Off Spinning Variations?

Repl

I'm a 16 year old left arm orthadox bowler, I compete for my senior first XI and in representative sides mainly as a batsman but I am sometimes turned to for a bowl. I've been bowling spin for about 5 years now and I can land the ball in a consistent spot 9/10 times.

I know a lot of the threads on this forum are to do with legspin, but I was hoping that anyone of you blokes could give me some variations? I want my normal off break along with 2 variations to help me on the turf because coming up against some of the best batsman in my state and the best kids in the State Championships just bowling off breaks will make me readable after a few overs.

Thank you.

I'm a 16 year old left arm orthadox bowler, I compete for my senior first XI and in representative sides mainly as a batsman but I am sometimes turned to for a bowl. I've been bowling spin for about 5 years now and I can land the ball in a consistent spot 9/10 times.

I know a lot of the threads on this forum are to do with legspin, but I was hoping that anyone of you blokes could give me some variations? I want my normal off break along with 2 variations to help me on the turf because coming up against some of the best batsman in my state and the best kids in the State Championships just bowling off breaks will make me readable after a few overs.

Thank you.

There's lots of ways to introduce variations, you can work on a slower ball or a quicker ball, you can work on a ball with more backspin or a ball with more topspin, you can work on a ball that turns more than usual, a ball that goes straight, or even a ball that turns in the opposite direction.

That's 7 different ideas to get you started. You don't need all 7, you probably only need 2 or 3 at most. Just have a go bowling to your mate and then in the nets and see what works and what doesn't.

There's lots of ways to introduce variations, you can work on a slower ball or a quicker ball, you can work on a ball with more backspin or a ball with more topspin, you can work on a ball that turns more than usual, a ball that goes straight, or even a ball that turns in the opposite direction.

That's 7 different ideas to get you started. You don't need all 7, you probably only need 2 or 3 at most. Just have a go bowling to your mate and then in the nets and see what works and what doesn't.

Thank you for the information I will definitely try out these deliveries in the nets, I just want 3 deliveries like you said

There is a big case for bowling the same ball putting it in the same place but varying the pace. Most batsmen will struggle to get set and you don't need a double jointed wrist.

Thank you.

If you ask any person who played against / played with Shane Warne (I apologize for using a leggy as an example) and ask them what one of his biggest attributes to success was. Most of them will say the control he had over his vicious spin. You don't need all the variation in the world. If you have them, great. But spending hours on a doosra and getting nowhere isn't improving your stock ball. Variations in pace, angle and flight are pretty basic variations. The more advanced one's would be the doosras, carrom balls etc. Rather just work on your accuracy, ripping the ball square, flight, speed, tactics, and your ready for any batsman. Graeme Swann has had success just by doing that. Why not you?

Back