Physical requirements in a batsman

john wilson

Physical requirements in a batsman

What are the muscle groups and types used , and the energy requirements needed by a batsman in or order to bat all day to score 100 runs in English climate conditions

Re: Physical requirements in a batsman

From a layman's point of view, I'd guess that you'd be using the most of the main muscle groups, but things like back, arms and legs would be at the top of the list.

Break down what you do when batting and it will give you a rough idea.

John, welcome to the forum by the way! If you like what you then please spread the word!

Thanks for the reply, but its a more complex question than first seems. Yes the main muscle groups, but the energy systems ie Anaerobic, Type IIa muscle fibres, etc, and what type of rehydration would be required during the on field times and what type of food during the lunch /tea breaks

I'm no expert, but from hanging around sC from a few months, I have learned (learnt?) that spotty bananas (yellow, rather than green ones) are a good source of fast energy, and so something to perhaps have just before an innings or during one (at a drinks break) but that green ones are ideal to have about one hour prior to an innings - at tea, for example, when you are opening the subsequent innings.

You should also look for isotonic drinks (the ones with the same sugar concentration as the blood) to consume for quickest energy release prior to an innings.

john wilson said:
Thanks for the reply, but its a more complex question than first seems. Yes the main muscle groups, but the energy systems ie Anaerobic, Type IIa muscle fibres, etc, and what type of rehydration would be required during the on field times and what type of food during the lunch /tea breaks

For a majority of the time it would anaerobic but setting off for a run would be aerobic. However, I'd imagine that there would be some cross over between the two, indeed, going for a 3rd run may well take you into the anaerobic phase.

Fibres are a bit trickier as its a long time since I did A'level Sport studies- although there is an article on Harrowdrive that looks at batting and power in detail, and I believe it touches on elements of this. This may be a starting point - http://www.harrowdrive.com/the-world’s-biggest-guide-to-timing-the-cricket-ball/

Food and drink wise - manee is pretty much spot on. You would also need to consider what was being eaten before and after the game as well.

The amount of rehydration would vary according to the weather conditions but every 15 overs (or hour) seems to be the norm in test cricket.

Hi John,

It would appear that you have an agenda here ;) I suspect any 'generalised' answer is not going to satiate you.

Start a thread on the Fitness and Nutrition Forum, I am sure David and I can answer all your questions. Of course, we would need to know more eg, your age, fitness level, level of competition etc.

In the meantime, take a look at post January 15, 2008, 01:34:46 PM in http://www.simplycricket.net/fizzy-drinks-t430.0.html;msg14411#msg14411 for hydration.

Oh, I would advise you stay away from green bananas too ;) but take a look at all the nutritional threads, they may answer some questions.

Back