New 'EPL' Announced

Jelly Beanz

New 'EPL' Announced

Cricinfo said:
The much-anticipated English Premier League will get underway in 2010, with two divisions made up of ten teams, after the ECB unveiled a radical shake-up of the domestic game following its board meeting at Lord's.

In a unanimous decision, the format that has been agreed upon will involve all 18 first-class counties, plus two overseas sides to make up the numbers, with the matches to be played in the month of June. One of the teams will be provided by Allen Stanford and it is believed the other will be from India, with the winners of the IPL the likely choice.

Full story: http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/england/content/current/story/361423.html

They still haven't announced the numbers of overseas players allowed or any other changes/innovations that will make this league different from the current T20 but I think the fact that the current T20 comp will still run alongside this new one could make it pretty dull. Overkill comes to mind and to be honest, who's going to watch the bog standard version after all the big hyped-up stuff is finished?

What do you guys think of the new plans?

Re: New 'EPL' Announced

It seems that the ECB want some of the money the IPL has generated. When the main man at ECB (forgot his name already) was interviewed on Sky during Essex/Yorkshire the first thing he said was World Television Broadcasters were asked what they wanted then it seemed everyone else!!
Watching a lot of IPL it struck me how much Razzmataz went with it, which I think made it more of a spectacle and the caliber of players meant that there was always something to be interested in. Nasser Hussain, said if all 18 clubs can have 4 overseas players the quality of participants will be diluted, I think he has a point.
I hope it works well for everyone (ECB,Counties,Players and Fans) but that is an awful lot of people to keep happy.

If they are going to have 4 'overseas' per team then they are going to have to find 80 players - not going to happen. At least, not 80 high quality ones.

Sorry, that should read 3 overseas players. But that is still a lot of players. Hussain was concerned that once again there will not be enough scope for younger players to come through.

Even 3 means that the talent is going to be spread quite thin.

They have to make so that each team must field 2 English qualified players, aged under 23, plus 7 other English qualified players.

If its not held during the IPL then they shouldn't have problems in getting good International players in the EPL. Their aim is to make a lot of money so International stars are a must.
Hopefully, they will schedule it better than the IPL and won't have as many matches.

Hussain is right: 18 teams is absolutely ridiclous. But hell, if three seasons of twenty20 overkill means that the appeal for that form of cricket subsides and as a result there's less of it, i'll run naked through the streets with glee.

That said, i'm guessing the team names in the EPL will be slightly more creative and the team uniforms a whole lot less... umm how to put this in the nicest way possible... horrid?

So is this going to replace the T20 County Championships? I think 18 teams are too much but then County cricket is popular in England so it might work. In India domestic cricket is not that popular thats why they limited the teams to just the bigger cities.

Back