Off spin

Dikon

Off spin

I'm considered a batter at my club but i can bowl handy off spin any tips on how i can improve?What sort of lines and lengths should i be bowling?

Re: Off spin

For a start, try to watch clips of Ramesh Powar bowl, he is the perfect example of how to bowl conventional off spin without a flexible wrist or suspect action, he just uses flight and revolutions; both of which anyone can master with practice.

Off spinners tend to bowl at 45-55mph and this is by no means slow. Make sure you get the ball down at a good pace. Flight is to do with the trajectory, not the pace. A flighted slow ball is a good weapon but the two things do not have to be used together.

At club level, off spinners can succeed with line and length and patience. The first XI leading wicket taker at my club does not spin the ball a bit but lets batsmen get themselves out. However, if you can spin the ball, it is a bonus too. Look to vary the pace too, but not every ball, just keep the stock ball, the slow one and the fast one, you don't need much more.

As you probably know, off spin is the most popular method of turning the ball in cricket.

The spin comes from the first and second fingers of the hand - the more rip you can give the ball the more it'll turn.

The middle joints of the index and middle fingers are spread across the seam of the ball, with the third finger being used to stablise the ball. You can ignore the thumb pretty much.

As you get to your release point, you can generate spin by rotating the wrist and index finger clockwise.

For added rip use the first two fingers during the release.

Iam an Offie and I give it a rip every now and again in games. I get wickets every time I bowl but I go for a bit because its limited overs Cricket.

I love it but - because Iam accurate :)

Another thing you could try out, might work, might not.

Hold your quicker ball with a slightly tilted straight seam and rip back on the ball to apply back spin, if you can get your quicker ball to swing, it could be a very unique weapon.

Get your standard (Off-spinner) delivery as good as you can get it.

Then work on variations in speed and, possibly, turn.

Speed is the most important variation, IMO.

SLA is offspin so i guess this counts :p

Played today against our local rivals as a mid-week impulse of a game, and thankfully we had nice crisp watery sunshine to play to!

Exactly what Will said, pace variation counts, at first i was bowling a little too quick which is why i was getting smacked, so i got out of my fustration and got on top of myself and just told myself (I have little conversations with myself :p) that i could do it. So i got smacked for a six straight over my head, with me having to swerve out of the way else my head would have taken a beating. Next ball, i threw up a slower one, he went for the big one, middle stump went on its merry way to the ground. From that moment on i had them playing, missing and ultimately came out with 10-2-43-4, obviously 3 of them where the tail enders :p I love my tails!

Simbazz said:
SLA is offspin so i guess this counts :p

Played today against our local rivals as a mid-week impulse of a game, and thankfully we had nice crisp watery sunshine to play to!

Exactly what Will said, pace variation counts, at first i was bowling a little too quick which is why i was getting smacked, so i got out of my fustration and got on top of myself and just told myself (I have little conversations with myself :p) that i could do it. So i got smacked for a six straight over my head, with me having to swerve out of the way else my head would have taken a beating. Next ball, i threw up a slower one, he went for the big one, middle stump went on its merry way to the ground. From that moment on i had them playing, missing and ultimately came out with 10-2-43-4, obviously 3 of them where the tail enders :p I love my tails!

Bravo Simmo!

When developing your quicker ball, just realise that a top spinner or quicker ball generated entirely from the arm (no change of action) are ideal to the extent of working at international level.

Obviously hopefully your "arm ball," will look exactly like your "stock ball,"

If you dont know what those two types of balls are ask :)

Anyways, mine i tend to get a little taller with my arm to generate a bit more of a downward pace AND ultimately quicker ball, and the position of the ball is vital, depending on conditions, when bowling spin i can get "drift," or "swing," with my quicker one, and trust me, im not being big headed, but a spinner whos arm ball bounces and swings isn't comfortable to bat against!

Manee, tell 'em! :p

just loop em.
and bowl em outside off.
you cant fail.

MarkMiller93 said:
just loop em.
and bowl em outside off.
you cant fail.

Disagree completely. Slow off spin is a perfectly sucessful tactic but you must bowl it on off stump for it to be successful. "You miss, I hit".

In Club Cricket the key is not to bowl short and wide because you will get dealt with. The best thing is too bowl in the area where they cant slog it and then they get annoyed and slog and next thing you know the bails are off the stumps. I bowl not too do "Warne special" but too keep it defensive and make the Batsmen commit his own fate.

Hi guys, my first post on the forum.

I too am primarily a batsmen, whilst being 'able' to bowl when required, and I am a reasonably accurate bowler. I tend to bowl with a flat trajectory, focusing on containing as opposed to looking to take a wicket with every ball.

I need to gain more variation in pace and flight. I bowl the stock off spin delivery, the top spinner and mix this is with the odd leggie for those who are oblivious to the change in wrist position! I am trying to develop a good arm ball (ie, one that actually drifts!) and as a side 'project' trying to attempt the doosra, which I doubt will ever bear fruits, though still!!!

Kallis fan - nice to have you as a member!

I know what you mean about variety in pace and flight, it's something I work on most net sessions and still feel that I could do more. It's coming along though. I do tend to revert to bowling it too flat in matches though, the dreaded slog can drain your confidence at times.

As an off-spinner, it is inevitable at some point you will receive the horizontal batted swipe from an opponent clearly not interested in the finer aspects of the game! It is those that have the state of mind to not be 'put off' by this that deserve a lot of credit, as the natural reaction is bowl flatter and quicker.

Having had a read through the whole thread, I agree totally with the person who made reference to Powar as an example to watch. Him and Kallis are two of players that I love to watch.

kallis fan said:
As an off-spinner, it is inevitable at some point you will receive the horizontal batted swipe from an opponent clearly not interested in the finer aspects of the game! It is those that have the state of mind to not be 'put off' by this that deserve a lot of credit, as the natural reaction is bowl flatter and quicker.

That's a good point but somedays it's all too easy to let the head drop and revert to the flat stuff. I'm getting better though, which has been helped by a new captain who knows the game well and is great at field placement.

kallis fan said:
Having had a read through the whole thread, I agree totally with the person who made reference to Powar as an example to watch. Him and Kallis are two of players that I love to watch.

Power is pretty good to watch, especially as there is no dodgy action or extreme wrist movement (much like manee points out).

kallis fan said:
Hi guys, my first post on the forum.

I too am primarily a batsmen, whilst being 'able' to bowl when required, and I am a reasonably accurate bowler. I tend to bowl with a flat trajectory, focusing on containing as opposed to looking to take a wicket with every ball.

I need to gain more variation in pace and flight. I bowl the stock off spin delivery, the top spinner and mix this is with the odd leggie for those who are oblivious to the change in wrist position! I am trying to develop a good arm ball (ie, one that actually drifts!) and as a side 'project' trying to attempt the doosra, which I doubt will ever bear fruits, though still!!!

Its difficult to master the Doosra, i've been trying it for a good few years (Im a SLA and a chinamen) and even though i can use it in games, im still not confident.

A good arm ball consists of decieving the batsmen into not seeing it, it may sound stupid but a good player to watch (although left handed) is Ian Blackwell, his arm ball is very good, it drifts slightly and he has had success with it.

I can't give much help with your doosra, except saying that you need to work on ing your wrist without a ball, before using a ball.

Lastly, welcome to simplyCricket, enjoy your time here!

Yep, I doubt I will ever 'master' the doosra in the true sense of the word, however the prospect of having the ball in my armoury excites me greatly!

The furthest I've progressed to was at the back end of last season, when I bowled the doosra off 21 yards, on a reasonable line and getting a decent amount of turn. Unfortunately I haven't been able to maintain this on a regular basis, and also I have been struggling to keep the flight similar to that of my stock delivery.

With regards arm balls, that is my no. 1 priority over the winter. Do you have an advice with regards grip, arm height etc....?

Thanks.

Personally, i have a similar grip to my stock ball. I just let it come out of the hand straighter, and dont twist my shoulder as much. I have a knack being able to twist the ball (seam) into a position which likens to that that a seamer would use, keeping the seam up, encouraging drift.

Drift only occurs if you push the ball, dont let it float out, really push it out, and make the gravity/wind or whatever it is that makes it move in mid-air take effect.

Thanks for the advice. I'm really going to make a conscious effort to become a more penetrating bowler. Whilst I can see the role that bowlers who prioritise line and length over spin do, I feel that to become a fully recognised bowler I'll need to have the ability to take wickets and bowl wicket taking balls. I feel that if I am able to be recognised as a bowler, then it will relieve some pressure on my batting in the hope that it will then flourish.

I aim to generate more revs, bowl with better loop and build up some variations. I feel at the moment whilst being miserly and consistent, I need to 'get the batsmen out' as opposed to relying on them to 'get themselves out'.

Back