playing slow straight bowlers

scorpsteals

playing slow straight bowlers

I am an opener and I usualy am pretty good playing the fast bowlers. I however have problems playing the slow bowlers who bowl with the new ball. Any advice? Also I am not able to convert my starts into big ones. Usually I am successful in seeing off the new ball but after that usually I get out.

Re: playing slow straight bowlers

With the slow bowlers there is no pace on the ball so it is annoying that they start and put it on that 50p pence perfect line with no pace.
Make them think a little bit by advancing and you'll pyut them under pressure and make them think a little bit and it'll ruin their concentration of putting it on that spot and they'll have to try and change it if ur advancing to them and make them into half volleys.Make them think and make them change their line with advancing if he bowls it shorter then and u havent advanced to that one it will be short and becus theres no pace it will just sit up and be there to be smacked.

With the good starts but no scores take u time most people rush into trying to score after blocking for a while and get themselves out being impatient.Take ur time and get back to me with ur next scores m8.

Good Luck ;)

Usually with slow bowlers the keeper is standing up. So I am not too confident coming down the track. But I can surely move in the crease or act as if I am coming down the track and see what happens. Usally the ball swings more for slow bowlers. Also I like the ball coming onto the bat.

As for my low scores its not that I am getting impatient. I am just finding different ways of getting out. Out of 4 innings I have played so far this season the credit goes to the bowler for 2 of my dismissals edged to the keeper unplayable deliveries. As for the other 2, 1 I got lbw by a slow bowler and the other one trying to pull a short ball asking to be hit. I hit the bottom of the bat and gave a catch in the deep.

Yes the keeper will be coming up but practice coming down the wicket in nets to a slower bolwer and get used to practice coming down the track not every ball just a few times to put him off his rythym. Yes u can also give him a shufflwe to act as if ure coming and he'll drop it short and with no pace it shud be punished.If you dont want to come down the crease at all use ur crease shuffle around it in move about a bit and make him think about changing his length but uve got to do something or these slow bolwers will keep putting it on that annoying line.I know i'm one myself. ;) :D

As for ure low scores not converting with 4 innings 2 unplayable deliveries,and the other just seem unlucky to me.Your big score will come. :cool

As I think has been mentioned, the key to playing the slow, straight bowlers is to look to throw them off their game. Whether you do this by using your feet or by just rotating the strike (6 singles an over is a great way of doing this), the more you can upset their line the easier it'll get.

Remember they want you to get frustrated and attempt to hit out - patience is the key. It may be just be that you have to accept you're not going to score quickly off them on any particular day and go after the other bowlers - make sure you have more than one plan!

In terms of low scores, then break the game down, don't focus on what you have but on the next 5, 10, 15 runs etc. Keep your focus and remember that what you already have in the bag is irrelevant, it's about how many more you can add.

The tempation with slower bowlers is to try to hit them too hard and to go for the big shots and get caught (or bowled lifting your head). I think there are two options here.

1. Keep the scoreboard ticking over with singles off as many balls as possible. It's amazing how many gaps you can find when you are looking for them and given the pace of the bowler you should have plenty of time to think about it. If they are conceding 5 or 6 easy runs per over with no sign of a wicket it won't be long before they try something else which might suit you better.

2. If you need to push the score on a bit quicker, make sure you get your body weight over the ball (head still over the front foot) and hit the ball along the ground. These slower straight bowlers rely on getting batsmen caught playing rash shots trying to hit the cover off it. Don't give them the chance.

As far as getting yourself out and not moving on to bigger scores is concerned, this is either going to be a question of fitness or concentration (or possibly both).

Assuming you are in reasonable physical fitness give yourself targets, either individual or team if you don't know what your score is. Keep those in your head and use them to motivate yourself to stay in. I used to find 20/25/30/40/50 were my initial targets once I got myself in. From there onwards you can again go up in 10s or if you're playing well 20s.

If fitness or stamina is an issue then I suggest you consult David's Harrowdrive.com for tips.

how're you getting out to them? Caught? Bowled? Stumped? Bounced into oblivion? Full toss LBW? ahaha.. well the first 3 atleast.

Darren,
Your advice is spot on.
But one suggestion;how tackle them during the later part of inngs i.e at slog overs when we are pushing for big score.

An excellent follow on question.

It obviously depends on what sort of run rate you are chasing but if it's less than 6 an over you still don't need to be trying to smash it everywhere. This is a common mistake. If you watch the pro's playing 50 over cricket (forget Twenty 20 for a moment - different game!), they rarely start trying to hit it over the top until the last 5 overs or so. There are always plenty of gaps in the field if you work the ball around and it is surprisingly easy to take 6 runs an over (or more if you get a bad ball).

As a rule if you need a lot per over, e.g. 10+ runs, the golden rule is play straight. If you play straight and keep your head still (lifting the head is the most common cause of getting out in the last few overs) you will give yourself every chance of getting to your target. Cross batted swipes across the line will invariably end in disaster unless you have a particularly good eye.

In summary, play straight and don't panic.

DarrenTalbotCricket said:
play straight and don't panic.

Great advice alright. I bowl (mostly) straight and fairly slow, and there is nothing I like better than seeing the batsman trying to whack it around the place and playing across the line. The problem with the slower ball is that you have to provide all the power to make it go anywhere, which makes timing it more difficult. So to give yourself the best chance - stick with playing straight or work it around without trying to smash it.

just take your time.... it can be easy to score off of slow straight bowlers. just pick your shots and gaps and as said above. Rotate the strike....

Back