overly defensive

overly defensive

I recently converted to an open sided stance and i find im overly defensive as even if theres a bad ball im defending can someone help me? i am like chanderpaul i bat outside my crease and my trigger movement is i go deep back into my crease onto the back foot and then onto the front foot. But if the balls short i can easly hook/pull but i cant play the drives... i just end up defending.

Re: overly defensive

Well for starters you might want to maybe close your stance a bit because chanderpaul's stance is a bit unorthodox. Your stance should be somthing where you can see the ball with both eyes. The front shoulder should be pointing between the bowler & mid-on. And regarding your driving probelem I'd say you dont reach the ball fast enough to play a shot which it sees you play defensively. Instead of going back deep in your crease try going back & across which will enable you to be in line with the ball.

hmmmmm your trigger movement may be a problem aswell.... making a movement back especially a big movement back.. it will make it hard to get on the front foot.... even though your final stage of the trigger movement is to come onto the front foot it may b 2 l8.....

this might b something u wanna look at in the nets

m8 4 starters u say that u move back into ur crease so that u have more time to see the ball .... does this mean that u r not watchin the ball out of the bowlers hand

also as AUSSIE_BOY said ... because u have such a big movement back into ur crease it will then make it hard to play anything off the front foot because all/most of ur weight is on the back foot

if u need a trigger movement in ur stance (i do) ... wat i reccomend u do is jus move from having ur feet on leg stump and as the bowler is in his delivery stride shuffle across ur stumps so that u r now trying to cover most of leg nd middle stump ... dats wat i do, it works 4 me and i am also a short bloke ... im only 5ft 7in

but this is just my opinion

Ripping-LegBreak said:
to give me more time to see the ball

I'd have to see you first but I imagine that would give you less time. It's a whole extra movement to fit in.

You say you are blocking bad balls. Do you relise they are bad and choose nto to hit them or do you defend them then think oh I should have hit that?

Ripping-LegBreak said:
i don't know i can drive tennis balls, windballs, rubber balls but when it comes to the nets i just cant drive
If u can post a video of batting in the nets.
It can be very helpful.
Shoot it from the umpire's end.

Back