Pensioner Pages

That's good to hear! I'd be well chuffed to be playing at 60 plus, what's his secret?

Don't know really, I think the main thing is he doesn't mind if he doesn't really do much, and gets satisfaction from small things like scoring a couple of runs at the end of a match. He only plays friendlies, not league games, but still...

Liz if you're out there...New Injury. My Achilles... Initially thought it was going to be a tear and I'd be off and in a boot for the next 12-18 months, but having gone to the hospital and the bloke doing the Simmonds test, he said I'd only strained it. I've got crutches and been told to take it easy for 3 or 4 days and take pain killers. I don't really feel pain (Stood on a weaver fish so I've got pain in perspective) so I'm resting and using the crutches and getting the injury into Ice baths 3 times a day at the minute. I want it back in action ASAP, so looking at rehab exercises and wondering if this is good to go and how long before I start on this as the hospital don't really give you a lot of direction?
The other thins is in order to prevent this in the future what kind of specific warm up I can use?

Weaver fish certainly do put pain in to perspective... not sure which is worse, the sting or the really hot water!

I am not sure icing is helping you much Dave unless there are any signs of inflammation and if there is, you need to wait until this subsides before you move on to this exercise.

However, if this is the case, put your feet up on the coffee table/foot stool and, with your foot pointing straight up, slowly bring your toes towards your head [dorsiflexion] and back. If this is painless move on.

If you are sure there is no inflammation or brusing, heat the area [heat pad/hot water bottle] before trying the exercise in the video.

If you could let me have a photo/picture showing the exact point of discomfort, I may be able to come back with something else.

Good luck and take care Dave.

Weaver fish certainly do put pain in to perspective... not sure which is worse, the sting or the really hot water!

I am not sure icing is helping you much Dave unless there are any signs of inflammation and if there is, you need to wait until this subsides before you move on to this exercise.

However, if this is the case, put your feet up on the coffee table/foot stool and, with your foot pointing straight up, slowly bring your toes towards your head [dorsiflexion] and back. If this is painless move on.

If you are sure there is no inflammation or brusing, heat the area [heat pad/hot water bottle] before trying the exercise in the video.

If you could let me have a photo/picture showing the exact point of discomfort, I may be able to come back with something else.

Good luck and take care Dave.
Good news by the end of last night there was massive improvements already. I managed to have 4 ice baths all in excess of 20 minutes yesterday including just before going to bed. First thing this morning despite there being no pain, another 15 minute ice bath and then crutches all day at work and sitting down 98% of the day. Another ice bath once I was in 6pm and I'll have another one before bed. So at the moment 20.35, the swelling and the soreness has completely gone. I'll still use crutches for the next couple of days and keep off it as the bloke at the hospital suggested. I'll do as you say with the heat before doing any exercises.
DSCN2978.JPG

Here's my ankles and Achilles - no bruising, no pain, but still being cautious.

Weavers - never managed to get to the boiling water to stop the pain, no-one even suggested it including the life-guards. Toughed it out, not good, took about 4 hours to dispate and about an hour or so after the initial incident the pain felt so bad I felt as though if I'd had a gun to have shot my foot off would have been better option than the pain I was suffering!

New problem - might be due to the reduce activity enforced by the Achilles injury? Tight thigh muscles -most noticeable when I'm resting in bed or relaxing after some bowling. Found this though which seems to helped immediately

Back