone based on their current positions after this coming season. I could even see the 2 up 2 down working. Stir the sides up a little and give people, especially at the bottom of the ladder a little kick in the butt.

That surely has to meet all the objectives stated without the loss of any games.

Nice dig Tongs, but as you mention, getting the culture right off field drives recruiting far more easily than throwing around big bucks. I would be very surprised if we forked out any more than any of the top 4 MS sides from last year.

Q - if Thom Utd / Whitt / Mill Park and to a lesser extent Panton Hill had a game against North Eltham's 2's, do you seriously think that they would all get rolled. Just because a team goes up, and 4 teams go down in one season, (which is a massive anomaly) does not necessarily reflect a true indication of teams ability.

You know it was just a bit of banter, I actually commended your club on how they've achieved their success.

Last season, Banyule and South Morang both finished above Thomo, Whittlesea and Panton Hill. Those three got relegated, and this season NEW 2nd XI finished on top of Banyule and South Morang, so I'd suggest that NEW are actually stronger than what you're giving them credit for.

The NMCA has had an 8 team comp, playing 7 one day & 2 day games for a number of years now.
Most who you speak to say it works really well.
Makes the season more even as some of the lesser teams can win some one day games which keeps them in the hunt longer.
Only 8 teams would also make the 1st div and 2nd div comps pretty strong.

I am happy with whatever they propose.
If they leave same as now - is ok. Dont like 1's playing against 2's though.
If they go to 10 team grades - I dont mind either. At 43, and playing Vets, dont mind a few weeks less...
* Preference would be for the 8 team option. I like it.

At least the Exec is thinking about the comp and putting it out there for comment

Slow day in the office so reading back through all the posts here, its fair to say that this new grading structure hasnt got much if any support.
Does anyone know if anybody is intending to do anything about it, voice their disapproval, march in the streets, etc, etc ?

You can't have everything, at least the website's latest WEEKLY MEDIA REPORT now includes a write-up of last season's GFs.
You're kidding surely. What would you like the DVCA Exec to do? Would you like a weekly media report done each week during the off season just to keep you in the loop.
If you want to know something, ask your clubs representative.

The balls we will use for season 14/15 will be supplied by Kookaburra.

The restructure of the comp will go ahead as planned in 16/17.

You're kidding surely. What would you like the DVCA Exec to do? Would you like a weekly media report done each week during the off season just to keep you in the loop.

Nope, no problems at all with the fact that that they didn't do one during the off-season.
Just bemused that they would put up the "Weekly Media Report" link on the home page last week, then take readers to a 4-month old repeat post from last season.

If you want to know something, ask your clubs representative.

That's OK, I already knew the GF results from last season, I didn't need to ask my club rep.

Back