ODI XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

Fast bowling has to be rotated now. Tait was set to come in for Siddle today, but they decided to play McKay and Harris as well so he wasn't needed.

Which means the bowling stocks are:
Johnson
Lee
Bracken
Bollinger
Siddle
Harris
McKay
Tait
Hilfenhaus

Plus whoever else comes to the party.

These are all fine bowlers and all capable of holding a spot. Thefore I think that they should be rotated through and everyone should be rested periodically and depending on the ground played at. Going to be tricky, but none of them deserve dropping and none of them deserve to not play. Time will tell against some more influencial teams.

I dont think Tait was ever in with much chance of playing, he played yesterday so given his history and shit record, was probably just called up in case of another last minute injury

I did see one justification of selecting Tait was he was the easiest to call up as the other states were in Shield games so no use taking players out when highly unlikely to play

eddiesmith;386728 said:
I dont think Tait was ever in with much chance of playing, he played yesterday so given his history and shit record, was probably just called up in case of another last minute injury

I did see one justification of selecting Tait was he was the easiest to call up as the other states were in Shield games so no use taking players out when highly unlikely to play

I think he was called up to tell him he isn't out of the race. He ha been bowling well lately and does not have a bad record at all when it comes to ODIs.

Strike bowlers are what is needed at the moment for the side.

Bowling well lately? Well yeah he bowled well in 3 T20 matches, got smashed in the last couple and has had a shocking FRC season, although NSW helped him bring down his average slightly, still over 40 with an E/R over 6, not sure Australia really need him and doesnt seem capable of bowling more than 1 good spell

Boris;386727 said:
Which means the bowling stocks are:
Johnson
Lee
Bracken
Bollinger
Siddle
Harris
McKay
Tait
Hilfenhaus

Plus whoever else comes to the party.

These are all fine bowlers and all capable of holding a spot. Thefore I think that they should be rotated through and everyone should be rested periodically and depending on the ground played at. Going to be tricky, but none of them deserve dropping and none of them deserve to not play. Time will tell against some more influencial teams.

My oh my, you've changed your tune! What brought this about?

Surely you're not dining on humble pie or your hat up there mate?

By the way, that list looks suspciously like it's in order of favourites.;)

a for effort;386749 said:
Victorians and their persecution complexes...

Every state has their thing. You have shit water, we have persecution complexes.:D

The Ox;386755 said:
Every state has their thing. You have shit water, we have persecution complexes.:D

You've also stolen our 'bizarre homicides' crown in the last few days.

Not sure what Voges did to score a game tonight. Surely Klinger, D.Hussey, Carseldine, S.Smith, or Warner would all be more deserving of a game based on form + record.

Definately not Warner, I think Carseldine has missed his chance and despite scoring a ton in his last ODI, Dussey has been dumped for good

As for the other 2, Voges has travelled with the team all series so they probably would have preferred Steve Smith to be playing matches, continuing his development there and he really isnt ready, would be more of a contender for Hopes spot anyway where you dont have to be good at anything just better than a no11 at batting and just above part timer quality bowling

As for Klinger, hard to say if he is in the selectors thoughts at all, they havent given any indication they rate him at all after just a season and a half of good form following about 7 years of rubbish

But I do agree that its hard to see how Voges is there other than maybe a lack of real other options, Bailey is one I might consider

Sober Symonds;386746 said:

Just because he likes them in the coloured format doesn't mean he thinks they shouldn't be dropped from test level.

Siddle and McKay are proving to be pretty good at the OD format (especially McKay).

breeno;386806 said:
Just because he likes them in the coloured format doesn't mean he thinks they shouldn't be dropped from test level.

Siddle and McKay are proving to be pretty good at the OD format (especially McKay).
Racism!

:p

Caesar;386814 said:
Peter+Siddle+Portrait+Session+4fwbM8nLdSil.jpg

:p

Sober Symonds;386746 said:

For a start it's not in a list of favourites, just who I thought of at the time, might be a resemblance though :D

Pakistan hasn't a very good batting line up at all, so it's a little hard to judge them at this time, I think Ponting would have been able to get a wicket if he was bowling so it's a little early to say they are superstars, but the fact of the matter is almost all of them (that played) (bar Siddle coincidentally, averaging 39 with a SR 20 points above 3 others) have bowled well against Pakistan so all deserve more games.

Then there are Lee and Bracken who are arguably in the World XI for this decade, Hilfenhaus who perhaps we won't see again in coloured clothes but did aright in a couple of matches from memory, and Tait who was half the reason Australia won the last World Cup and has that X Factor with speed that you just can't duplicate. They all are good enough to get games, and with the amount of ODIs playing today, might as well all give them one.

Tricky system to work out (as in would you 'drop' McKay now to rest him after doing well, and possibly on a roll?), but possible and I think it's the right path to take.

breeno;386806 said:

Strange that you bring this up. I think Siddle is mediocre at best in ODIs, but apparently he has proved selected by default for the colours. Siddle is a Test bowler. Whether or not I like him as a Test bowler remains to be seen. Would definitely not have him in my ODI team. I will possibly announce my liking of Siddle, but as of yet he has done nothing to make me like him in any form.

McKay, though, in my eyes, is the other way around. Would have him in my ODI side, but not near the Test side.

I don't know much about either player domestically, but judging on their styles and cricket brains so far (although that is implying Siddle has a brain to start with :p) I would have them in those forms each.

Clint McKay can be handy in the test format as your stock bowler if you ever wanted an all out pace attack or had an attacking spinner. He can bowl plenty of long spells and has a good line and length so doesnt get hit for many runs.

He does well for Victoria because we have such a strong attack, may struggle in the current Aussie test side though

eddiesmith;386906 said:
Clint McKay can be handy in the test format as your stock bowler if you ever wanted an all out pace attack or had an attacking spinner. He can bowl plenty of long spells and has a good line and length so doesnt get hit for many runs.

He does well for Victoria because we have such a strong attack, may struggle in the current Aussie test side though

Agree there, I think he would average a modest 30 at a good economy rate, so not too many wickets but isn't expensive. He isn't fast and jogs to the crease and looks pretty fit so extended spells are an option.

I would put him as a back up bowler, but not as a front line one.

Also his action worries me, don't like the look of it.

He has increased the pace of it in the last 12 months so he now bowls around 140 so that could be the reason it looks odd, but I'm not one to notice much about bowlers actions

eddiesmith;386922 said:
He has increased the pace of it in the last 12 months so he now bowls around 140 so that could be the reason it looks odd, but I'm not one to notice much about bowlers actions

He looks ungainly and puts more effort into the action than what comes out, he was often bowling 130 at most during the season and seemed to put as much energy in as Johnson did for his 150km/h ones.

He has probably had his action analysed and corrected though, so I'm not one to go making critical comments.

Probably his height and limbs flapping in the breeze.

Back