panic running

Re: panic running

notrunout;356355 said:
How can I stop panic-running? You feel that you have to score runs fast, the balls only go to fielders, so you take a chance and run. This usually results in a run-out, a result which I am trying to make some kind of plan or resolution about as you can see by my name

An example of good running between the stumps is to be found here Dailymotion - zimsl24 - a Webcam & Vlogs video although once or twice it's slightly wreckless, but I reckon that's always going to be the case.

micoach;358273 said:
Cheers for the feedback.

Sussing out fielders does make a difference. For example, a guy not really paying attention is a lot slower than one waking in and fully focused. With experience you get a sense for when a player is 'on his heels' and you can make it easy. You can also sense when someone is not to be messed with.

You do need good, decisive calling to go with that, but the basic rules cover that if you do it properly.

Also, it works both ways, make sure the opposition don't think you are a weaker fielder too, by being fully focused and ready. Make them respect you.
If you concede less runs, you dont have to run as many!

I'd say listen to your instincts. If you're about to set off and the voice inside your head tells you it's a panic run, then just stay put. Also, if you find you're hitting the ball to the fielders all the time, working on your batting should help avoid run outs. If you learn to hit it into space you'll feel more comfortable when it comes to going for runs.

notrunout;356355 said:
How can I stop panic-running? You feel that you have to score runs fast, the balls only go to fielders, so you take a chance and run. This usually results in a run-out, a result which I am trying to make some kind of plan or resolution about as you can see by my name

Hit boundaries and only take singles to fine leg. Problem solved.

At the start of every over, look around and decide where the quick singles are - and where they're not. Then when the ball squirts off the bat into the infield, you will be able to call immediately and decisively.

Secondly, talk to you partner between overs about who is doing the calling and when, and how positive you intend to be. If you decide you're going to start dropping and running, tell him in advance, don't just surprise him.

We have a rule - that if you haven't started shouting NO before the s of my yes, then its too late, you're running. Indecision causes far more runouts than aggression.

Stop listening to Ian Chappell's commentary! You play in whatever fashion you're comfortable with (unless your team is in a desperate situation). You don't have to force yourself to do something you're not comfortable with because that's what you've been led to believing is what you should be doing.

Back