Pace Bowling Training Program

Dylan Mathews

G'day guys, im a 17 year old pace bowler and have recently became a memeber at a gym, my current fitness program (that i wrote myself) is not really related to pace bowling and is instead quite general. I have looked over numerous threads on this site amongst other websites and their is no clear off-season training program for pace bowling.

Could someone help me out and try and write up a pace bowling related fitness program or respond with links to websites with clear and difinative work outs that are easy to understand, i've been struggling to write one thus far as i am unaware of good excercises that relate to pace bowling

It would be great if someone could respond with a good, easy to understand pace bowling training circuit or fitness program.

cheers

Hopefully Liz will pick this up and run with it, although be prepared for more questions than answers in the short term (stick with it, I promise it will be worth it). Would be good to get a discussion going as many of us UK coaches are already starting to think about plans for our players for the winter ahead

David H has the following on his website http://www.pitchvision.com/fast-bowler-circuit-training and there also some useful comments in the discussion on the article. If you get the opportunity, see if you can get a copy of the ECBCA (UK coaches association) DVD Wings to Fly Part 4(?) which includes a group circuit for fast bowlers (I will have another look around the web tomorrow if I get the chance)

Hi Dylan

As a pace bowler, the four attributes that I would work on over winter are:

1. Strength: Bench Press, Lat Pull Downs, Shoulder Press and Lunges. Don't worry about getting too bulky, it is actually very hard to get too muscular for fast bowling unless you train specifically to bulk up. This program will not make you too big to bowl fast.

2. Flexibility: Yoga, Dynamic Stretches and Static Streches. Specifically aim to improve flexibility around your hips and shoulders.

3. Speed & Power: Sprint drills and plyometrics. Try 30m uphill sprints on a 15 degree incline. With plyometrics, initially limit your sessions to 20-25 jumps.

4. Stamina: Build a base of fitness (general 3-5km jog), before moving on to fitness drills that are specific to fast bowling. These include shuttle runs and 6X50m sets at 80% running speed with rest times of 20 seconds. What you want to do is simulate the demands of bowling an over with incomplete recovery (which is what happens during an over). Gradually build up your endurance and tolerance to lactic acid by continually challenging yourself as the off season progresses. This can be done by increasing the distance of the sets you run or shortening your rest times.

This is a 4 day rotating program. Perform this on a weekly basis and ensure you get at least 2-3 days of rest every week. Remember, your body only improves and gets stronger during recovery (and not while you train). The last thing a young fella like you needs is an off-season training injury.

All the best.
Freddy.

Guys, I just need some help with my front foot. In the nets I find that I bowl 95km, but when I go on a field, I end up bowling a lot slower. I think this is because when bowling in a match, I always check my front foot and I am afraid this will affect my bowling quality. Can someone help?

Back