Please help me with my batting

OllieN56

Please help me with my batting

I regulary score tons in the nets but I have trouble feeling relaxed in a match.
I never stay in long enough to get runs. In adult cricket, i tend to face about 7 balls and then get out for 0 or 1, or face a few with some quick fours and then get out.

I welcome any tips for improvement.

Re: Please help me with my batting

First of all welcome to the forums i hope you keep coming back and enjoy your stay. :D

Secondly aswell as this thread you could post your question to Peter Wellings if you what proffesional help which you can find here http://www.simplycricket.net/we_need_your_coaching_questions-t264.0.html;msg1641#msg1641

And finally, i struggle quite a bit with this, all i can recommend is make sure you got a figure in your mind before you go out the bat about how many runs you want. For example think you want 20 once you get there start chucking the bat at it but make sure its a score your comfortable. Another thing to do is make sure you switch off between balls, whatever makes you tick that isnt about cricket you should think about be it song lyrics or predicting football scores switching off between balls is crucial if your going to be out there for a while. Just make sure you remember to turn back on when the bowler comes in to bowl :p.

OllieN56 said:
I regulary score tons in the nets but I have trouble feeling relaxed in a match.
I never stay in long enough to get runs. In adult cricket, i tend to face about 7 balls and then get out for 0 or 1, or face a few with some quick fours and then get out.

I welcome any tips for improvement.

I think you are going to have to give more information than that. How do you get out? Do you not protect your stumps?

Ask an adult about how you bat and what your strengths and weaknesses are, this will help us help you. As for transferring net batting into matches, the key is just to relax when you are in a match, judging on what you have told us, noone is going to be expected much from you, so just go out there and have fun like you would in nets.

As my fellow admin has said, welcome to the forum,I hope you enjoy your time here.

Firstly, do you manage to score regularly against cricketers of your own age? If you do then you may just have to be patient and allow yourself to catch up with the adults that you play against.

It took me some time to feel totally comfortable playing adult cricket.

Secondly, it sounds like you are having trouble relaxing, which can be a very easy or difficult problem to remedy. I would suggest having some throwdowns or even a net before you go into bat.

This will help to get the blood pumping, your feet moving and hopefully put you in the right frame of mind for batting.

Don't try to think too much about what's going on out in the middle, just concentrate on your own game. Think about playing the first 6 balls, getting your feet to the pitch, and the a straight bat behind the ball. Take a deep breathe and then play out the next ball.

By picturing what is going to happen it will allow you to feel more at ease when you're actually out there.

Thanks for the tips guys, in response to your question Manee, I normally have a pretty solid forward defensive, and tend to get out caught ;even though I had put two extra halves of grip on the bottom part of the handle lol.
I had pretty much a bad season, which I think is mainly due to hard family year, I had 4 innings for our under 16s team, where I scored 0,0,4 and 19*(on a wet pitch getting wetter :)) The bat I used was a harrow, and was slightly too small for me, so it is hard to play over the top and nudge into gaps with ease. I have a SH Slazenger SXi that i was knocking in.

I will ask the adults what they think I am good/bad at and try to improve.

Is it a good idea to think of where I am going to score instead of just thinking about trying to scoring?
And try and work my way up in 5s?

OllieN56 said:
Thanks for the tips guys, in response to your question Manee, I normally have a pretty solid forward defensive, and tend to get out caight ;even though I had put two extra halves of grip on the bottom part of the handle lol.
I had pretty much a bad season, which I think is mainly due to hard family year, I had 4 innings for our under 16s team, where I scored 0,0,4 and 19*(on a wet pitch getting wetter :)) The bat I used was a harrow, and was slightly too small for me, so it is hard to play over the top and nudge into gaps with ease. I have a SH Slazenger SXi that i was knocking in.

I will ask the adults what they think I am good/bad at and try to improve.

Is it a good idea to think of where I am going to score instead of just thinking about trying to scoring?
And try and work my way up in 5s?

I have heard the theory of working up in fives but then a fifty is gigantic, 10 sets of 5. I don't agree.

If your problem is getting caught in the infield, get someone to tape you in the nets and if a lot of the drives are uppish then it could be one of three things which I want you to look out for:

-You may be bottom handed which means that you to playing all shots into the air. Could also be related to a grip low on the bat.
-You are playing drives too early
-You are playing drives too infront of your body

Once you have identified which of these it is, you can progress further.

While we are on the topic of mental approach. I find that whatever I expect, never happens. I expected to do bad in my maths test, I got 97%, I expected to do well in English assignment, I got 7/10 (not good). So every ball, think "I am going to get out", and you will find that as long as you think that, you never will.

However, the mind has a funny way of making you forget so don't count on the tactic.

Further to what you said, manee, I just each ball as a separate event. Once it's happened, its happened and I forget about it.

Back