Pav's Blog.

postmanpav

Pav's Blog.

At the start of the new cricket season this will turn it a full blown blog but as for now just need a few tips.

I have organised a twenty 20 match for our school side.

Our sports teacher is rather slack so I'm going to be captaining and pretty much coaching the team as well.

I have a few ideas at the moment but any tips, advice, drills etc I could use for the first training session? We have access to a pitch but not any nets unfortunately.

Re: Pav's Blog.

Hi Pav,

Best of luck for the match.
I hope u would do well since u have the added responsibility of coaching and captaining as well.

Do update us about the match results.

Virender

Ran the first training session.

Playing a number of twenty20's last season I know how important it is to field well so just did a number of fielding drills.

Most of them don't seem to bad, have four or so weeks until the game.

That's good. When you practise batting I'd suggest just getting them to run singles all the time, rotate the strike and not just go for massive slogs like a lot of young players will. They will think: "T20, cool, let's smash it like D. Warner!". Singles are essential. Drill that into them. And good call about the fielding, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Good stuff pav, fielding is the key. And if your playing an inexperienced side, bowl first IMO, roll the other team cheaply trying to slog, and that way you can be more disciplined as to how you go about chasing the target.

Quick singles are the key.

Yeah, I reckon wickets in hand is the thing to think about. I've been in so many games where we thought we had it with them having a high RRQ, only to watch them smash us to bits in the last few overs.

Ran the second training session on Friday.

Got them to bat in pairs and gave them 3 overs each, the idea being they get as many singles as possible with the odd boundary and minus five for a wicket falling.

Most of them made 10/15 between them, reasonable considering only about 3 of them play cricket.

Although when I was fielding I dived to stop a ball and managed to fracture my finger, It's on my left hand though so I can still bowl. Have got it taped up so should be right by the time the game comes around.

postmanpav;339487 said:
Ran the second training session on Friday.

Got them to bat in pairs and gave them 3 overs each, the idea being they get as many singles as possible with the odd boundary and minus five for a wicket falling.

Most of them made 10/15 between them, reasonable considering only about 3 of them play cricket.

Although when I was fielding I dived to stop a ball and managed to fracture my finger, It's on my left hand though so I can still bowl. Have got it taped up so should be right by the time the game comes around.

Will you be able to bat, I remember when I cracked my thumb it got worse by batting.

I tried a bit of batting just to the slower bowlers but it still bloody hurt, probably will only bowl for now, give batting another go in a couple of weeks and hope for the best.

Yeah, a crakced thumb had me unable to bat for a week, and then I couldnt play or cut for flick off the legs for another 2-3 weeks. But I still batted, just resisting them shots.

Had another training session on Friday, Did the same thing as last week and each pair seemed to be able to add a few runs more which is a good sign.

Cut the squad back from 15 to 11.

I think we could be competitive but if we were to win it would take a big effort from us guys who play cricket outside of school.

The finger is coming a long well and the swelling has come done, no training next Friday because I'm umpiring a game and the Friday after that it's game day. :D

Well tomorrow is the big day lads.

Rumours have been flying around and apparently the opposition have a kid who has travelled to India with the Australian jnrs, BS in my opinion.

A couple of good players have dropped out so I will be opening the batting and bowling.

The finger seems fine now so I'm raring to go.

And we lost.

We batted horribly getting bundled out for 84 off about 18 overs.

We had only four players with cricketing experience, two of them got out cheaply for not many. The third made 25-odd off about the same amount of balls and I made 33 off 15-odd balls. Hit 21 off one over as well :) :
4, 6, 4, 6, 0, 1.

We then went out to field and started off with a bang, two wickets for none off one over. We continued to bowl tight and take wickets but a couple of partnerships killed us. Although I couldn't get into any sort of rhythm I still managed 0/5 off 2 overs. Ended up losing by 3 wickets with 11 balls to spare. Managed to bust another finger :eek:

Until next time, Pav.

postmanpav;343977 said:
And we lost.

We batted horribly getting bundled out for 84 off about 18 overs.

We had only four players with cricketing experience, two of them got out cheaply for not many. The third made 25-odd off about the same amount of balls and I made 33 off 15-odd balls. Hit 21 off one over as well :) :
4, 6, 4, 6, 0, 1.

We then went out to field and started off with a bang, two wickets for none off one over. We continued to bowl tight and take wickets but a couple of partnerships killed us. Although I couldn't get into any sort of rhythm I still managed 0/5 off 2 overs. Ended up losing by 3 wickets with 11 balls to spare. Managed to bust another finger :eek:

Until next time, Pav.

Pathetic:p

Disappointed to read abt the match...but that is cricket...u win some and u lose some...
Any way good to read abt ur batting and bowling---why only 2 overs?
Best of luck for the next match and practice..

Virender

Virendersingh.berthwal;345314 said:
Disappointed to read abt the match...but that is cricket...u win some and u lose some...
Any way good to read abt ur batting and bowling---why only 2 overs?
Best of luck for the next match and practice..

Virender

Although I was keeping it tight I didn't look like taking a wicket and we were in need of one.

Back