New Video Of Action

Re: New Video Of Action

Please don't let your frustration get the better of you storm... you are much better than that.

You are really looking good, just the same old things... think 'tall' and keep your eye on the batsman. Master these two things and it will keep you straight, both vertically and horizontally. I want to see a video where you are not watching the ground... honestly storm, it's not going anywhere :)

Remember to watch the foot faults too. Get it right all the time or it will muck up your rhythm during the match.

PS I'm glad you changed the message... think positively... always ;)

Thanks Liz, I really do appreciate it, you are such a massivley great help to me :):)

not sure how relevant these 2 points are to your action, but theyd seem to me like being quite bad habits in practice that might cause you issues in matches. if not then just ignore me as im not a pace bowler or particularly knowledgable in the required technique...

1. your action and follow through seem to carry you either straight down the wicket or across it. not sure at club level if anything gets said/done about running on the wicket (its certainly a very big issue if you do it at county/international level!), but you seem to run across it on most deliveries, it might not be a bad idea to get into the habit of turning away from the wicket after the delivery. e.g. run off to the left in the follow through.

2. your front foot is over the line pretty much every time, which would obviously be a no ball. youre only practicing so it doesnt matter so much, but id think its a bad habit to have. if youre practicing with an incorrectly measured run up then its probably going to become an issue in match situations. might be worth paying some more attention to that during practice to avoid it becoming a bad habit?

just a couple of simple things i noticed that i thought were worth mentioning. with regards the rest of your action im not qualified to make suggestions, to me it looks fast, straight and full though which is probably the 3 things youd want it to be.

Yeah thanks for the input guys, when i was doing these videos i didnt mark a run up or think about no balls, but it is a very good point that i shouldnt get into the habit of doing that.
As for the running down the wicket, i'm doing it in the vids because im trying to exaggerate keeping from leaning to my left, I also shouldn't lets this become a habit, soo thanks :).

Don't worry about running down the wicket, you need to do so... at least 50% the distance of your run up. However, you must run straight down the wicket... you need to keep everything straight. You drift to the right because you are not looking where you are going.

Just another point about that... how do you know what the batsman is doing if you are not looking at him? If you do not know what he is doing, how do you know how to adjust to his technique? I can assure you, he is watching you the whole time!

Also, if he was to bat the ball straight back at you, how would you know? Possible missed C&Bs ;)

Perhaps it would also be best if you mastered your stock ball before thinking about spinning :)

okay, i'll just focus on keeping tall and looking at the batsmen, i usually get away with not looking at the batsmen because i play in a lower league than i should, so the batsmen rarley do anything other than block or edge to 3rd man, but if i want to play better i really need to master it, thanks liz, will update with a new video once i have mastered it :)

Liz Ward;361731 said:
Don't worry about running down the wicket, you need to do so... at least 50% the distance of your run up. However, you must run straight down the wicket... you need to keep everything straight. You drift to the right because you are not looking where you are going.

Just another point about that... how do you know what the batsman is doing if you are not looking at him? If you do not know what he is doing, how do you know how to adjust to his technique? I can assure you, he is watching you the whole time!

Also, if he was to bat the ball straight back at you, how would you know? Possible missed C&Bs ;)

Perhaps it would also be best if you mastered your stock ball before thinking about spinning :)

I do not think that Anderson looks at the batsmen at least after delivery ( which might explain why he bowls hot and cold) , his head is bent down. Also the famous chinaman bowler the south african adams definitely could not look at the batsman. Here he is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_56Tnq8wP8He looked like a contortionist. I also heard Glen McGrath state that when bowling he did not look at a particular spot to bowl . Obviously after so many balls bowled, I presume the body has a feel to where the ball will land.

I think you will find Mr Anderson always looks ahead :)

YouTube - James Anderson first English bowler to take a hatrick

His head goes down [for a split second] but his eyes are always forward and he adjusts his head immediately.

It is not really a case of watching for a particular spot to bowl. If you look for this spot with every delivery, the batsman will get the measure of you very quickly. Almost all batsmen betray their intentions [as do bowlers]. Bowlers need to assess in an instant what this is likely to be to avoid being tonked. If they are not watching him, they cannot see the subtle adjustments he makes. Body language is everything.

Whilst on the above video storm, watch James bowl approximately a third of the way through. See how tall he is, he has the action of a trebuchet. He hinges at the hips but he does not collapse. This is what you are aiming for at the moment.

Looks like you've got a very nice whip-like action, and the pace looks good as well.

You could work on your first stride after you release the ball. You seem to slow down quite a bit once you've released the ball, and the stride you take with your right leg just after release is small. This means you're not carrying much momentum through your action, which means you're putting a lot of pressure on you're left leg during delivery.

You could try really pumping your right knee forwards after you release the ball and get a big first stride after delivery. This could mean a smoother action and more pace (which is always good!)

have a look at two of the quickest bowlers ever (Malcolm Marshall and Michael Holding) and how big the stride they put in with their right leg after delivery.

YouTube - Michael Holding v England (Oval 1976 )

YouTube - Malcolm Marshall the magnificent

Might be worth experimenting in the nets (obviously not during a match!), if it helps great, if it doesn't then go back to how you were before.

Two great videos. The first one brings back a lot of memories... I was there! It was such a hot day.

It was also nice to see our Stuart's Dad at the crease again; such a great man, a true modern day hero and I am sure his son will be just as great :)

However, be careful emulating actions from over thirty years. It worked for them then but science has moved on so much since and I would never recommend Marshall's 'pitcher' action these days.

big spin makes some very good points, however, decrease in speed after you release the ball is caused by excess contralateral rotation, this comes from not looking where you are going. This also accounts for stride malfunction of your back foot as it has to come around your front foot. This is also the reason you have to collapse at the front foot knee... self preservation!

Its not pumping your right knee you need but you need to be able to maximise the wind up and cocking mechanisms. As I said, these are in place but all the stored energy in this area is lost through rotation.

Key to your issues is keeping straight, from start to finish. Eliminate any deviation and everything else will come through easily.

I agree with Liz, I definately didn't mean for you to copy Holding or marshall's actions, I just wanted to show how big the step they take after delivery. If you look at any modern international bowler, they all have a big exit stride as well.

This might help you:

CRICKETNDTV.com - Cricket Unlimited

As Liz said keeping straight and tall is the way to go, look how tall the bowler in the video stays.

Again, give it a go, but if it doesn't work just go back to how you were before.

Back