off spin

elliotbrailey

off spin

i have just started trying to bowl spin and have chosen off spin as it is easier to master or at least use.
I am wondering if there is a better way of getting the ball to spin as it doesn't always spin when I bowl.
Also what kind of length and position should I be placing it. I am trying to become the second spin bowler for my school team and need some help. :)

Re: off spin

Welcome to the board!

Firstly, the art of spin can be a hard one to master but don't be put off. It'll take practice and hard work but once you get it, it's a great feeling.

As you have just started I would recommend just concentrating on the basics, getting the right grip, action and used to bowling. The BBC has a nice little section on the basics and is well worth a read.

Also, some youtube videos to have a look at:

[ame="http://youtube.com/watch?v=2wjL55tXnfw&feature=related"]YouTube - Off Spin Bowling Pics[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Si48Ch1EbRQ&NR=1"]YouTube - Cloverdale Cricket Masterclass spin bowling tips 2[/ame]

As for the line and length, well that will depend slightly on the situation. The key to spin bowling (of all kinds) is to be able to have subtle tweaks and variations in length, line and flight.

For the standard odd break then you want to pitching outside the off stump, aiming to hit middle. Length should be encouraging the batsman to drive, so pitching around a good stride from their popping crease.

hey there. i found with off spin bowling the bowling action and follow thru is very important check out how the top guys bowl and check out their action :)

as mentioned above flight and pace are the your weapons :)

Good luck matey

One thing I read is that your left foot should point towards (about) leg slip, assuming your right handed. And that the control of the spin should come from your front arm. I find that accuracy is better if you point your non-bowling arm in the direction you want the ball to go.

Back