Nmca 2014/15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would hope its the comps doing and not Darebins request as that would be poor by them.
Maybe they didn't like playing real cricket and rather be big fish in the lower grades.

But if this is true that 2 sides will be dropped out by the comp who would come in? Bundy park and baseballers?
you would want the teams to coming in to be competitive as Lalor only just misses out on playing in a grand final and Darebin only just missed finals not bad effort for there first year up

The Comp is going backwards if it allows this to happen, the best must be playing the best! No point these two teams going down
and destroying lower grade teams!

Olympic Colts definitely going up?
I will tell you straight from the horses mouth, me being the horse. That if we are forced back down to Jack Quick again it wont be for a lack of effort on our part to recruit players to field a third side or juniors. We are running a Milo cricket and definitely trying to field a third side hopefully a two day side at worst a
one day side. The events of the last two years has left a very bad taste in our mouth and we are determined to turn all that around. And we will give the big show a shake.

Hopefully you can field a third side to satisfy Jika Shield requirements. It's good to be optimistic however you also need to be realistic. No chance of giving the big show a shake.

Hopefully you can field a third side to satisfy Jika Shield requirements. It's good to be optimistic however you also need to be realistic. No chance of giving the big show a shake.
Thanks for your input Kentucky, and of course we are optimistic. We only missed out on finals in Jika shield a few years back because if an indiscretion by a player no longer at our club. We were competitive that year and though lost a few players have picked up a few and believe we will be competitive again. You say no chance and we say every chance. We have a bunch of blokes that go together as mates and as a side, interesting to watch other teams with high paid players implode. Sometimes character of people is as important as perceived ability, people that change clubs chasing a dollar sometimes upset the fabric of the club. We have never been a wealthy club, we struggle from year to year but if wealth was measured in courage and commitment we would buy and sell most clubs in this comp. So I say we have as much chance as anyone else.

I suggest that local cricket should be just that " Local Cricket" District clubs have finally woken up and they are chasing local
kids to play for them. Ask a kid, " do you want to play for Carlton or PYCW?? ( no disrespect to yc's, had to use somebody).
I suggest to the powers that be, we must start moving in new directions and that could be "Back to What Jika was".
the best teams to the bottom teams with a T20 Sunday carnival to keep people interested. So what if you have one team?? if your that bad or good so be it!
You can't go on about being an all encompassing BLAH Blah Blah and then throw teams out of comps. We have to have a real good think about were it's all going. We need to be leaders in these areas because "Local Cricket" is going down the drain.

I suggest that local cricket should be just that " Local Cricket" District clubs have finally woken up and they are chasing local
kids to play for them. Ask a kid, " do you want to play for Carlton or PYCW?? ( no disrespect to yc's, had to use somebody).
I suggest to the powers that be, we must start moving in new directions and that could be "Back to What Jika was".
the best teams to the bottom teams with a T20 Sunday carnival to keep people interested. So what if you have one team?? if your that bad or good so be it!
You can't go on about being an all encompassing BLAH Blah Blah and then throw teams out of comps. We have to have a real good think about were it's all going. We need to be leaders in these areas because "Local Cricket" is going down the drain.
I agree with all you have said, I loved the old days of park cricket where you played with your mates and never expected money to play. I played A grade through a lot of the 80's and quite a deal of the 90's and never got paid a cent nor did I expect it. Todays generation is different and while there are clubs willing to pay the $$$ then the better kids will gravitate there. Add the cost of running clubs to the equation and clubs become businesses that have generate lucra to survive. One side clubs cant survive, this season we had 40 players rotate through 2 sides with a solid core of about 20 players. We won the B Grade flag but cant survive like that and the NMCA know this which is why they have adopted stricter guidelines. We all need juniors going forward in order to survive in ten years time. Maybe the league should look at a grade below C to accommodate those struggling clubs, we at Colts know we are at a crossroads . We change our culture or disapear, we had great improvements on the culture side this year and will continue down that path, we are on the hunt for recruits and we dont care how good they are so long as they are good blokes who want to play cricket.

I might well be wrong, but I think people overestimate the number of people at clubs that are getting payed, and how much they're getting payed.

I think if you're getting payed you want to be averaging 50 with the bat or taking 3 wickets a game across the season. But otherwise I think local cricket is all about local guys playing cricket for their local club that is supported by the local community.

I also played in the 80's fantastic days, but those days are gone.
I will guarantee that clubs In "B" grade are playing massive dollars.
I have been told by the father of a kid that plays at Northcote who's son has done sweet f all, that a DVCA side in
Money Shield offered him 20 large. when this kind of thing is happening what hope do local clubs have.
In "A" Jika all clubs pay, also most "B" grade clubs play as well, trust me I have been around to long and know
to many guys not to know. I'm really concerned for our comp as we can't nor should we do what other comps are
doing. We should try and stay ahead of the pack like the 8 grade comps, we caught everyone napping on that.
It was the best thing that's ever happened to the comp. The thing is I don't think apart from a few on the board
there is enough smart forward thinking people to get things done. I'll give you an idea, instead of making up rules of how
many teams or junior's you have to have, why don't we get club public officers or Secretary's to sign a stat dec that say's
no one except the Captain or Coach get paid?? anyone's thoughts??

I also played in the 80's fantastic days, but those days are gone.
I will guarantee that clubs In "B" grade are playing massive dollars.
I have been told by the father of a kid that plays at Northcote who's son has done sweet f all, that a DVCA side in
Money Shield offered him 20 large. when this kind of thing is happening what hope do local clubs have.
In "A" Jika all clubs pay, also most "B" grade clubs play as well, trust me I have been around to long and know
to many guys not to know. I'm really concerned for our comp as we can't nor should we do what other comps are
doing. We should try and stay ahead of the pack like the 8 grade comps, we caught everyone napping on that.
It was the best thing that's ever happened to the comp. The thing is I don't think apart from a few on the board
there is enough smart forward thinking people to get things done. I'll give you an idea, instead of making up rules of how
many teams or junior's you have to have, why don't we get club public officers or Secretary's to sign a stat dec that say's
no one except the Captain or Coach get paid?? anyone's thoughts??
It is clear to me that the NMCA powerbrokers are trying to create an elite competition and are trying to close the gap on the DVCA. I have seen some DVCA and believe their top grades are strong, but only because their clubs have the coin and because most areas north of Latrobe University are growth corridors with thousands of kids. Theres Power in numbers, if you have the numbers of some of these teams and the parental involvement and sponsorship, a lot of these parents run small businesses or work for large firms in good jobs there is more money floating about. As a small club from West Heidelberg we dont have those resources. I personally know half a dozen players that have left their club for money, I cant blame them but our door is always open if they want to come back.
But we cant match the coin offerred. It is just the way of things today. 8 side grades is a good idea, I think the DVCA looks unbalanced somehow. 8 teams 7 two dayers and 7 one dayers is a good balance. As far as Captains and Coaches only being paid, they will always figure out an underhanded way of paying someone under the table. I had too many years in the Ammos (footy) where it has always been there but well hidden.

I might well be wrong, but I think people overestimate the number of people at clubs that are getting payed, and how much they're getting payed.

I think if you're getting payed you want to be averaging 50 with the bat or taking 3 wickets a game across the season. But otherwise I think local cricket is all about local guys playing cricket for their local club that is supported by the local community.
Wish that were true.

100% Coltery. the only thing is that how will we survive? I can't see past 10 years.
Drop off rate, if you pay you won't last the money runs out. I think the question is how
do you get an entire generation involved. That"s were I think the board are letting the game down,
advertising, going to schools telling the kids the nearest club available. Yeah I know what they'll say,
"That's for the clubs to do" we have 30 club and what 5 schools around us?? plus club people are all
Volunteers, the comp has plenty of money in the kitty, employ someone on a casual basis to go around the
schools and say "Hey, You have these clubs near you or that club and the clubs can work with them to run clinics, etc.
We need to start getting aggressive or we're dead. We might be dead anyway, Kids and Senior's haven't got time anymore.
Sad ending to what was once a great Comp.

100% Coltery. the only thing is that how will we survive? I can't see past 10 years.
Drop off rate, if you pay you won't last the money runs out. I think the question is how
do you get an entire generation involved. That"s were I think the board are letting the game down,
advertising, going to schools telling the kids the nearest club available. Yeah I know what they'll say,
"That's for the clubs to do" we have 30 club and what 5 schools around us?? plus club people are all
Volunteers, the comp has plenty of money in the kitty, employ someone on a casual basis to go around the
schools and say "Hey, You have these clubs near you or that club and the clubs can work with them to run clinics, etc.
We need to start getting aggressive or we're dead. We might be dead anyway, Kids and Senior's haven't got time anymore.
Sad ending to what was once a great Comp.
I understand what you are saying, the comp wont die but small clubs may fall over. Back in the 80's my club Heidelberg Colts had 4 senior sides, U/16 AND u/14 teams our neighbors Olympic Youth would have had the same.Thats the equivalent of 8 senior teams and 4 junior sides in the same vicinity. We also had Bellfield West Heidelberg YCW, Heidelberg Soccer, West Ivanhoe, Preston Footballers, Batman united all within walking distance, all with multiple sides, all competing for the same people. The difference now there is far less people playing cricket than there was in the 80's. What is Cricket Australia doing to address that fact, they bombard us with 20/20 cricket, because they are trying to win back a lost public with something that requires less time to watch and is more exciting. They have virtually sold out and given up on the longer forms and we are going to see that filter down to park cricket as well. What can you do? Keep attacking local schools, Milo in2cricket. Add enticements for people to join your club even just as a social member. If you sit on your hands and do nothing you will die.I dont think it is necessary for the competition to promote the clubs but I believe they should be doing more to promote the competition which in turn will promote the clubs. Most people you talk to dont know the North Metro C.A exists, they dont promote themselves at all. They should advertise in the local papers encouraging more people to play cricket and direct them to sides that are local to them. Thats what we plan on doing, luckily my background is in Printing and design and will be getting our message out there for all to see. You can only have a red hot go, if we are still found wanting at least we had a crack.

Really enjoying your passion, Coltery. I know a few blokes who play at the stable, and they have been absolutely effusive in their praise of the changes that have been made to the club over the past few years.

The numbers being bandied about for players is, I think, surely wrong? No way Powick has been offered $20k by Heidelberg (assuming he's the unnamed youngster mentioned earlier in the thread) whilst blokes like O'Connor, AJ, Samps, even Lasith, are getting about half that. Dave Plumpton was probably getting around $20k, and he (bats, bowls and fields superbly) was the absolute top of the tree when it comes to park cricket, especially seeing as he'd have played D1's that whole time if he'd chosen to stay with FD 10 or 11 years ago.

Really enjoying your passion, Coltery. I know a few blokes who play at the stable, and they have been absolutely effusive in their praise of the changes that have been made to the club over the past few years.

The numbers being bandied about for players is, I think, surely wrong? No way Powick has been offered $20k by Heidelberg (assuming he's the unnamed youngster mentioned earlier in the thread) whilst blokes like O'Connor, AJ, Samps, even Lasith, are getting about half that. Dave Plumpton was probably getting around $20k, and he (bats, bowls and fields superbly) was the absolute top of the tree when it comes to park cricket, especially seeing as he'd have played D1's that whole time if he'd chosen to stay with FD 10 or 11 years ago.
Thanks Mate, more changes to come as well. it is hard to believe any cricketer playing Park cricket is on 10k let alone 20k. For most of us it is a past time but for any club forking out this kind of money to one or more players it has to become a business. In business you are paid for goods or a service, my question is what service does a bloke playing park cricket provide that is worth 10K, it is not as though people pay to watch like Test Cricket or even Northern Footy league. The income to pay these blokes is really not there unless they have wealthy benefactors footing the bill, and I guess some A Grade sides have that.

Wealthy benefactor where do we find them? 10k for 1 player turn it up. There isn't a player in our comp worth anywhere near that figure any club willing to pay such an amount deserves to go broke

Wealthy benefactor where do we find them? 10k for 1 player turn it up. There isn't a player in our comp worth anywhere near that figure any club willing to pay such an amount deserves to go broke
Only responding to a post mate, I agree I cant see anyone getting paid 10k. As for wealthy benefactors, there is one club that has a bit of cash to throw around and have won many flags in the past. But that may be all hearsay, I wouldn't have a clue and dont really care. All you can do is look after your own backyard. If someone was getting 10k season how would the coach and remainder of players feel, its not a healthy scenario. This grade of cricket, incentives for performance should be enough, if you can catch a big fish maybe a sign on fee and then incentives. I know of District cricketers not getting paid and putting in a lot more time and effort than North Metro players. I dont think 10k stands up, money gets bandied around a lot. This is a local cricket page, if you want to talk money you should be looking on the financial pages, I could care less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back