New Zealand Tour In England

Mugshot

So NZ are warming up to their huge two game series against England and are not doing bad if the reports are to go by. The news is saying NZ got a solid start against Derby and with two half centuries whilst resting some players Im hoping the black caps give England a good run out on the 16th.

Yeah. In the bowling ranks: Wagner is a certain due to his impressive bowling against Derbyshire and Bracewell's and Gillespie's lack of stand-out performances. Plus, Martin did well to pick up wickets on a pitch that didn't offer that much (I think).

So at the moment, our Test bowling preference would be like this:

1) T Southee
2) T Boult
3) N Wagner
4) B Martin (might not play if it's a seamer)
5) D Bracewell (will probably replace Martin on a seaming pitch)
6) M Gillespie (unless something goes seriously wrong: he shouldn't get a game)

As far as the batting goes, Watling was impressive again and good to see Brownlie get some runs. Also a little surprising was Latham getting a score as well. Still don't think he'll get a game in the Whites this tour but it can only do good for him in the future. Guptill didn't score enough to kick out Brownlie from his spot in the middle order so the batting order should look basically the same as in the home tour.

Overall, the Test team should look a lot similar to the one at home (as it should).

Tuned in to the Lions game on radio now. I wish they had stump mics. :/ Nice to hear Iain O'Brien's voice, though -- he commentates well.

I'm really hoping that Fulton and Rutherford can settle in to some runs and confidence prior to the Test matches -- they'll play an important role in the solidity of NZ's batting lineup against the Andersons and Broads. I reckon the batters will do well on this tour. I'm also curious to the result of the Wagner v Bracewell selection. Doug Bracewell seemed to have found his place in the side, but Neil Wagner can feel hard done by if he misses out (assuming both Boult and Southee do well in this game). I wouldn't mind seeing a Boult-Southee-Wagner attack.

Matt Hoggard has just come into comms now. First time I've heard him. I approve.

Joe Root has been an inspiration for England Lions to gain the draw, I was going to go down but the weather was poor and it showed with the game getting rained off. Root is on for 1,000 runs this month and would be the first to do so in 75 years if he achieved it.

Joe Root has been an inspiration for England Lions to gain the draw, I was going to go down but the weather was poor and it showed with the game getting rained off. Root is on for 1,000 runs this month and would be the first to do so in 75 years if he achieved it.

Staking his claim for Ashes, isn't he?

On another note I thought New Zealand were going to struggle after seeing their batting and then England coming in, but Southee did tremendously with his bowling to get 4 wickets off 17 balls. I thought we were strong in our second innings with Root shining with 71, again before Southee went and put a spanner in the works for us, he certainly is keeping NZ in the match.

Seems Southee is making all the headlines, not Root - Southee rocks England

Hugely disappointing end to the Test match! I'd drop Fulton (I know it's tough) until he fixes his obvious technical error (He get's out like that every second time!) and bring in Guptill. Brownlie probably should be dropped as well which would bring in Latham.

If Bruce Martin isn't fit then they'll either go with four seamers (which might be logical with how Williamson has been bowling) or they'll have to get Jeetan Patel over from Warwickshire. :eek: Unless they give Nathan McCullum his first Test cap (not a fan of this idea).

I THINK ENGLAND HAS A VERY GOOD BOWLING SIDE WITH BRENSNAN,BROAD AND FINN.BUT WHEN WE LOOK AT THE KIWIS THERE IS NO CONSISTENT FAST BOWLER WHO CAN TAKE WICKETS.BRENDON MCCULLUM IS NOT PROVING HIS TALENT AS A GOOD CAPTAIN

I THINK ENGLAND HAS A VERY GOOD BOWLING SIDE WITH BRENSNAN,BROAD AND FINN.BUT WHEN WE LOOK AT THE KIWIS THERE IS NO CONSISTENT FAST BOWLER WHO CAN TAKE WICKETS.BRENDON MCCULLUM IS NOT PROVING HIS TALENT AS A GOOD CAPTAIN

Did you watch the Test just finished? And the Test series in NZ?

Disappointing end by NZ, they had a real chance but were just completely rolled in the end. Hopefully they can provide a better contest for the full game in the next match.

Ian Bell has been passed fit for England's second Test with New Zealand at Headingley.England squad for second Test : Alastair Cook (Essex, captain), James Anderson (Lancashire), Jonny Bairstow (Yorkshire), Ian Bell (Warwickshire), Tim Bresnan (Yorkshire), Stuart Broad (Nottinghamshire), Nick Compton (Somerset), Steven Finn (Middlesex), Matt Prior (Sussex, wk), Joe Root (Yorkshire), Graeme Swann (Nottinghamshire), Jonathan Trott (Warwickshire). starting on Friday

Back