Patience - the hardest skill?

mas cambios

Patience - the hardest skill?

Seeing as my little look at the mental side of cricket recently has been a bit batsman heavy, it’s time to look a little more at the needs of a bowler.

A vital skill to have is patience, yet it is often overlooked as being boring. Few good batsman are dismissed within 3 or 4 balls so it’s important to be able to apply pressure until a mistake is made. Stopping the flow of runs is the easiest way to this, but this means that you have to be prepared to continue plugging away with ball after ball. This is where the nets can play a key part.

Like many of you, I tend to see the nets as a bit of a lark about. Sure I go there with good intentions but after 10 minutes I’ll be trying out as many different deliveries as I’m able to. This is where having a good coach is handy as he should be able to remind you of the aim of the session and get back to bowling with a plan.

If you haven’t got access to a coach then take a plan along with you, try the classic of bowling 5 balls swinging away from the batsman, and then bringing one in or pushing it a little wider of the crease. Short ball followed by the Yorker but most of all practice getting the ball to hit the top of off. Once you have your man, go back on start again. No matter mundane this is, stick at it, building pressure is the key, no matter what level you play at.

We all like to blast a batting side away but look at the likes of Glenn McGrath and Brett Lee and see who is the most successful; indeed, it was only after Lee decided to work on his patience more that he started to see greater success!

Re: Patience – the hardest skill?

Id just like to add another thing to patience is being patient with you temper. I find if im happy i can run in and slap it in quickly, but when im angry i spray it around, just make sure you get rid of any stress when you get a wicket :D.

Re: Patience - the hardest skill?

im impatient.
but i dont care.
i only had 5 overs a game last year.
and in that 30 balls, there was no time to BUY a wicket.
i had to just go BANG BANG BANG.
but unfortunatly i took 3 for the year.
hopefully this year i can get 8+ overs a game and try and just work more on my line and length rather then things to try and get the batter out every ball.

Back