playing on off side

i bat at number 4 for my team

i can flick the ball off my pads and play the pull shot alright

and most of my runs come on the leg side

so when it comes to playing at something outside off stump,

i struggle with it and seem to miss it most of the time

any ideas on how to improve on that and be able to score runs on the off side

Re: playing on off side

Get your dad to give you throw downs with balls outside off stump, and practise your drives and cuts. i used to have the same problem, but i just kept practising and now i feel i am even on both sides of the pitch

maybe you struggle with those shots because you dont move your feet enough, because with leg side shots foot work isnt paramount to success

thanks for that mate

when i attempt to play a cover drive

i think my front foot is pointing striaght down the pitch

that is probably where i am going wrong yeah

yeah, that would be it

im afraid theres no easy solution, just lots of throw downs in the nets. if your willing to put in the effort then it would be well worth your while :D

When driving through the off side on the front foot, make sure as much of your back foot stays on the ground as possible. This will help with 1) Balance & 2) Power.

try playing the cover drive on the eye in.....

has helped me a little... also make sure ur playing the cover drive to the right length ball.... i kno my eyes light up 2 a ball outside off... but some lengths are more difficult when driving..

m8 u shud kno i given up on da eye-in
bat better without it

and yea ill keep dat in mind bout da lengths

crictrack said:
When driving through the off side on the front foot, make sure as much of your back foot stays on the ground as possible. This will help with 1) Balance & 2) Power.

while i agree a part of your foot should b on the ground... the ball of the foot is plenty enough to have planted firmly on the ground... any more then this and u run the risk of not having the weight correctly transferred to the front foot....

personal opinion :)

(great link manee)

what jimmy said is perfect, there's nothing better than practicing. The more time you spend in the nets the more easy the shots
on the off-side will become

Just to add on.
When facing the fast bowlers; what sort of technique or shots u should attempt to the ball pitched just out the Off Stump at a good length spot.

m8 if youre not experience at playing a ball like that... your best bet would prob. b to get a feeling of where your stumps are and leave it....

if you r experienced then if its just outside off you could drive it straightish or give yourself a little room and cover drive it... all depends on your batting style.

AUSSIE_BOY said:
b to get a feeling of where your stumps are and leave it....

if you r experienced then if its just outside off you could drive it straightish or give yourself a little room and cover drive it... all depends on your batting style.
Leaving the ball or driving straight or giving room to cover drive is not possible everytime especially against good pace.
Against spin it is a possibility.
I wanted to know the approach by each one of u when facing the quicker ones.

if you watch the ball carefully like me your body will automatically move either on the front foot or the back foot.
But if your still uncomfartable then the best thing you can do is play a push-drive. It's very useful if your not sure what shot to play
on the off-side, as you wont lose your wicket & you'll still be able to get runs from it.If your on the back foot you'll want to play it past point
& if your on the front foot then you'll have to push it past cover

Back