Overseas players for your club!

mas cambios

Turn this thread into an area to discuss any overseas players that you may have had, good, bad or the very ugly!

Apologies for that, I didn't have much time this morning so only quickly looked!

How did he perform for you as an overseas?

Almost_Austwick said:
Apologies for that, I didn't have much time this morning so only quickly looked!

How did he perform for you as an overseas?

We've had him for the past 3 seasons, and he has performed with relative success.

As the club I play for are one of the smallest in the surrounding area, we have been relegated, gone back up, and then been relegated once again. Whilst Pro's are key, collectively, responsibility needs to be taken and to not be relient on one player. The general thought within the club that it is the players around him that need to improve, not the pro.

That is a really sensible way of looking at things. Often teams tend to leave it to the pro and one or two others and then wonder why they aren't winning that often.

I think this is drifting into another topic, so may well make a new thread for it.

We are, though it is all loosely related.... ;)

I have quite a high opinion of our Pro, possibly influenced by the fact that he is forever helping me and advising me!!!!!!!

Most of the pros we've had have been great, willing to help out with coaching and getting inolved with the club on many levels.

You get the odd rotten egg but that's life.

You two are lucky, the closest we get to an overseas is if we play the chap from the village next to us! :laugh:

Re: Overseas players for your club!

Our club have got Malinda Warnapura and Omesh Wijiserwardena.

The former is a fine batsman who went from our Division 4 club to top scoring in the Yorkshire Premier League and then to Sri Lanka's team. He was also a sharpish off spinner and very very good slip catcher.

The latter is a very quick bowler and dead rapid for our level. He was rumoured to have once been timed at 88mph and our keepers had to stand 30 yards back and ended with blisters on their hands which meant they had to rotate between matches. His bowling average for us was just 9 but interestingly, Dean Headley in the same league averages 8 whilst just bowling around 70mph and getting it to seam.

Incidentally, just a few months back, Headley scored 180 against us in a 50 over game against our firsts :laugh:

manee said:
Our club have got Malinda Warnapura and Omesh Wijiserwardena.

The former is a fine batsman who went from our Division 4 club to top scoring in the Yorkshire Premier League and then to Sri Lanka's team. He was also a sharpish off spinner and very very good slip catcher.

The latter is a very quick bowler and dead rapid for our level. He was rumoured to have once been timed at 88mph and our keepers had to stand 30 yards back and ended with blisters on their hands which meant they had to rotate between matches. His bowling average for us was just 9 but interestingly, Dean Headley in the same league averages 8 whilst just bowling around 70mph and getting it to seam.

Incidentally, just a few months back, Headley scored 180 against us in a 50 over game against our firsts :laugh:

I didn't realise that Headley could even play any more, thought the injury that ended his career meant he could no longer play, whatever the level. Nice to see that he can still play.

No overseas allowed in out league.Wasim Jaffer played in a league near by though needless to say he scored millions of runs.

StanTheMan said:
I didn't realise that Headley could even play any more, thought the injury that ended his career meant he could no longer play, whatever the level. Nice to see that he can still play.

As I said, his pace doesn't even trouble our batsmen at Division 4 level but boy o boy is he accurate.

Had a guy in our team last year, not sure of the blokes name but he 3 50's for us and a 79* and he was supposed to be a bowler! Took his wickets at about 13 each and so many i can't remember them! These guys dont half help a team.

In some cases, Bradman, they are the team.

Unfortunately club cricket seems to be becoming more and more money orientated these days!

Anyway, I have an idea of our new pro will be, but I don't want to divulge in case it doesn't fall into place......

Back