Off Spin- Shoulder Rotation?

Yusuf

Hi guys,

I have recently taken up offspin after some very tiring years of swing bowling and am really enjoying.

However, I tend to shove the ball down short. People say I am "forcing" the ball rather than "bowling" it.

These words are all well and good but I don't know what they mean!

I think they mean using your shoulders rather than just your arm to bowl the ball.

Can anyone help me with what shoulder rotation actually is and how to work on it?

Thanks
Yusuf

Yusuf, I'll try and help mate, but I'm a leggie, so there may be subtle differences in what we do? For a start - is there any way you can video your bowling and get it uploaded to youtube and I'll have a look at what you're doing, if you upload it and link it to this thread, you may get some better advice or perhaps another offie having a look and giving you some guidance? I take it you're a right armed bowler?

Video would be helpful mate. I've got an image in my head of what I THINK you're doing, but I'd like that to be confirmed. I'll see if I can help you out once you get a few vids up pal!

Dear Yusuf

this is a common probs for the bowler who were initially a PACER. may be u used to hit the deck while doing pace bowling. But during spinning particularly for offies u have to maintain the delivery point much earlier (11 OR 12 O CLOCK) position with slight curved position of your elbow to maintain proper ARCH of your whole arm movement so that u can get good loop of the ball.
need to see ur videos
all the best

Thanks for all the replies!

I played yestreday and actually bowled really well with good flight and spin.

I tried not to force the action at all, don't rush the bowling shoulder through is the key.

ALso getting your front arm really high lets you get through the action without forcing that back shoulder

highesteem1 has really got it right, a little curve in the arm also helps to bowl with a pivot unlike a fast bowler.

I'll try to post a video soon.

I have the same issue- all the different coaches I have gone through keeps saying that I am forcing through and for the past 2 years.

One said that I had a chucking motion but it wasn't until a South African coach who came along and told me that the 'chucking motion' was in fact an illusion. This is because as I raise my front arm in the cartwheel motion, I am still veyr much sitting on my hips and therefore the slow motion of that cartwheel motion is being misunderstood as a stop and start of my bowling arm.

However, a new coach came along and has completely rejuvenated my understanding and experience of bowling spin-rather than worry too much about how to spin your wrists or fingers, more emphasis has been placed on the action of the big muscle groups and the effects / results come naturally. Sometimes I think us bowlers are too obsessed with creating that little bit of magic in hopes for a wicket we forget the basics

Back