New Video!

TomBowler97

Hi Guys,
New video for batting, really keen to improve my batting so would be great to have some feedback either on here or on the video on youtube itself.

Thanks, Tom.

I reckon your Dad needs to get the pro version of the side arm, it'll be far more pacey. Good on him though for learning how to use it. Me and my so had a go with one tonight as well, but the paddock is a bit rough and inconsistent and my son got the ache with the inconsistency. I did try it with me which I desperately need, but he's not as good with it as I am so it was pointless. He then bowled properly and he got me a number of times, but then I tried something different. I set my self poised with a really high & at the ready back lift, and possibly more side-on and the move towards the ball and it all seemed to come together and I kept hitting the ball!!! Which is unheard of - lovely off-drives. I need to do it again soon, just to see if it was a fluke, but he got really p****d with it all and stopped bowling !!

I reckon your Dad needs to get the pro version of the side arm, it'll be far more pacey. Good on him though for learning how to use it. Me and my so had a go with one tonight as well, but the paddock is a bit rough and inconsistent and my son got the ache with the inconsistency. I did try it with me which I desperately need, but he's not as good with it as I am so it was pointless. He then bowled properly and he got me a number of times, but then I tried something different. I set my self poised with a really high & at the ready back lift, and possibly more side-on and the move towards the ball and it all seemed to come together and I kept hitting the ball!!! Which is unheard of - lovely off-drives. I need to do it again soon, just to see if it was a fluke, but he got really p****d with it all and stopped bowling !!

I think we were drawn to it as it doesnt take barely any time to master! But youre right, he is really good with it and I am similar to your son as I am pretty awful with the sidearm! I end up running off a length and bowing seam to him. I will have to try what you did! Could you check out my new bowling video? I posted a link onto the spin section of the forum.

There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with your backlift or backswing.

I've noticed is that your initial movement seems to be to kick your back leg to square leg leaving you a bit closed off, if you are moving your back leg then your weight will be on your front leg and could leave you playing around that front pad. Also when you are playing a back-foot defence you aren't getting behind the ball, splaying your back leg out won't help and on your front foot you seem to be falling over a little.

I'd have a look at trying to remain a bit more still upon delivery of the ball, it may be a case of starting with an open stance so that when your back leg moves it puts you side on. For front foot play I would look at moving your head closer to the line of the ball and just grooving the drive with some under-arm tennis balls with a focus on balance.

I'm being quite critical here but hopefully it will help.

Definitely work on getting that back foot to stop moving to square leg. As soon as that happens, the rest of your body follows and you drag the bat away from the ball. If you want a back foot movement first, going back and across to point is the way to go (it doesn't need to be a huge step or movement). It will certainly help with playing those short balls; instead of trying to flick them over slips or gully, you'll have the head in line and you'll be able to pull them to the mid wicket boundary.

Back