Not being rated as a bowler

ZacDuggan

Not being rated as a bowler

I am predominantly a bowler, but in games, my captain never (well hardly ever) puts me on to bowl. We have played 5 games, and I have bowled only 4 overs, and that was in one game, where i was very unlucky not to have 2 wickets because of dropped catches.

In practice i consistently bowl well, and at the training before the previous game, picked up 5 batsmen, including him twice. He prefers to put himself on, even though he's rubbish, and other "all rounders" that cant bowl at all. I even picked up a few more wickets and swung the ball consistently on thursday training. What can I do to get a bowl???

Re: Not being rated as a bowler

I'm going to guess that this is age group cricket rather than senior?

If so, you need to chat to the coach. Pose the question you have above but asking 'What do I have to do to prove myself as a bowler?'. Explain that you don't always feel like you great a fair chance to demonstrate your skills and see what the reply is.

Same thing applies but it can be trickier to approach. If you have a coach then ask if not then you may have to talk to the captain direct. Ask for a chance to prove yourself and see how it goes. Keep working hard in nets and when you do get the opportunity try to make the most of it (save for dropped catches etc).

Hopefully you'll get on and bag a few. If your captain is decent then he'll listen at the very least and explain why he takes the action he does.

Back