Off spin

Re: Off spin

It may have been mentioned already, but try and have your arm come almost over the top of your head. This will assist with flight, drop and spin. It may feel funny to start with, but it will help.

To be quite honest, I'm happy with how my bowling is progressing. I'm bowling with a decent seam position and generating a bit of turn on unhelpful indoor surfaces.

The balls that I offer are.....

Conventional offie
Ball that goes straight on (A top spinner of sorts without the 'kick')
A ball where I roll my fingers across the seam to take it from leg-to-off

Really and truly an arm ball needs to be developed and hopefully before the start of the season too.

I have a secret weapon that may be of use at some stage.....not confident in it at the moment but will persevere...... ;)

I have my own sort of doosra. Its a ball that skids on and is the easiest thing to bowl, but it depends on how you hold the ball

Yay i took a hattrick bowling offspinners today!!!!!! A quick one, bowled him, a doosra, also bowled him, and a slow flighted one, caught in close. The only trouble...it was at training :cry. Oh well at least all my variations are coming out of the hand quite nicely

many of the people bowl with the seam but i recommend that you bowl with cross seam that gives much more spin.Just try it !

Would you be prepared to expand on what you have said above? It's just I'm not altogether sure as to the point you are making, that is all........

But macaroon i think that bowling with the seam has many advantages

Firstly, when you hit the seam, it allows the ball to grip and turn and bounce

And secondly by bowling with the seam and the seam position is good after release it is possible to create drift

Yeah, i agree with WBK, and its easier to control flight holding cross seam, and if i didnt hold it cross seam i wouldnt be able to bowl my doosra

jimmy you are right.for the doosra you have to hold the bowl in a cross seam position.the cross seam helps in a lot of ways like the seam position.but you can trick the batsmen with the cross seam position.everyone
know that the doosra is very useful and for that the cross seam is neccesary

and its your choice if you want to use the cross seam but for the doosra you have to hold the cross seam.
you can do it like this :
first bowl some deliveries with the seam and make the ball drift.
then after some time bowl with the cross seam.i am sure that then you will be able to make much more wickets than you do without the cross seam

well ill give it a go in the nets, see how it works out for me, im trying to build up an armoury of variations so ill keep it in mind. And its best to take the advice form those that know best :p

Yesssssss! Decided to use Off spin in my game today. Ended up with figures something like 3-0-5-1. The one wicket was Caught and Bowled. Nicely flighted and the batsmen middled it straight back at my head and i just stuck my hand up in time

Thats the plan Liz :laugh:

And one thing, just so i dont need to create another topic, and it does relate to off spin

Since ive started to practise it (2 months) ive gotten a pain in my spinning finger, on the right hand side of it. Is this a tendon problem or something else?

Hi guys this is my first post and im quite new to offspin bowling. I have a question that i would like to ask
I use the standard offie grip but instead of using the index finger and middle finger to rip the ball to get it to spin, i use my thumb to spin the ball as well. i achieved this by placing my thumb right under the ball and when i rotate my wrist, my thumb ,index finger and middle finger generate the spin.
Is this an ok way to spin the ball? Or should i stick with using the standard index and middle finger to spin the ball.

I personally think its all about what is comfortable and what works. If you have good control and turn with your grip then keep it, only change if it is causing problems. My grip isnt what the standard grip, but i like it. I mostly put my middle finger on the stitching rather than the seam

Well you know that it is just an outswinger. So bowl it seam up with your normal action, with the shine on the inside.

Back