Off Season Bowling Practise Suggestions

big kev

Hello everyone
So, its is the off season now, and I was wondering how i should practise my bowling.
Well, I used to go to the nets very often, but i wasn't getting consistent improvement, even though i put a target, did no run up practise. So, a few suggestions please?

By the way, my coach suggested a quick 2-3 step run up, which i am using. Also, some days I bowl really well but other days not so well, for some reason. Some days, I feel like I can control the ball and where it is going to land, and other days I have deproved.

Also I was wondering what attitude I should bring to practise and the games. Normally my attitude is to improve, but it doesn't work, and so I spend a lot off time in the nets, as it is next to my house.

Thank you very much.

Hello everyone
So, its is the off season now, and I was wondering how i should practise my bowling.
Well, I used to go to the nets very often, but i wasn't getting consistent improvement, even though i put a target, did no run up practise. So, a few suggestions please?

By the way, my coach suggested a quick 2-3 step run up, which i am using. Also, some days I bowl really well but other days not so well, for some reason. Some days, I feel like I can control the ball and where it is going to land, and other days I have deproved.

Also I was wondering what attitude I should bring to practise and the games. Normally my attitude is to improve, but it doesn't work, and so I spend a lot off time in the nets, as it is next to my house.

Thank you very much.

Good question. This is something I think about a bit. I tend to get a quick 45mins in after work before it gets dark and Im not sure Im utilising my time as well as I could. I have a bad habit of trying to fix everything at once. I have decided to try and do a fair bit of work on my action without the ball. Just trying to do things over and over concentrating on one thing like pushing off with my back leg, and getting my arm high etc
One thing I do when its all going good and coming out nicely is try and bowl one over without any bad balls. Going back and thinking exactly what I want to do with each ball. Its funny because you can be bowling perfectly but when you go back and try and seriously string 6 good deliveries together it is really hard not to bowl one or two bad ones. Also is you have bowled the first 4 good say its surprising how often the last one or two are bad as your trying really hard to make them good. I guess this is trying to put a bit of pressure on myself like in a match situation.

Good question. This is something I think about a bit. I tend to get a quick 45mins in after work before it gets dark and Im not sure Im utilising my time as well as I could. I have a bad habit of trying to fix everything at once. I have decided to try and do a fair bit of work on my action without the ball. Just trying to do things over and over concentrating on one thing like pushing off with my back leg, and getting my arm high etc
One thing I do when its all going good and coming out nicely is try and bowl one over without any bad balls. Going back and thinking exactly what I want to do with each ball. Its funny because you can be bowling perfectly but when you go back and try and seriously string 6 good deliveries together it is really hard not to bowl one or two bad ones. Also is you have bowled the first 4 good say its surprising how often the last one or two are bad as your trying really hard to make them good. I guess this is trying to put a bit of pressure on myself like in a match situation.

That's the old trying to hard and not relaxing conundrum. I find that if I go with too many plans it equates to trying to do too much and I try and head out to look at one aspect of my bowling primarily, but virtually always end up trying address different things on top of the initial planned intention. The other thing is when I go with a plan I do so with too much determination and the therefore the wrong attitude. I find that if I 'Go for a bowl' and head into it with no specific plan, other than to be relaxed and try and bowl with rythym that works better and then I add the goals on during session and they tend to work out better. The other thing I do more and more these days is stop what I'm doing as soon as it starts going wrong and returning to the stand start drill and get my around the basics and then work forward from there. That always seems to re-focus my attention on the need to be focused but relaxed and allows me to then look at the specifics that I'm trying to improve on.

Hello everyone

Thank you very much.

Kev, are you in Australia I take it as you've just finished?

Yes, I'm from Australia. Well I also bowl topspinners, what I think is the normal way. The fingers are across the seam and don't really rip it very hard, palm facing out to the side. The palm position doesn't change from my leg break, as it doesn't need to. My leg break, what I should have said, is a wrist position legbreak. So, if you can imagine, the pace bowler backspins the ball naturally, turn the hand so the seam faces straight to your right. So the spin, which was quite a lot, just comes naturally. This is a bit confusing, isn't it?

Also, when me and my friends stay back after training, and just mess around for a while, I do seem to bowl a lot nicer. But, just how do you reproduce that in real games, or even when you are frustrated in the nets? Or are you supposed to not put any pressure on yourself, ever?

Also, when me and my friends stay back after training, and just mess around for a while, I do seem to bowl a lot nicer. But, just how do you reproduce that in real games, or even when you are frustrated in the nets? Or are you supposed to not put any pressure on yourself, ever?

Yeah you're supposed to practice to the point where you're confident of your abilities and that you don't mind being hit by a good batsman playing a proper shot, if you're bowling well and the batsman is playing well too, it becomes a duel - ball over bat, there's always going to be days when you face a good batsman or on a pitch where the ball doesn't turn. Think Warne and the Indian Test series, as far as I'm aware he never did that well over there, as there's a lot of spinners and they're all conditioned to play spin from a very early age and Warne rarely got the upper hand. You've just got to put the hours in to become a good bowler, so that you're confident with what you do. Not easy as I'm sure you're aware and as Warne says, your captain when you start out and your team have got to give you a lot of love and allow you to develop.

Yeah you're supposed to practice to the point where you're confident of your abilities and that you don't mind being hit by a good batsman playing a proper shot, if you're bowling well and the batsman is playing well too, it becomes a duel - ball over bat, there's always going to be days when you face a good batsman or on a pitch where the ball doesn't turn. Think Warne and the Indian Test series, as far as I'm aware he never did that well over there, as there's a lot of spinners and they're all conditioned to play spin from a very early age and Warne rarely got the upper hand. You've just got to put the hours in to become a good bowler, so that you're confident with what you do. Not easy as I'm sure you're aware and as Warne says, your captain when you start out and your team have got to give you a lot of love and allow you to develop.

Thats it Dave, you just have to put the hours in and get the action to a point where you can rely on it and be confident when the pressure is on in a game.

Back