ODI and twenty20 shirt numbers

ODI and twenty20 shirt numbers

Cricket, like probably every sport, has seen some revolutionary things which have changed the game forever. One-day cricket and twenty20 are 2 perfect examples and 2 things which were some of the best things to have happened in cricket, as it has attracted new people to the game. Another thing which was an excellent thing to have happened was introducing numbers on the back of players shirts, making it easier for the spectators to locate players and to distinguish them. As a sports lover in general, I take interest in what numbers players wear, yet cricket is 1 of the few sports where it's difficult to locate the players shirt numbers. From looking at cricinfo.com.au, I've only found what numbers England and Australia wear. Here is the list (note some names mentioned have not yet officially retired from cricket, so they are on this list)
Australia

4. Jason Gillespie
5. Phil Jaques
6. Dan Cullen
7. Cameron White
8. Stuart Clark
13. Simon Katich
14. Ricky Ponting
16. Michael Kasprowicz
17. Brad Hodge
18. Adam Gilchrist
22. Ashley Noffke
23. Michael Clarke
25. Mitchell Johnson
26. Martin Love
27. Matthew Elliott
28. Matthew Hayden
31. Brad Hogg
33. Shane Watson
34. Andy Bichel
36. Michael Di Venuto
39. James Hopes
43. Nathan Hauritz
45. Stuart MacGill
48. Mike Hussey
57. Brad Haddin
58. Brett Lee
59. Nathan Bracken
63. Andrew Symonds

Re: ODI and twenty20 shirt numbers

Well I can't fit the Aussie side and the England side in the same post, so here is a seperate list for the England side
2 - Shaun Udal
3 - Owais Shah
4 - Jonathan Trott
5 - Paul Collingwood
6 - not in use
7 - Ian Bell
8 - Darren Gough
9 - James Anderson
10 - Geraint Jones
11 - Andrew Flintoff
12 - Alex Loudon
13 - Matt Prior
14 - Andrew Strauss
15 - Glen Chapple
16 - James Kirtley
17 - Liam Plunkett
18 - Jonathan Lewis
19 - Sajid Mahmood
20 - Rikki Clarke
21 - Ben Hollioake
22 - Matthew Hoggard
23 - Marcus Trescothick
24 - Kevin Pietersen
25 - Simon Jones
26 - Alastair Cook
27 - Kabir Ali
29 - Ashley Giles
30 - Anthony McGrath
31 - Tim Bresnan
32 - Dimitri Mascarenhas
33 - Chris Tremlett
34 - Jamie Dalrymple
35 - Robert Key
36 - Ed Joyce
37 - Ian Blackwell
38 - Vikram Solanki
39 - Stuart Broad
40 - Michael Yardy
41 - Gareth Batty
42 - Ravi Bopara
43 - Steve Davies
44 - Tom Smith
45 - Alex Tudor
46 - Monty Panesar
47 - Paul Nixon
48 - Mal Loye
49 - Michael Carberry
52 - Phil Mustard
61 - Richard Johnson
62 - Will Jefferson
66 - Graeme Swann
78 - Ryan Sidebottom
90 - Graham Onions
95 - Adil Rashid
98 - Chris Read
99 - Michael Vaughan
Here's also a list of West Indies shirt numbers
Brian Lara 9
Chris Gayle 45
Sewnarine Chattergoon 65
Runako Morton 37
Ramnaresh Sarwan 53
Shivnarine Chanderpaul 6
Marlon Samuels 52
Dwayne Bravo 47
Dwayne Smith 50
Denesh Ramdin 80
Corey Collymore 32
Fidel Edwards 20
Jerome Taylor 75
Dave Mohammed 31
If anyone has a list of shirt numbers for any other sides, post it here. Cheers;)

this sort of thing is a bit hard isn't it?

don't people wear different numbers and people have worn the same number over time? or am i missing the point of this thread? sorry if i am

Roger Twose wore 87 against the Aussies, didn't work though.

aussieman;206364 said:
this sort of thing is a bit hard isn't it?

don't people wear different numbers and people have worn the same number over time? or am i missing the point of this thread? sorry if i am

To answer your question aussieman, I started this thread in the hope that a few people would know the international team's numbers. Yes, players have swapped to different numbers here and there, like Harbhajan Singh, he's worn at least 4 different numbers and they've gone up from no.3, 35, 66 and now 89. But usually players will stick to the number they've been given, players sometimes swap numbers in the AFL too but not so frequently and in the AFL, players would like a low number! But in cricket there are a heap of numbers that can be worn. For example, the no.5 for South Africa has been retired in honour of Hansie Cronje, but Ashwell Prince wears 5+0 on his number, which could mean he's the unofficial no.5 for South Africa. Why doesn't he wear put an 0 in the front like the Sri Lankans do?
And yeah it beats me why the cricinfo site has posted Ben Hollioake as a player, at the time I thought it was his brother that was the 1 that sadly passed away. Has the no.21 for Engalnd been retired?

Tendulkar used to wear 99 I think for superstition purposes, he's back wearing number ten now.

We should try and create a list of all the numbers worn by international players.

Good point ljp, it would be good to do some research to find out their numbers. Can someone tell me why some Indian players like Sehwag, Tiwary and I.Sharma aren't wearing numbers? (the fact that the last 2 haven't played that much is hardly an excuse). One wonders whether the guys who supposedly run international cricket, the ICC, even have the guts to force India to do a really small thing.:eek:

Another player who changed his number because he was superstitious was Jason Gillespie. He's superstitious about the no.13, but was given what he thought was a dreaded number and didn't change until Paul Reiffel retired in about 2000 and he took the no.4 that was vacated by Reiffel. Because Dizzy hasn't officially retired, you can say he's still the owner of that number today. Perhaps this is an example of a player who wanted a low number. no.1 and 2 haven't been worn by an Australian since 1997 (Taylor and Slater).

Back