ODI XI Selection Thread

Re: Australian ODI XI - Selection Thread

eddiesmith;386771 said:
Definately not Warner, I think Carseldine has missed his chance and despite scoring a ton in his last ODI, Dussey has been dumped for good

As for Klinger, hard to say if he is in the selectors thoughts at all, they havent given any indication they rate him at all after just a season and a half of good form following about 7 years of rubbish

But I do agree that its hard to see how Voges is there other than maybe a lack of real other options, Bailey is one I might consider

I tend to agree about Voges. He seems to keep finding his way back into the side despite not racking up the volume of runs others have. In fact, he has been poor this season.

There are other real options. We could look at the leading scorers in our domestic One-Day comp (yes, there's a name once again standing out above the others but we're not allowed to mention him!). Klinger & Bailey have been outstanding, and deserve any opportunities which come there way at present.

Boris;386903 said:
... the fact of the matter is almost all of them (that played) (bar Siddle coincidentally, averaging 39 with a SR 20 points above 3 others) have bowled well against Pakistan so all deserve more games.

Strange that you bring this up. I think Siddle is mediocre at best in ODIs, but apparently he has proved selected by default for the colours. Siddle is a Test bowler. Whether or not I like him as a Test bowler remains to be seen. Would definitely not have him in my ODI team. I will possibly announce my liking of Siddle, but as of yet he has done nothing to make me like him in any form.

I don't know much about either player domestically, but judging on their styles and cricket brains so far (although that is implying Siddle has a brain to start with :p) I would have them in those forms each.

I can't keep up with your stance on Siddle. I know you don't rate him, however you earlier conceded he was bowling well and deserves his spot. Now you're muddying the waters once more.
Let me state that I'm not for a moment saying he is in our best ODI line-up.

Sober Symonds;387139 said:
There are other real options. We could look at the leading scorers in our domestic One-Day comp (yes, there's a name once again standing out above the others but we're not allowed to mention him!)

It really is insane, its almost like he was set up to fail by having 1 full series in the 1 country in the world he cannot buy a run in as seen by his constant failures in anything played in that country, but yeah we arent allowed to talk about that ;) Maybe he should get his own forum

Sober Symonds;387139 said:
I can't keep up with your stance on Siddle. I know you don't rate him, however you earlier conceded he was bowling well and deserves his spot. Now you're muddying the waters once more.
Let me state that I'm not for a moment saying he is in our best ODI line-up.

Siddle, you have to admit, has been affected by his injury (hmm more than Lee already? Strange that :D) or an ineptitude is catching up to him. He has not looked good at all this entire summer. He had, what I would call, 4 collective games all up (Test and ODI) that were good, and the rest were average.

Saying this, though, his records before weren't quite enough to drop him. This suggests that he should be in the ODI side, but not in the First XI. For mine he would be Second XI, but with the rotation system I have spoken about, he would be playing ODIs with the rest of them regularly.

Just on a side note, it was made pretty clear that Hodge can be spoken about in the Australian Board, and if he has anything to do with the very current ODI cricket being played and has something to do with selection (which is why this is the ODI selection thread) there's not use in holding back.
For mine, he doesn't have a spot. Nowhere to put him. Batting is solid and immovable IMO.

Fact is with his injury problems he never should have been playing in the ODIs

eddiesmith;387243 said:
Fact is with his injury problems he never should have been playing in the ODIs

If he did that, though, we would see another case of not seeing him again for a very long time after finding out his spot was taken by someone else, like a McKay/Bollinger/Harris.

Not likely, you said yourself that Harris isnt a good fit for the test side and McKay wasnt impressive enough in his only test, yet now he gives one of them a full test series to keep him out, whilst if he was back taking wickets for Victoria on a lighter program then ODI performances probably wouldnt see one of those jump him.

If they do well in NZ then he may be gone for a while with Hilfy also to come back in England

eddiesmith;387257 said:
Not likely, you said yourself that Harris isnt a good fit for the test side and McKay wasnt impressive enough in his only test, yet now he gives one of them a full test series to keep him out, whilst if he was back taking wickets for Victoria on a lighter program then ODI performances probably wouldnt see one of those jump him.

If they do well in NZ then he may be gone for a while with Hilfy also to come back in England

So you don't think that Bollinger, McKay, Harris and Johnson have all ousted him of a position already? Honestly I can't see Siddle in a First XI line up against all of them. If he didn't play at all I don't think he would be a hope of playing without someone losing form or being injured themselves. Look at Hilfy, he may have just permanently lost his spot in ODI cricket because of his injury this summer. I can't see him coming back in for a while yet either.

Test cricket has nothing to do with this, but for the record Harris is just unfit, if he was going well enough he is in contention for the Test side, and so is McKay but he hasn't impressed me domestically in the long format, only in the short one, and his try at Tests wasn't the greatest. This isn't for this thread though.

Oh in ODIs, yeah he would lose a 1st XI spot, but given the injuries he would get more chances on overseas tours, however I dont think he has the fitness base to sustain a full international schedule in all 3 forms and should never be selected in home one day series

I honestly can't see him coming back for a little while to the ODI team. Never was outstanding anyway, he's not an ODI bowler.

Boris;387259 said:
So you don't think that Bollinger, McKay, Harris and Johnson have all ousted him of a position already? Honestly I can't see Siddle in a First XI line up against all of them. If he didn't play at all I don't think he would be a hope of playing without someone losing form or being injured themselves. Look at Hilfy, he may have just permanently lost his spot in ODI cricket because of his injury this summer. I can't see him coming back in for a while yet either.

Test cricket has nothing to do with this, but for the record Harris is just unfit, if he was going well enough he is in contention for the Test side, and so is McKay but he hasn't impressed me domestically in the long format, only in the short one, and his try at Tests wasn't the greatest. This isn't for this thread though.

His had one test, McKay looks like a useful bowler to me. Im all for him taking Siddle's spot in the test team.

OK this thread has been dead for quite a while, time to get some life back into it with some 50 over cricket on the way soon.

Australia take on India after their makeshift Test series in later October with three ODIs, then it's the Ashes, then seven against England and five against Sri Lanka at home (really looking forward to that one) before the two month long World Cup kicks off on the subcontinent. Holding the World Cup on the dead subcontinent pitches is definitely not a good way to ensure good, exciting cricket in what could be the last World Cup as we know it.

Australian domestic sides take on the stupid new kiddie style split-innings 45 over cricket this season so not much help from that. The only real way to determine true form is the Australia A series sometime soon (against Sri Lanka?) and the aforementioned series before the WC.

Australia is a long way from being ready for the World Cup too. I have a few questions to raise.

1. Siddle. He's coming back this series coming against India. Should he be included in the ODI squad, and if so whose spot should he take?

2. Shaun Marsh/James Hopes. I really like both of these guys, and both for very different reasons. Problem is, though, they both don't seem to be able to fit into the one team. Which one, both or neither would you want in the team?

3. White. I like him too, but he doesn't seem to fit in. He plays some good innings, but not consistently. He also has a terrible technique and I see him get out in a lot of stupid ways. Should he be in the side?

4. Voges. What's he doing there? Good domestic player, but really?

5. Steve Smith. He seems alright at this stage, not really sure what he can do. Hauritz definitely still has it over him at the moment IMO. Would you have him in the team, either as replacement to Hauritz or as a second spinner/all rounder?

6. Tait. Love watching him bowl, but can he handle the rigours of the longer stuff?

And finally,

7. What's your side (with a couple of replacements for the rotational scheme they seem to have)?

Mine is:
1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Haddin
7. Hopes
8. Hauritz
9. Johnson
10. Harris
11. Bollinger

* White will probably play regardless, but he rotates in for Marsh/Hopes dependant on form
* Tait waiting to pick up for an injury, lack of form or rotation
* Hazlewood to have a crack somewhere along the line
* Haddin/Hopes moves to opening if Marsh is moved. Marsh has also proved very handy at 6 in the past as well, though.

Boris;409046 said:
Mine is:
1. Watson
2. Marsh
3. Ponting
4. Clarke
5. Hussey
6. Haddin
7. Hopes
8. Hauritz
9. Johnson
10. Harris
11. Bollinger

* White will probably play regardless, but he rotates in for Marsh/Hopes dependant on form
* Tait waiting to pick up for an injury, lack of form or rotation
* Hazlewood to have a crack somewhere along the line
* Haddin/Hopes moves to opening if Marsh is moved. Marsh has also proved very handy at 6 in the past as well, though.

Probably the same for me, except I'd probably have Tait over Johnson as Harris can bat and he can also take some of the strain in the last overs of the match, Johnson can't be bowled then at all.

White is in a funny position for me. His ability to really hit out regularly seems to have deserted him as he has changed into playing with a more straight bat. He still does it but not very often. I think he is trying desperately to make himself in to a test player, but I don't think he'll ever be one or be seen as one again. Almost any young batsman from NSW gets chosen over him already for the squad places.

He's been poor for Bangalore in the Champions League, appears to be playing tip and run a lot of the time in 20/20. I'll blame too much time spent batting with Michael Clarke in the ODI team for that.

I haven't blamed Clarkey for anything for ages, so I might as well get in some pre-Ashes moans.:D

Beeswax;409102 said:
Probably the same for me, except I'd probably have Tait over Johnson as Harris can bat and he can also take some of the strain in the last overs of the match, Johnson can't be bowled then at all.

I'm going to be playing Johnson until the end of the Australian summer. He always bowls better at home and I'd like to give him every chance to get back into some respectable form. I also like retaining him because of his ability to not get injured every time he walks onto the field. I think his bad run has been exaggerated a little, it hasn't been that long. But still, only the end of this summer, or part way through it if he loses the Ashes for Australia, he's got to get his mojo back.

Beeswax;409102 said:
White is in a funny position for me. His ability to really hit out regularly seems to have deserted him as he has changed into playing with a more straight bat. He still does it but not very often. I think he is trying desperately to make himself in to a test player, but I don't think he'll ever be one or be seen as one again. Almost any young batsman from NSW gets chosen over him already for the squad places.

He's been poor for Bangalore in the Champions League, appears to be playing tip and run a lot of the time in 20/20. I'll blame too much time spent batting with Michael Clarke in the ODI team for that.

I haven't blamed Clarkey for anything for ages, so I might as well get in some pre-Ashes moans.:D

I look at White's averages in domestic cricket every year and think "that guy has gotta play in Test/ODI team next year". Then I watch him play and it's like he's a lower order batsman with a good eye, or at least that's what his technique is. I was impressed with his century in England (the Oval I think it was?) and think if he can get his head down a little more and play like that he will be fine, but he can't seem to. The selectors seem to have targeted him for a leadership role, though, so like Clarke he seems to be selected for better of for worse, so I expect him to be playing every ODI until the end of the World Cup.

Clarke for me has been a good ODI player. He's someone that has a reasonably cool head and isn't pushed (although I feel he simply can't lately) to score quickly but seems to anchor things down, which is good as he comes in at 4 quite a lot after a mini collapse. Clarke is always going to be in my ODI side and I don't have much to blame on him :D

What do you think about Tait holding up for 10 overs on more than a couple occasions?

Boris;409104 said:
I'm going to be playing Johnson until the end of the Australian summer. He always bowls better at home and I'd like to give him every chance to get back into some respectable form. I also like retaining him because of his ability to not get injured every time he walks onto the field. I think his bad run has been exaggerated a little, it hasn't been that long. But still, only the end of this summer, or part way through it if he loses the Ashes for Australia, he's got to get his mojo back.

I look at White's averages in domestic cricket every year and think "that guy has gotta play in Test/ODI team next year". Then I watch him play and it's like he's a lower order batsman with a good eye, or at least that's what his technique is. I was impressed with his century in England (the Oval I think it was?) and think if he can get his head down a little more and play like that he will be fine, but he can't seem to. The selectors seem to have targeted him for a leadership role, though, so like Clarke he seems to be selected for better of for worse, so I expect him to be playing every ODI until the end of the World Cup.

Clarke for me has been a good ODI player. He's someone that has a reasonably cool head and isn't pushed (although I feel he simply can't lately) to score quickly but seems to anchor things down, which is good as he comes in at 4 quite a lot after a mini collapse. Clarke is always going to be in my ODI side and I don't have much to blame on him :D

What do you think about Tait holding up for 10 overs on more than a couple occasions?

If Punter uses him in short bursts - 2 or 3 overs at a time - and maybe gives him a game off if ahead in the series (and maybe even if not) then I think he should be in the starting 11.

I'm a biased though as I really enjoy watching him bowl when he is revving up.

Beeswax;409117 said:
If Punter uses him in short bursts - 2 or 3 overs at a time - and maybe gives him a game off if ahead in the series (and maybe even if not) then I think he should be in the starting 11.

Looking at the Warrior schedule, they should probably leave Johnson out of at least the SL one dayers. Otherwise he'll only get one Shield game before the Ashes.

The other match he could get is the tour match against the English team at the Waca in early Nov.

Beeswax;409117 said:

I love watching anybody who can bowl that fast, problem is that he is a real power athlete and can't sustain it. Akhtar is helped by his hyper-mobility, so he can bowl fast all day without really putting the effort in, Lee is helped by his superb technique and fitness, but Tait really has to put in 110% effort to get a ball up to 155+km/h, and in his words he says he can reach the even faster ones only on the odd occasion and only for 2 or 3 balls in his entire spell. He doesn't have the extra things that help him, he really is a very powerful man to be able to get a little ball like that going that fast. Akhtar was able to bowl 155 for his whole 10 overs in an ODI, and having Tait able to reach that for 2 overs at the start is great, should be a couple of wickets, but afterwards he seems to become easy pickings.

I want him in the side at one point though, he's bowling beautifully lately.

Beeswax;409121 said:
Looking at the Warrior schedule, they should probably leave Johnson out of at least the SL one dayers. Otherwise he'll only get one Shield game before the Ashes.

The other match he could get is the tour match against the English team at the Waca in early Nov.

Woops I forgot that Australia were playing Sri Lanka before the Ashes, had a brain fade there.

I'm in two minds about everything there. On one hand I would be leaving out people for unlimited overs practice on the domestic scene, but at the same time I'm wary that there are only 14 matches (plus the 5 matches Australia A has for the second tier players to impress) before the World Cup to get the team fully settled into a winning unit. That might sound like a lot, but two of the series are before the Ashes and the World Cup is only a couple of months later, leaving only 7 ODIs before then. Before you know it it will be upon us and I'm betting there will still be a few spots up for grabs.

What does everyone think of Brett Lee now that he's almost ready for a comeback? His last ODIs were great, what he did in the warm up to the Ashes in England (before he injured himself again) was also really good bowling but his injuries seem to be getting the better of him. I think the selectors will play him because they have shown faith by giving him a CA contract, but should they?

Boris;409146 said:
Woops I forgot that Australia were playing Sri Lanka before the Ashes, had a brain fade there.

I'm in two minds about everything there. On one hand I would be leaving out people for unlimited overs practice on the domestic scene, but at the same time I'm wary that there are only 14 matches (plus the 5 matches Australia A has for the second tier players to impress) before the World Cup to get the team fully settled into a winning unit. That might sound like a lot, but two of the series are before the Ashes and the World Cup is only a couple of months later, leaving only 7 ODIs before then. Before you know it it will be upon us and I'm betting there will still be a few spots up for grabs.

What does everyone think of Brett Lee now that he's almost ready for a comeback? His last ODIs were great, what he did in the warm up to the Ashes in England (before he injured himself again) was also really good bowling but his injuries seem to be getting the better of him. I think the selectors will play him because they have shown faith by giving him a CA contract, but should they?

It depends what their priorities are. They know Johnson well enough, or should, to not have to 'see' him play in all the One Dayers before the Ashes surely? The SL series is only 3 matches and if anyone needs plenty of overs with the redball under his belt before the Ashes, it's Johnson. He needs to get the kinks out of his system and be in some sort of rhythm.

Well , we can hope anyway, who knows with him?

Besides the Warrior quicks are dropping like flies, the fitter they get, the more they get injured it seems.

They'll need him for a couple of games.

Beeswax;409175 said:
It depends what their priorities are. They know Johnson well enough, or should, to not have to 'see' him play in all the One Dayers before the Ashes surely? The SL series is only 3 matches and if anyone needs plenty of overs with the redball under his belt before the Ashes, it's Johnson. He needs to get the kinks out of his system and be in some sort of rhythm.

Well , we can hope anyway, who knows with him?

Besides the Warrior quicks are dropping like flies, the fitter they get, the more they get injured it seems.

They'll need him for a couple of games.

Yep, I see your point. He hasn't waned in form with the limited overs, never really has, so my focus if I were a selector would be to see him improve his red ball bowling.

This rest should be great for all players. Johnson has played practically non-stop for two years now, and every time he has a break he seems to come back better, so that might be part of the problem.

Seeing Umar Gul bowling for Pakistan against England in the series just finished makes me miss Bracken. There are no good death over bowlers in the team, in fact they are all pretty ordinary on all fronts.

Well our hopes to see Tait play are now gone, Tait out for two months after elbow surgery today.

Australian news: Shaun Tait out for two months with elbow injury | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Bad news for everyone but the opposition. He was going very well, has been getting better and better since he began playing again and giving up the long form. He will miss the Indian ODIs and the Sri Lankan series at home, but should be fit by the ODIs after the Ashes against England. Hope he gets a go there to see what he has got.

Boris;409594 said:
Well our hopes to see Tait play are now gone, Tait out for two months after elbow surgery today.

Australian news: Shaun Tait out for two months with elbow injury | Australia Cricket News | Cricinfo.com

Bad news for everyone but the opposition. He was going very well, has been getting better and better since he began playing again and giving up the long form. He will miss the Indian ODIs and the Sri Lankan series at home, but should be fit by the ODIs after the Ashes against England. Hope he gets a go there to see what he has got.

The attack for India is going to be interesting. I don't like having McKay in the ODI team but we are stuck with him in the absence of others.

Back