One for the bowlers

ShaneS

One for the bowlers

Just a quick one to all the bowlers out there. A new batsman walks out to the crease. You're either the bowler who has just got a wicket or you're a bowler fielding at the moment but will be called upon by your captain within the next few overs. What do you look out for i.t.o clues from the batsman for possible strengths or weaknesses. Eg. the guard he takes, stance, initial movement at the crease, grip etc. I've always been intrigued by how the more experienced players have been able to analyse a batsman within the first few minutes of them coming to the crease.

Re: One for the bowlers

I tend to look at everything, from the way they walk to the crease, how they take guard to how they get ready to face the first ball.

From there it often take a few balls to suss out how they like to play, where not to bowl it to them and where their areas of weakness are.

Sometimes it's just a gut feeling other times it's there for all to see, just depends on the batsman etc.

I'll be honest and say that it's a hard thing to do, especially as you tend to come up against the same batsman time after time (assuming you stay with a club for a few years) so you often have their style stored in the back of your mind and you can get lazy due to it.

I look to see if he warms up when coming out, how he acts before he faces.If he's a bit jumpy that means he's nervous.

bowl a few balls outside off to see his footwork. Cause he's new I might be able to get him with a yorker.

But thats the basic's for me. I tend to see different things depending on the situation & batsmen

It all depends what level you play at to see how deep you have to look. You can suss out most batsmen's styles by simply bowling a few balls in the corridor (and either side) and analyse how they play the balls.

Now that i bowl at a better pace than i was last season i'll have more confidence and i'll try and make sure the new batsman knows whos boss. I've developed a decent bouncer in the indoor nets, so if it was me that had taken the previous wicket and had a new batsman at the crease i'd stick him a bouncer in first ball to see how he copes. If he looks uncertain playing that, or even gets hit thats when you try and get the ball full and straight next ball and catch him off guard. If that doesn't work then just try and swing it away from him and see how good their footwork is. Bowling is just a mental game with the batsman, trying to out-think them, get them rattled early and you have a good chance of getting them early.

im the type of bloke that likes to analyse the new batsmen.... look at where he stands... how far out of the crease... his style e.g tonk or drive and how aggressive he is to the stock ball..

i look for his favorite shots and i never bowl balls there.
before i bowl a ball i always notice the batsmen will look at a spot in the field to either see if theres a fielder there then i no thats were he wants to hit nd he never gets it lol

My method is to look at how they carry themselves, on the way and at the wickets. If you ask me its a dead set sign of how good/confident a batsman is. I must say it has never let me down yet

My techniques usually give them a bouncer in the ribs ...if they play it well i don't do it again, if they look scared a catching position comes in v.quickly. if they play the bouncer try it a bit fuller nd keep changin until u find an uneasy region

I'm pretty new to this kind of thing but I really just look at the guard they take and their body language at the crease. The less positive it is, the more likely you can afford to bowl fuller first up.

being a spin bowler i usually flight one up to them to see what they do with their feet, whether or not they are willing to come down the wicket to me

I wouldn't come down teh wicket first ball, I dunno about you, lol.

Yeh, I look at body language but sometimes that isn't everything.

well there was one occasion when i just got a guy out, the next guy came in and first ball came down at me and put it over my head for four, :confused:

Yeah we had a guy who came in at about 140-4 and went 'block, block, block' for the first three balls then launched the next ball miles over the bowlers head and it hit one of the floodlights around the ground!! And the strangest thing was, he went straight back to blocking again afterwards, no indication of why he chose that ball to go berserk. I guess reading body language can only do so much...

thats not something you wanna look at every batsmen will look all over the field he can hit it anywere he can also play across the line
kizza said:
i look for his favorite shots and i never bowl balls there.
before i bowl a ball i always notice the batsmen will look at a spot in the field to either see if theres a fielder there then i no thats were he wants to hit nd he never gets it lol
:cool :cool

Back