Playing Bouncy Bowling

FBI

Playing Bouncy Bowling

As stated in other areas of the site, I am a lower order to tailend batsman and although bowling will always be my number one concern, I wish too to improve my batting. I am a left handed batsman by the way.

I am quite a rounded batsman, anything full I will drive with very good power and anything wide and short I can cut away, both shots going for four 10 times out of 10 if they do not go straight to a fielder. I can also play wristy flicks to length and full balls off my legs.

My main problem comes against bouncy bowling, although I can usually handle up to about 65mph*, I can't handle anything above 60mph if it is bouncy. I have a natural trigger movement against it which is moving the front foot away from the ball, most likely out of fear. When I end up plucking up the courage to stay in line, it either hits me on the arse or I catch the outside edge off the Right Arm Over angle.

Has anyone got any drills or tips to help me with this as I am awful against bouncy bowling and end up getting hit a lot as well as looking severely tailendish.

*Obviously, at the level I play, anyone running in is counted as a pace bowler and 65mph is about fast-medium by the standard.

Re: Playing Bouncy Bowling

Best thing, go up against a brick wall with a mate and a tennis ball, get your mate to throw it at the wall, and some will be harder than others and at differnt hights coming back to you, you attempt to hit them cleanly, thats just a back yard mess around thing.

Best thing is, is to stay on your toes, allowing yourself the chance to jump or reach upwards on your toes to get ontop of the ball.

Best thing? Get your quickest bowler in the team to bowl at you short and bounce it up in the nets! You'll fast improve!

Bat approx 50 cms out of your crease. If he is quick the keeper will be back, so you wont have any possibility of getting stumped. Once you are that far forward he has to bowl it real short to be able to bounce you. You also get more fuller deliveries which brings your drive into play and as you begin scoring lots of runs against him there is more chance he will be taken off soon.

Though the batting out of your crease tip is tried and tested you do need to use it with a bit of discretion, some pitches are, shall we say, more suited to using it than others and you also need to bear in mind that by bringing yourself closer to the bowler you're reducing the amount of time you have to react.

As I always say there is no substitute to practice and just having time in the nets against fast, short pitched bowling with help no end. Even just getting more comfortable about facing the short pitched ball can help your game.

I'm a terrible batsmen. I also suck at facing short bowling. I can never get into position and get over the top of the ball. I usually always get top edges. And for some reason, I can't duck them. Any help?

To Sean:
How fit are you?
For your question i will start with a bit of basic fitness and athleticism as it sounds like you need to move better to get into position. Try lots of calf exercises to give you that fast movement with your feet: eg stand on one leg, do 20-30 slow calf raises(dont hold onto anything). Then do 15-30 fast calf raises. This will also exercise the balance muscles in your legs.

Also do lots of fast burpees which exercise your arms and back as well as your thighs for those big strides. This will improve core body strength and get you used to a combined leg and arm movement, which is what batting involves.

Skipping works really well at the calf exercises but also exercises your forearms and shoulders. Note doing skipping and burpees in the same session is extra hard therefore keep them seperate at first.

Focus on doing smaller numbers of exercises at speed rather than large amounts.

Overall this will improve your muscle co-ordination and at the very least, psychologically make you more determined as you wont feel like getting out in a hurry after you've worked so hard during the week to improve your performance. Batting is a lot more hard work than people give it credit and you have to have a high level of concentration when tired.

I'm quite skinny. I don't think I have the best posture either. I wouldn't say I'm the fittest of people.

Btw, what are burpees?

To Sean:
A: Burpees: http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm
BUt I would miss out the jump at the top.

B: Update to the original position: I just faced a quick bowler over the weekend. Quickest I have faced in a long time, therefore I have a few updates as my memory was quickly jogged.
1: You need to get back and across, or more specifically: get inside the line of the ball if you want to hook it and back to give you a fraction more time.
2: you need a lightish bat to get high bat speed as it is a big stroke and you need to be through with it rather quickly.
3: you need confidence. That either comes with lots of practise or ego: if you wimp out of the shot you prob wont make it. It helps to stand tall.
4: it also helps to pick the bouncer early: you will prob get a feeling he's going to give you one:(like this weekend he was giving me 3 out of 6, so I always had a 50/50 chance). Additionally you should see him release the ball late or be leaning forward as he bangs it in short.

This is more of how to deal with fast bowling in general but I think it'll hlpe in facing the short pitched stuff!

First of all, stick to the basics.

- Keep the feet shoulder width apart in the stance for better balance and reduced reaction time.

- Make a swift judgement and let your shoulder and head lead towards the line of ball.

- Start the downswing quickly after the bowler has released the ball.

- Shorter steps towards the line of the ball than usual is key.

- Hit the ball in the middle of the bat and exploit the pace, no need to hit it hard. "Less is more" here.

manee said:
As stated in other areas of the site, I am a lower order to tailend batsman and although bowling will always be my number one concern, I wish too to improve my batting. I am a left handed batsman by the way.

I am quite a rounded batsman, anything full I will drive with very good power and anything wide and short I can cut away, both shots going for four 10 times out of 10 if they do not go straight to a fielder. I can also play wristy flicks to length and full balls off my legs.

My main problem comes against bouncy bowling, although I can usually handle up to about 65mph*, I can't handle anything above 60mph if it is bouncy. I have a natural trigger movement against it which is moving the front foot away from the ball, most likely out of fear. When I end up plucking up the courage to stay in line, it either hits me on the arse or I catch the outside edge off the Right Arm Over angle.

Has anyone got any drills or tips to help me with this as I am awful against bouncy bowling and end up getting hit a lot as well as looking severely tailendish.

*Obviously, at the level I play, anyone running in is counted as a pace bowler and 65mph is about fast-medium by the standard.

my advice is get a mate/coach or someone...
to go to the nets with ya, and get em to stand half way down the pitch and bounce bouncers at you at a slow pace and gradually speed it up the better your getting at it.
and in matches dont be afraid of it hitting you.
use what you practiced and have a go at it.

Well, if that is the case, play in the nets with full protection on and tell someone to bowl some gentle medium pace to you (which will be about 80kph). Let the ball hit you, as crazy as it is, once you realise how little 80kph hurts, you will be able to be not scared at all of 100kph which won't hurt much either.

From there, some progression training interspersed with A_As tips should help you get your tolerance up further.

Sean as scary as it sounds a cricket ball hitting you isn't that painful.

More often than you'll just be left a bruise which will be tender for a day or so, you'd be unlucky to break anything, especially if wearing decent kit. A chest guard may help, along with an arm guard.

I used to have same problems with short bowl but then i used to practice by throwing the ball at the wall so that it comes at bouncer height and practice to play. Then I became adjusted to playing the pull shot to high balls and leaving very high balls.I did it in my home because we get nets only on weekends but I had to stop after I broke the window and the ball went outside and hit some car :lol:

All thats been said is very valid, but no one looked at the point about the edge :laugh:

You're best way to overcome edging a bouncy track is to get the bat out of the way the most effectively, and usually thats over your head or just away, but on a 100% bouncy track with no "mis-hap," balls, your best bet is to keep the bat on the ground into your pads, that way, you're not having to put the bat beyong eye level, plus it'll bounce away, so will miss everything! Sound wierd i know :p But Cricket is a wierd game!

Try to not to over complicate things, if you're going to go for the ball then go for it 100%, if you plan on ducking it then make sure you keep your eye on the ball and keep the bat low.

I could almost cry sometimes, just hit the ball, if it hits you, so be it.

That's why the helmet was invented.

Back