Pain in the left arm

Godfather

Pain in the left arm

Yesterday I took some extra load while exercising in the gym and now my left arm is plaining a lot but only when I straighten it else its fine. But i have a match tomorrow, i bat right handed)and now I am really finding it difficult to play the cut shots and the off drives. Please suggest some tips as I don't want to skip the match tomorrow.

Re: Pain in the left arm

Hi Godfather!

Are you in your 20s?

Was this free weights?

What were you doing; was it concentric or eccentric?

Are we talking biceps?

Yup i am 20 years old and yes it was free weights. Actually I worked on the biceps and triceps with the dumbbells and then just increased the load after sometime and now the region from the elbow to the biceps is plaining a bit only when i straighten me left arm. No problems with my right hand though.

This would be a problem with the biceps brachii and, more particularly, the brachialis. Overuse, possible strain. Not too surprising as you are right handed; the muscles in your left arm will be a little weaker, even though you train both the same. Technique will always be a little under 100% with your left arm also, leading to possible injury.

Unfortunately, rest is all that will recover the muscles but if you are set on playing tomorrow, we are talking 'injury limitation' :D

If you still have a little inflammation, ice it. Not directly on the skin and only for 20 minutes in the hour. Repeat as necessary today. Use a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) eg ibuprofen. This can be taken orally or applied as a cream.

If there is no bruising [and this is vitally important], you should heat it in the morning; hot water bottle or sports balm. Take a NSAID when needed and according to directions throughout the day. Keep the arm warm throughout the day and complete a good warm up before the match.

As your left arm will take most of the weight during batting, watch your technique ;)

After the match ice this area and make sure you rest your arm; concentrate on lower body resistance and cardiovascular until Thursday [minimum] and then reduce your resistance until no pain is felt.

Back