Playing slow bowling

FBI

Playing slow bowling

Two questions from me, a tailender who wants to score a few more twenties this season:

What is the best way to play bowling which has absolutely no dimensions to it besides accuracy. The sort of dead straight, dead slow, movementless bowling which you get in School 2nd XI games or Sunday friendly games - 45-50mph on the spot stuff.

How do you play the old man spinners who bowl flat spin which doesn't spin and tend to dart it in on a fullish length. It is not there for the drive and it is outside off stump which eliminates the hoik.

Re: Playing slow bowling

In answer to the first question, well, there are a few things you could try.

Bearing in mind that there is a good chance the keeper will be standing back (thinking more of school cricket here) there is no danger of stumping, so take a good step out of the crease (as much as a yard) as this can help to unsettle the bowler. Even if a keeper is there as long as you get your foot back in quickly you should be able to in and out of the crease without too much worry.

Don't be afraid to also make dummy movements (fake it to make it appear that you're coming down the wicket) - again it can help to unsettle them and hopefully chuck in a few wider deliveries.

Also, learn to sweep with confidence as it can be a very productive shot against slower bowling, especially if you're not so hot on the drive.

As for the flat, fast spin, one way is to help deflect it by using a late cut. It may not get you a lot of runs but can be a way to at least rotate the strike. Again, take guard slightly out of the crease (although be wary of the stumping threat if the keeper is standing up). If you can regularly rotate the strike and score 5/6/7 runs per over of these types of bowlers it can really mess with their lines etc and make it a doddle to attack and really up the run rate.

Don't be afraid to attack it (watch a few deliveries first to help get your eye in though) if you need to, get in line and hit with the spin (if any).

Just disrupt their line and length, and don't try and play cross batted strokes across the line, thats exactly what they're looking for. Bat outside your crease, come down the pitch, sweep, or just try playing over the top down the ground or drive down the ground. If they're really slow you should be able to set yourself and play the shot that you want to play, just don't let them dictate to you, make sure you dictate their line and length, come down the pitch to a ball and make sure you get 4, then you'll often get a short ball. It's just putting them off their line and length, if you let them settle they'll grow in confidence and get you out.

Oh and also since you said 'dead slow' I'll also advice you to wait on a little longer than usual before playing your shot. It's always better playing it a little late than playing it early and giving an easy return catch to the bowler or a fielder standing inside the circle...

Watch the ball all the way onto the bat as it will be going that little slower so make sure you concentrate. Before you make and big shots look where they are pitching the all and if they pitch it there consistently, as then you can prepare. Play at your own tempo and make sure that if you are going to go for a big shot that you don't decided all of a sudden that you are going to pull out. Coming down the ground would be important but only if the keeper is to far to stump you.

manee said:
Two questions from me, a tailender who wants to score a few more twenties this season:

What is the best way to play bowling which has absolutely no dimensions to it besides accuracy. The sort of dead straight, dead slow, movementless bowling which you get in School 2nd XI games or Sunday friendly games - 45-50mph on the spot stuff.
I someone bowls like that to me I get 20 in one over. Its very tempting to slog across the line but its important to resist the temptation. I think when playing against slow bowlers its very important to wait for the ball to come to you and play straight down the ground mostly.

Attack them. Step out of your crease; your a tailender so you shouldn't really be worrying about your wicket.
Dance down. Smash them down the leg side or straight back over the bowlers head.
Chase the wide ones; Use the Sachin Paddle-Sweep. Because i'm a left handed batsman alot of "bad" spinners bowl it around my legs/ wide of leg. I get down as low as possible, slam it behind me.
I can't sweep, but It would help to have that in your armory.
All I can say is get on the front foot and try to attack them, especially down the ground.

If they are just pitching it on or outside off stump, learn either the sweep or defensive reverse sweep, theres a video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKR7XUuw0bE&feature=related]here[/ame]. Its a good way to get to the other end. Either that or using your feet or moving round your crease, maybe opening up the on-side

m8 my opinion is when playing this "old man" spin which has a tendancy to get ALOT! of wickets sometimes... is that u have to have patience... these persistent buggers will have the same line and length for majority of their spell.. BUT they WILL change their length / line sooner or later to entice u... take up on this.....

also the longer you face it and adapt to it. it will become easier to push / nudge singles or slash to the boundary...

just my opinion m8 ;)

Cricketman said:
Attack them. Step out of your crease; your a tailender so you shouldn't really be worrying about your wicket.
Dance down. Smash them down the leg side or straight back over the bowlers head.
Chase the wide ones; Use the Sachin Paddle-Sweep. Because i'm a left handed batsman alot of "bad" spinners bowl it around my legs/ wide of leg. I get down as low as possible, slam it behind me.
I can't sweep, but It would help to have that in your armory.
All I can say is get on the front foot and try to attack them, especially down the ground.
Stepping down the crease is a good idea but I dont think its worth the risk if the ball isnt spinning. If the keeper is standing far too behind to stump you then its not a bad idea though.
Im not a big fan of sweeping spinners but if they stray down leg I like to play the paddle sweep like Sachin or the strange shot that Dhoni does when he hits it straight behind the keeper.
I love to attack the spinners. They need to be shown their place.

Yeah - with regards to us old man spinners - I like suggestion 2 made by King of slaves - "Skip down the track, hunt the ball." Do that - you know it makes sense!

as a wicket keeper theres nothing more i like than a tailender leaving his crease! if i was a tail ender who wanted to score runs i'd play the game! defend the straight ones wait for frustration to build and punish everything bad! ive seen good bowlers get frustrated and try to hard!

Back